**** Sam Wilson (Captain America) ****

Comments

• Great post, sounds almost exactly how I thought...Doom issue with yellow instead of blue, and a super high cost red that is pretty much ToD to one character, but such a high cost makes everything take forever, like Cage's yellow...which would be fine if like Cage, he had a second dmg dealing power.

I won't stress about getting him...I'll stick with working on 4P...
    - Unreall
    i wouldn't sleep on him....he can reduce countdowns, and sure, we don't have access to goons, but at the rate they're producing characters...who knows when Countdown Queen will come out?
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    I can't be the only one irked by the stats of this guy tripling in power from level 70 to 270 as opposed to other 4* characters only doubling in power, right? I still wonder if it is somehow a typo or if it's just the way this character is designed. Don't think anyone already has him maxed out to check if the level 270 stats are indeed the same as stated in the first post here, and no real reason to assume they differ to be honost. Still, I can't help being slightly annoyed by this... must be some form of OCD on my part maybe... (sorry about that, posted about this earlier but couldn't help myself icon_redface.gif )
  • Haha, I'm also a bit irked by that.

I have an account I use cheats with to easily check stuff. The numbers are right, last I checked.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Great post, sounds almost exactly how I thought...Doom issue with yellow instead of blue, and a super high cost red that is pretty much ToD to one character, but such a high cost makes everything take forever, like Cage's yellow...which would be fine if like Cage, he had a second dmg dealing power.

I won't stress about getting him...I'll stick with working on 4P...
    - Unreall
    i wouldn't sleep on him....he can reduce countdowns, and sure, we don't have access to goons, but at the rate they're producing characters...who knows when Countdown Queen will come out?
    He can let Fisk get his Maggie Muscle tiles out with a couple of blue matches! Those CD are not just for finger pointing anymore!!
  • I don't discredit being able to knock down a CD..one turn. It's 'handy' when I do it with Hood, but that's the thing, its just 'handy'.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm NOT calling him trash or anything like that, but frankly 3* Cap might actually still be more playable.
    - Unreall
  • Playing around with him a little, not too sure what to make of him... His yellow and blue don't really seem like an upgrade over his 3 star counter parts (purple and blue). In fact regardless of the countdown timer in this new version the fact it buffs only two special tiles and due to the ease at which the AI matches away your special tiles, this is a HUGE downgrade compared to the 3 star version! The protect tiles in his 3 star purple were never limited to a single color, which is what made his three star an annoyance to fight. The 4 star yellow is too limiting but I suspect it was to keep the red ability balanced...

The only real advantage I can see with his red is in terms of efficiency he may be better than IMHB if you have other ways of generating additional protect tiles with colors other than yellow (so this rules out cmags and roger's capt)... The first guy to think of is 2 star bullseye, beast's blue and Jean's green are too unreliable a source of protect tiles. IMHB red will always drain your full allotment of red AP when used, but after a certain point of protect tiles, then falcon is going to be more efficient. It's getting to that point of efficiency is another matter.

If my maths is right, you need ten protect tiles before 4Capt's red is of the equivalent damage out put of hulkbusters red with 30 AP. The counter to the large number of protect tiles needed is the obvious suspects, Doc Oct, Carnage, Loki, Jean and even ant man if his blue stays up long enough.

Beyond this, I find his animations although cool to look at the first time! They're kinda long! I didn't time his divebomb animation but seemed to last several seconds!
  • Playing around with him a little, not too sure what to make of him... His yellow and blue don't really seem like an upgrade over his 3 star counter parts (purple and blue). In fact regardless of the countdown timer in this new version the fact it buffs only two special tiles and due to the ease at which the AI matches away your special tiles, this is a HUGE downgrade compared to the 3 star version! The protect tiles in his 3 star purple were never limited to a single color, which is what made his three star an annoyance to fight. The 4 star yellow is too limiting but I suspect it was to keep the red ability balanced...

