*** Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy) ***

191011121315»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    For use in her own right, I think 5/3/5 is the way to go.

The strategy is pretty clear. Rush black and green, drop a ton of strike tiles and then decent aoe damage. cleanup the 3rd enemy (if still alive) with whatever red you have collected along the way. then mop up.

It's a solid design and an enjoyable tactic, with just a few problems: (1) he strike tiles are bit weak; she needs more and/or stronger strikes. It's too hard to get real value from this ability, requiring both 4 black matches, and a bunch of clear, and un-matchable yellow tiles. (2) she has no defense whatsoever, but her powers require her to tank colors. This design choice works for patch, who has regen, and arguable even vision, who can put out a blue countdown after just 2 matches. But it's a real problem for gamora. She needs to tank colors to be effective, but her best strategy takes quite a while to implement. Without any defense, she is more or less guaranteed to cost a healthpack after each match.

She continues to be high up on my list of "well designed, but poorly implemented" characters, along with Star-Lord and Elektra. She really needs a couple of relatively minor tweaks to be perfectly usable. Too bad that will never happen with the current dev focus on 4* land.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    question: she has not gotten any iso out of me past 120 and eventually she will but she's way down my priority list. should I stay 5/5/3 until I get her to at least 140? I have a black that could put her to 4 black but not sure that makes sense with her at 120 for the foreseeable future. I like her green as mentioned above.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    question: she has not gotten any iso out of me past 120 and eventually she will but she's way down my priority list. should I stay 5/5/3 until I get her to at least 140? I have a black that could put her to 4 black but not sure that makes sense with her at 120 for the foreseeable future. I like her green as mentioned above.

Depends on how you use her. as others have said, if she doesn't tank colors, then 5/5/3 is the better build. But it's still not a great build. you can find better red and green users to sub in for her without much trouble at all.

Underleveled, she can't use her black effectively if you play her with your mainstays. But she can still be the heart of a b-team that you use for early climbs or PVE nodes.

One additional consideration is that 3* covers are still not exactly common. So if you know you eventually want her at 5/3/5, and don't use her much now (except when boosted), then what is the cost of going 5/4/4 in the short term? she will still sit on the best most of the time, and you will get to her ideal build all the sooner.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Gamora is 5/5/3. I tend to play her for her cheap red attack, often paired with a Blade or Daken or even R&G to generate some strikes to enhance it. Her 2x2 stun comes in handy when it goes off, to be sure. Her black I haven't used much, partly because it's a bit expensive, partly because it's tricky to construct the right team to allow Gamora to tank 3+ colors.

I just drew a black from a token. Is it worth dropping a green for that? Doesn't seem to be a clear consensus here.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like my 5/3/5 Gamora. I only bring her out when she tanks at least two colors.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    My Gamora is 5/5/3. I tend to play her for her cheap red attack, often paired with a Blade or Daken or even R&G to generate some strikes to enhance it. Her 2x2 stun comes in handy when it goes off, to be sure. Her black I haven't used much, partly because it's a bit expensive, partly because it's tricky to construct the right team to allow Gamora to tank 3+ colors.

I just drew a black from a token. Is it worth dropping a green for that? Doesn't seem to be a clear consensus here.
    I'd recommend dropping Red before Green. The damage you lose there can easily be made up with her Black.

Of course, there is lies the rub - you need her tanking to take full advantage. This is easier when she is featured or buffed, but you still need to keep team composition in mind. When she and Iron Fist were buffed recently, they worked very well together since he could feed her black and in turn eat through opponents with his attack tile.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Isay_Isay wrote:

I'd recommend dropping Red before Green. The damage you lose there can easily be made up with her Black.

Of course, there is lies the rub - you need her tanking to take full advantage. This is easier when she is featured or buffed, but you still need to keep team composition in mind. When she and Iron Fist were buffed recently, they worked very well together since he could feed her black and in turn eat through opponents with his attack tile.

