Devs Please stop the mandatory covers in PvE

Options

Comments

• Uh there's a very simple way to get Psylocke, buy the pack that guarantees you the Psylocke. Otherwise, participate in the 1* Skirmish event that's specifically designed for low level players.

But you're right, it sucks that that players who play this game a lot get to progress and players that don't play this game a lot have to work harder for progression or else pay for a short cut.

Wait no, you're wrong, it doesn't suck at all that it's like that.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    Uh there's a very simple way to get Psylocke, buy the pack that guarantees you the Psylocke. Otherwise, participate in the 1* Skirmish event that's specifically designed for low level players.

But you're right, it sucks that that players who play this game a lot get to progress and players that don't play this game a lot have to work harder for progression or else pay for a short cut.

Wait no, you're wrong, it doesn't suck at all that it's like that.

Still missing the point. Progressing or not has zilch to do with how the events are currently set up to monetize essential characters.

Ofcourse, if a player has already built up a roster far enough to consistently place top 50s or top 10s, then that's not a problem anymore, since effectively you're in the fast lane then. Does it feel good cruising there? Well, does it?
    Inquiring minds would like to know: does it feel good, cruising there in the fast lane and acting like a ****?
  • Does it feel good crying like a baby because nobody is holding your hand? There's plenty of ways to get Psylocke. If you didn't/don't get one, that's on you, and nobody else.

But you're right, this game should be free! Free everything! No money to the devs whatsoever!
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    Does it feel good crying like a baby because nobody is holding your hand? There's plenty of ways to get Psylocke. If you didn't/don't get one, that's on you, and nobody else.

But you're right, this game should be free! Free everything! No money to the devs whatsoever!

That's funny; now please, hold on, hold on.
    Sit down, because I'm about to blow your world...

I have her, actually. Pulled her from an event token.

Sooooo... this entire thing was not me complaining after all. Could it be, maybe, yes, maybe that I was lending voice to a legitimate complaint?
    And could it be that being the **** you are, you were unable to pull your mind out of the fast track long enough to recognize that?

Now...
    Can we please drop the ad hominem and return to normal discussion?
    Thank you!
  • It is you complaining. Just because you're whining on behalf of a bunch of people that aren't speaking up doesn't mean you aren't whining.
  • Progressing or not has zilch to do with how the events are currently set up to monetize essential characters.

Time out, here.

Did you pay for the right download this game (or anyone for that matter)? Nope. Last time I checked, it cost $0.00 to acquire and start playing MPQ.

Do you think that the devs work for free? That running the servers or consuming electricity is without cost? That MPQ is a charity event for the world?

As a F2P game, that you did **not** spend a single penny on purchasing, the devs have every right to monetize the game as they see fit.

Now, if they charged everyone $15.99, a la Square RPGs on mobile devices, then you have a valid case. But, your argument does not hold in a F2P environment.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    Sooooo... this entire thing was not me complaining after all. Could it be, maybe, yes, maybe that I was lending voice to a legitimate complaint?
    And could it be that being the **** you are, you were unable to pull your mind out of the fast track long enough to recognize that?

Now...
    Thank you!

So to sum up
    yet again

you're complaining - not for yourself - but for the downtrodden masses who're too scared of the fascist demiurge to speak up for themselves
    and despite absolutely nobody else agreeing with you you insist its a problem

well done you should volunteer for building a well in a 3rd world country or something
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I feel newer players get a really good chance to start climbing up -- It's recently been noticed by "outcries" that the top of PVP event are filled with people with low level characters. That's because the lower level players MMR are low. If they have a decent one or two star team, and havn't played PVP at all yet, they can easily cruise a few tourneys to the top (as seen from the outcries, of course)-> if the new players pick the right tourneys they can get some great 3* covers to help boost them up.
    I think it's been the case that the featured character in a PVE event is a reward in PVP events at the same time.

I remember Patch being a reward for some tourney, and I remember Ares' rage and ruin tourney. I believe both were right after the event that first rewarded them. And Psylocke was in the Lone star event.

Yeah, it is hard I'd presume to progress far in PVE with the last released character to get the big boost. But you'll get there in time. It's all about progressing, really. That's one reason why they also have other characters boosted, and in a way that benefits lower level characters more than higher:
    The boosts now are seemingly (sorta) static (it's not really static). But it's kinda like Your Character Level + boost + (variable amount) for all stats.
    For instance, my level 12 Magneto Marvel Now has 2230 hp boosted, 630 hp regular-- it's not a % boost.

It's hard to say if you can place top 75 overall without the required 3* character, however.
  • In PvE the boosts function more like adding X levels to a character. I use 50 for minor and 100 for major boost as an approximation of what you should expect in PvE events.
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Time out, here.
    Did you pay for the right download this game (or anyone for that matter)? Nope. Last time I checked, it cost $0.00 to acquire and start playing MPQ.
    Do you think that the devs work for free? That running the servers or consuming electricity is without cost? That MPQ is a charity event for the world?
    As a F2P game, that you did **not** spend a single penny on purchasing, the devs have every right to monetize the game as they see fit.
    Now, if they charged everyone $15.99, a la Square RPGs on mobile devices, then you have a valid case. But, your argument does not hold in a F2P environment.