The only real advantage I can see with his red is in terms of efficiency he may be better than IMHB if you have other ways of generating additional protect tiles with colors other than yellow (so this rules out cmags and roger's capt)... The first guy to think of is 2 star bullseye, beast's blue and Jean's green are too unreliable a source of protect tiles. IMHB red will always drain your full allotment of red AP when used, but after a certain point of protect tiles, then falcon is going to be more efficient. It's getting to that point of efficiency is another matter.

If my maths is right, you need ten protect tiles before 4Capt's red is of the equivalent damage out put of hulkbusters red with 30 AP. The counter to the large number of protect tiles needed is the obvious suspects, Doc Oct, Carnage, Loki, Jean and even ant man if his blue stays up long enough.

Beyond this, I find his animations although cool to look at the first time! They're kinda long! I didn't time his divebomb animation but seemed to last several seconds!
    other protect tile makers? This hypothetical team is gonna be kinda weird....Unless you can somehow force the Thing to yellow.

IMHB, Invisible Woman, Professor X, Loki....
  • So, this guys animations are really cool. Not sold on the character, but I dig the animations!
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    They really are. I love the way the sparks flying off his shield in Wings Of Liberty become protect tiles.
  • They really are. I love the way the sparks flying off his shield in Wings Of Liberty become protect tiles.

liked those. finally had a match last long enough to pull a red off (after charging some yellows). was expecting to see some tiles get busted when he pile drives into the board.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like one drawback from the release pace is that no one evalutes me wish characters after the I first week in the wild.

So what do people think about about 4* falcon now?

Here is a lukewin assessment that lromlted my post:
    I was looking forward to 4* Sam Cap's blue ability, since it is cover dependent, not level dependent. Got 3 covers, and it's not what I had hoped for. I think I was hoping it would be better than it actually was, so my expectations were higher than they should've been. His red is nice, but too expensive. Yellow is annoying, and would mitigate match damage. Blue isn't as nice as 3* Falcon's yellow, I think. If red was aoe, he'd be awesome, maybe overpowered. But for a 4*, his moves aren't that great, and because his red is expensive, you probably won't see him above 800 pts in PVP.

Blue is clearly less good at buffing specials because it also affects countdowns. But since 4* falcon doesn't make countdowns, how can this ability be leveraged?

3* cap would love this, but that's full color over lap. Maybe fury? Or r&g? Both have relatively powerful single countdown that would greatly benefit from acceleration. 2/3 color overlap though. Maybe switch, to really stimulate purple production? Kingpin!?

Also, he clearly can't be used with anyone who wants their countdown to stay on the board (fantastic, mystique, colossus etc), which seems like a fairly significant drawback.

As for the red, it's very powerful if used right after yellow, but that's 23 ap and hard to pull off. So he really needs a red accelerator.

He seems to be Elektra tier to me. Useful in a niche, but not go-to.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    R&G is probably one of his better pairings, because while it's a 2/3 color overlap you're not doubling any actives, and I often find myself making a blue match or two while the I Gotta Plan countdown is waiting, so there's no match-3 blue opportunities waiting to sabotage my strike tiles.

He can pair with LCap if you're willing to give up on his red, which may not be the worst thing in the world. Technically they have yellow overlap too but let's be honest, LCap is basically a two-power character who can level to 166.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    R&G is probably one of his better pairings, because while it's a 2/3 color overlap you're not doubling any actives, and I often find myself making a blue match or two while the I Gotta Plan countdown is waiting, so there's no match-3 blue opportunities waiting to sabotage my strike tiles.

He can pair with LCap if you're willing to give up on his red, which may not be the worst thing in the world. Technically they have yellow overlap too but let's be honest, LCap is basically a two-power character who can level to 166.