This seems to be the problem with Gamora. Most characters have debatable builds because they are well designed and have multiple uses for each build but with Gamora its mainly just deciding which build is "less bad." I currently have mine at 5/5/3 but I'm switching to 3/5/5 just to try that out since green is very underwhelming and expensive. I'll always leave her at 5 red though because it is cheap and spamable.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    I used 355.
    I prefer 5 red because when u face Hood, Loki, such AP generator with low HP, 5 red would be very useful
    if u used red boost, u may knock out hood or loki in less than 5 turn.
    I use Gamora with Ironfist
    IF purple to accelerate Gamora black, than suddenly Gamora black will make IF attack tile very strong
    The third one I may choose Spiderman or KK
    KK would heal the team with very soon by IF purple and Gamoral red
    Spiderman self purple protection is created by IF purple
  • OJSP wrote:
    I have her at 5/5/3, simply because of who I usually team her with.

I've got her at 4-5-4 but in reality, she can be whatever-5-whatever for the same reason. Her biggest asset is the low AP required to uncork a red power. I have many players who have a strong green power ( hulk, WXF, Thor, IF, Torch ) which is cheaper or better, same with black ( blade, hood, WXF even, Cage probably, mohawk storm ).

She's a good third player but her green and black powers are pricey. Using her ever ready red power especially with strike tiles from blade or IF, IMO, is her best use.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm switching her to 5/5/3. I've had her 5/5/3, 5/3/5 and 3/5/5. I build for PvP. And since IMHB and JG or IM are the duos, there are times where her green is better than JG due to the stun. And boosted, IM's black plus strike tiles can essentially have her putting out similar dmg to IMHB red, it's less but you can split the dmg. Plus it's so hard to get her to tank 3 or more colors in PvP. This black is wasted. And if she is last girl standing 3 black is hopefully enough. But since IMHB black does everything her's does and cheaper, black makes no sense
  • Because I'm sick of trying to figure out how to get Gamora to tank her colors, for my own reference, here are the 2*/3* characters she can tank Green/Red/Black for at equal level. The colors each character tanks over Gamora are in parentheses with active abilities in ALL CAPS, so you can try to assemble a rainbow team or even give her a fourth color to tank. (Unfortunately, yellow is her weakest color, so the only 3* team where she tanks four including yellow is Gamora/GSBW/Daredevil. )

Beast (YELLOW/BLUE)
    Black Panther (YELLOW/BLUE)
    GSBW (PURPLE)
    Captain America (YELLOW/BLUE)
    Colossus (YELLOW)
    Daredevil (BLUE/PURPLE)
    Falcon (yellow/blue/PURPLE)
    Iron Fist (yellow/PURPLE)
    Kamala Khan (yellow/PURPLE)
    Luke Cage (YELLOW)
    Magneto (YELLOW/BLUE)
    Mystique (yellow/BLUE/PURPLE)
    Ragnarok (yellow/BLUE)
    Rocket & Groot (yellow/BLUE)
    Scarlet Witch (yellow/BLUE/PURPLE)
    She-Hulk (yellow/blue)
    Spider-Man (YELLOW/BLUE/purple)
    Squirrel Girl (YELLOW/PURPLE)
    Storm (YELLOW/purple)
    The Hood (YELLOW/blue)
    The Hulk (yellow)
    Vision (YELLOW/BLUE/purple)
    Patch (yellow)

Ares (YELLOW/purple)
    OBW (yellow/BLUE/PURPLE)
    Captain America (YELLOW/BLUE)
    Hawkeye (yellow/BLUE/purple)
    Magneto (yellow/BLUE/PURPLE)
    Moonstone (PURPLE)
    Bag-Man (YELLOW/BLUE/PURPLE)
    Storm (yellow/BLUE)
    Wolverine (yellow/purple)
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    since someone bumped the thread, i'll post my most recent favorite team. gamora/fist/hood. if gamora is even/above fist on match damage, her in front tanks all 3 of her colors. focus on purple/black/red (alt green) and when you get 12 black, manage how best to use remaining green/purple, fire black and whack away with red. all done in a few turns after that. she's by far my favorite character of the group that people don't seem to like much (bottom half). I've maxed and champed her and I have fun with her. and I can't bring myself to max many of the 'better' characters like blade, deadpool, grocket, patch, and doom. I'm moving on to my 4*s now.