What does the business model have to do with being able to criticize. Companies don't publish F2P out of philanthropy, they do it because it might pay off better in the end. And yes you're right the devs have every right to monetize like they want, but that doesn't put them above criticism.
  • I only started playing somewhat recently, but I could have gotten a psych cover pretty easily since I managed to get to rank 35 in the last few hours because I wanted to get the 50 hero point prize at 500. However Wolverine covers required my more immediate attention and I'd have a bunch of chances to get psylocke later anyway, so I just let my self drop down to top50. I dont really see the issue with people not being able to get covers if I could do it had I had the intention to.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Whats strange to me is that all of a sudden I have pulled 3 Magneto MNs from standard tokens within the past 24 hours. Now there is a PVE that requires him but I dont have the roster space to add him. But when you look at the points gained from that round its about the same as 1 1/2 of the others. So I just grind a bit more and its no big deal.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just don't like the double hit you take. 1. You don't have the cover so you cant' do the event. 2. You miss out on points, yes there is rubberbanding, but you still miss out on points, and free ISO, bonuses, and packs.

I say if a character is a requirement, which I don't mind, have it as a lvl 10 or 12, that way if you have the character you still have a lvl bonus for extra damage and HP, and if you don't you can at least play
  • paralistalon
    Options
    I don't mind mandatory covers... it gives some players an extra bonus, and you just need to keep one cover for the character to play it. If you get an Invisible Woman, it at least gives you something in the short term... otherwise, you'd be waiting around to get another half dozen of her covers before she was even usable. It also tends to give players an advantage for competing in the previous event.
  • I'm in the camp that likes mandatory covers. As far as F2P models go, this game is on the low end of rewarding the customer base just for playing. The F2P model relies on building empathy with your customers so they keep coming back. If a massive multi-day event like the PVE grinds rewarded us with just 1-3 covers, it is (as others have said) not much of a reward b/c the player is unplayable until you get more covers. So the covers you get from the prior PVE help you out in the next PVE just a little bit - you get rewarded by getting access to an extra mission each sub, but by no means is it easy given that you're sitting on a level 15 or 18 character.

So in a normal scenario, I get a small leg up in one tourney for busting my butt in a prior tourney. That's a good F2P reward. A competitive edge for playing without hindering others too much.

For what it's worth, I got 2 Psylocke covers in her release tourney without a 4/5 blue spidey. And I picked up a single Psylocke cover in the 1* tourney using a non-maxed out team (my poor Storm started at level 7 and ended at level 30). So anyone who complains that it's too difficult to get these exclusive covers is simply choosing not to play this game; otherwise you should be fine to get most of the rewards in this game.
  • _RiO_ wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    Does it feel good crying like a baby because nobody is holding your hand? There's plenty of ways to get Psylocke. If you didn't/don't get one, that's on you, and nobody else.

That's funny; now please, hold on, hold on.
    Sit down, because I'm about to blow your world...

I have her, actually. Pulled her from an event token.

Now...
    Thank you!

Save your breath. Jozier here thinks he's some kind of internet superhero where no one has the right to voice discontent. He feels the need to attack every single person who speaks badly of this game. He will try everything in his power to insult, troll, and distract you.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    Progressing or not has zilch to do with how the events are currently set up to monetize essential characters.

Time out, here.

What's interesting about your arguement is you say it is F2P and they have a right to monetize it as they see fit. So it's not really F2P anymore is it? You just argued against yourself. I 100% agree that they can charge money whenever they want, but don't let players not do something unless they pay to get her. Yes you can win her, but they biggest issue on this, is you follow up with her intro PvE event, followed by her being a required character, they need to give some space. I prefer the F2P but pay to enhance, then the F2P, pay to win model. League of Legends is a perfect example. The game is 100% free to play, they rotate champs, you don't have to spend a dime, you get free points to purchase characters. But...if you want skins, or special wards, or more champs faster, then yes, you have to pay, I wish more games were like that.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    ^ True dat. TF2 and Dota 2 are some of the most successful F2P games as well and they mostly only ask money for cosmetic items, anything else you get for free randomly and most of it isn't required to enjoy the game. Just no requirements whatsoever to see the full content.
  • TF2 is a terrible example because it didn't start F2P and it's also sponsored by a billion dollar company that makes most of its money from Steam nowadays.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    TF2 is a terrible example because it didn't start F2P and it's also sponsored by a billion dollar company that makes most of its money from Steam nowadays.
    Who cares? TF2 became much more popular exactly when it went F2P. Valve made much more money than before exactly thanks to the expanded player base. Its F2P model is something many games could use regardless of TF2's history. The more people can play and enjoy the game, the more the eventual profit.