R&G would be a good pairing for your reasons. I'd say since he buffs tiles/reduces CDs using blue matches, you'd want pairs that use both blue and have CDs, like R&G, Nick Fury, Beast, LCap, DD, etc. His yellow competes with Nick Fury and Beast. I thought he would make a great 3rd to LCap/IM40 or Thor4/IM40 for PVE, but I've found it to be slow and his blue can throw off IM40's yellow CDs, if there are 3 on the board, since he'll stun himself after 1 yellow goes off. 3* Falcon is a better complement to LCap/IM40 because Redwing can steal CDs, and yellow buffs more.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Seriously falcrap, as some like to call him, is really better than advertised.. i enjoyed him big time in the last 2 pvps where he has shortened numerous fights, especially against Hulk. His best pairing is with HB.. no contest here.. they feed from each other.. red is key as exepcted.. righteous punch is awesome but it devoids your red bar.. in the meantime, a buffed falcap one-shot a 20 khp hulk for 14 reds and let you the possibility to use whats left in red with HB for additional damage.. thats 25 k for 23 reds!!! for the same amount of red (14), HB is making 8 820.. falcap with 3-4 protect tiles is making 11-12 k (non buffed).. sure he cant carry your team by his own but he is a perfect complement to one of the best char in the game.. if you add a KK into the mix, you definitely have one if not the best trio in the game so far..
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seriously falcrap, as some like to call him, is really better than advertised.. i enjoyed him big time in the last 2 pvps where he has shortened numerous fights, especially against Hulk. His best pairing is with HB.. no contest here.. they feed from each other.. red is key as exepcted.. righteous punch is awesome but it devoids your red bar.. in the meantime, a buffed falcap one-shot a 20 khp hulk for 14 reds and let you the possibility to use whats left in red with HB for additional damage.. thats 25 k for 23 reds!!! for the same amount of red (14), HB is making 8 820.. falcap with 3-4 protect tiles is making 11-12 k (non buffed).. sure he cant carry your team by his own but he is a perfect complement to one of the best char in the game.. if you add a KK into the mix, you definitely have one if not the best trio in the game so far..

I stand corrected. From someone who has a lvl 270 3/5/5 Sam Cap, and actual play experience, I'll take their word over my guesses based on a lvl 70 2/3/1 Sam Cap. Thanks for the insight frackynight. I'll say that players with play experience will always give a more accurate opinion, because things can look great on paper, but not be that great in practice, or vice versa. I've had to respec or plan to respec multiple characters after I played with them and realized my initial specs weren't as great as they were cracked up to be.
  • This based in a buffed falcap right? What about the opposite, 270 falcap and 350 HB?
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Man Iceman, Captain Falcon, and Scarlet Witch are going to be super nasty, stuns for days
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Man Iceman, Captain Falcon, and Scarlet Witch are going to be super nasty, stuns for days

conflict between iceman and CF since matching blues will lower the CD tile's duration on iceman's blue when trying to match blue for the damage effect which can end up being a pain to play around.

SW's blue always being out makes it 50/50 but why take the risk
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Given how this guy is kind of underwhelming, I can't help but feel he'd be better if his yellowflag.png created protect tiles that TOTALED a specific amount. So say, it blocks a total of 2000 damage, and if there are a lot of available yellowtile.png then it creates a lot of weak tiles, whereas if there's less then it creates fewer beefier ones.

Then maybe for his redflag.png, bonus damage could be calculated based on the total protect tile STRENGTH (rather than number) currently on the board. So base damage + 2000 if you fire it right after yellowflag.png.

This would make his blueflag.png way more interesting too, because then you play a risk vs reward game of buffing up your protect tile strength AND bonus damage at the risk of getting those protect tiles matched away the longer you hold out (similar to the type of risk/reward game 4Thor plays).
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Some good ideas -- yellow already applies to ALL yellow tiles, so it would be interesting to have a set total applied to the cast of it. That would solve the frequent problem (not unique to this move) of "hmm, I want to cast this, but there aren't enough [color] tiles on the board to make it worthwhile". I like the idea of winding up with, e.g., twenty 100-point protect tiles, or two 1000-point protect tiles, depending on how many yellows are on the board.