edit: I've also run her with antman - with his yellow and some attack tiles, you can triple dip her strikes. doesn't work as well though because at the end of his cds, his strikes go on yellows too, so not quite as effective, but worked well enough in a heroic a while back.
  • Howdy there.

Gamora is my top character (Not counting Silver Surfer) so I've debated this many times. I love the Strike tiles so I go 5 Black. Right now I'm set up with 5 Red / 3 Green because I like the Cheap red devastation to K.O. the big threats, however with her as a champion you can switch her up now based on your situation icon_e_smile.gif

For 3* pairings, I love to pair her with Beast. He's a strong healer that pushes out defense tiles to keep her from dying while I hunt down black for her Bad Reputation and his own green ability is also an AoE.

I like to switch up the third party member between Falcon (Sam Wilson), Iron First & Kamala Khan. Characters with strong Pink powers and passive abilities so I can focus on using the green and red for Gamora.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Just champed Gamora recently and thought I should inform her fans of a particularly useful PvP situation.
    Use Gamora vs any team containing Peggy Carter. Ensure to have your black ready and get targeted when Peggy fires her blue power. With your other teammates stunned, all board colors become Gamora's. Place your strikes now and you will get EVERY yellow turned into a strike tile.
    Certainly this is situational, but if you also have your green ready to fire off it can be a killer.

(similar logic applies for Patch when using his red power vs Peggy's stun, and Vision, 4Pun etc).
  • Rick_OShay
    Does anyone know at what level Gamora's green power reaches 82?
    At lvl 182 her green and black are at 81 and 63 respectively. I would like to use her with Iron Fist once I can get her tied with him in color power at 82/xx/64.
    I have her held at lvl 182 with 3 covers in my que because I can't use the Star-Lord purple awarded for lvl 183 (he's 5/1/5, ugh.) But if adding these 3 covers brings her color power up to 82 and 64, it might be worth the loss of the SL cover. If she doesn't move up in power by lvl 185 then I will likely sell her covers until I get SL yellows sometime in the future.
    Thoughts?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rick OShay wrote:
    At lvl 182 her green and black are at 81 and 63 respectively. I would like to use her with Iron Fist once I can get her tied with him in color power at 82/xx/64.
    I have her held at lvl 182 with 3 covers in my que because I can't use the Star-Lord purple awarded for lvl 183 (he's 5/1/5, ugh.) But if adding these 3 covers brings her color power up to 82 and 64, it might be worth the loss of the SL cover. If she doesn't move up in power by lvl 185 then I will likely sell her covers until I get SL yellows sometime in the future.
    Thoughts?
    Gamora and Iron Fist both have green as their strongest color and black as their third strongest, so Gamora would tank both colors as long as she was at an equal or higher level than Iron Fist - if they are the same level she would need to be in front of him to tank though.
    I suggest not worrying to much about the 4* drops from 3* champion rewards by the way. No Point holding back a champion for an undeveloped character...
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Rick OShay wrote:
    Thoughts?
    At 185, max damage on her green will be still 81. By the way, all 3* have the same match damage curves - you can always check any other 3* at level you're interested in.
  • Rick_OShay
    Piro_plock wrote:
    At 185, max damage on her green will be still 81. By the way, all 3* have the same match damage curves - you can always check any other 3* at level you're interested in.
    I assumed they had individualized power curves. So it looks like strongest power reaches 82 at character level 190 or somewhere close to that. So, if I intend to be able to use her (un-boosted) with IF, I might as well start leveling her up now and not wait much longer.
    Thanks!
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    3* Gamora should give 4* Gamora as champ reward.