*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Comments

• Ok, so I need help making the best decision currently. I have 3995 in HP. I want to upgrade two abilities of my Patch, currently 2/1/3. Which to upgrades should I do? Should I do 2 yellow and be done with it as I plan to have 5 in it anyway. Or should I put 2 into red to boost it up. I am still not sold on what is the best build for this guy other than yellow being 5.

Any thoughts?

Also, I only plan to do two so that I have some HP left over for shields in PVP.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    How'd you get a 3rd yellow?
  • Spoit wrote:
    Spent HP on it. Then was given a late xmas present in the form of a gift card. So I added it to MPQ.
  • Spoit wrote:
    Spent HP on it. Then was given a late xmas present in the form of a gift card. So I added it to MPQ.

Wait for other events, it would be lots of covers in future. Why do you want buy covers for him? Do you have over 100k iso to level him up?
  • Polkio wrote:
    Wait for other events, it would be lots of covers in future. Why do you want buy covers for him? Do you have over 100k iso to level him up?

Maybe he wants to take advantage of the strike tile generation bug. I have him at 1/1/1 but I have no plans to use him until after he's fixed.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Sometimes it's worth taking a risk in the meta to gain an advantage earlier than everybody else. It could possibly set up a couple of big wins to propel you into the higher ranks. If Patch turns out to be OP, we'd all be chasing the people who jumped on him early with HP/ISO. I don't know if that's going to happen in this case, but it's certainly worth trying.

To answer the question, however, I really don't know. All of the abilities look kind of 'must-have' to me.
  • Kyosokun wrote:
    L45TN7 wrote:
    Just tried him out after the new update went live and the dmg from the strike tiles bug is insane. I feel sorry for everyone without one in upcoming events lol.

Or without a Loki to counter, I guess. easy way around worrying about him, turn all those strike tiles into protect tiles.

except you'd have to use loki... anyway I was mostly referring to attacking with patch
    Thanos wrote:
    L45TN7 wrote:
    Just tried him out after the new update went live and the dmg from the strike tiles bug is insane. I feel sorry for everyone without one in upcoming events lol.

What build and what level?

5/2/2 89
  • Nemek wrote:
    Sometimes it's worth taking a risk in the meta to gain an advantage earlier than everybody else. It could possibly set up a couple of big wins to propel you into the higher ranks. If Patch turns out to be OP, we'd all be chasing the people who jumped on him early with HP/ISO. I don't know if that's going to happen in this case, but it's certainly worth trying.

To answer the question, however, I really don't know. All of the abilities look kind of 'must-have' to me.

This. It's a gamble sometimes, but it really paid off for me with Hulk. I took first place + all progression rewards in both the Smash Hit tourneys and had a much easier time with the recent Hunt PvE because I dropped 2500 HP I had earned into getting him the last 2 covers I needed. With a 141 Hulk boosted I saw a marked reduction in retaliations/attacks. Dunno if that will happen with Patch, but the pattern to date does seem to reward early adopters. You still need a sizable bank of ISO for levelling up enough to take advantage, however.
  • Just wonder: for example c magneto has got at max level 52 damage at yellow match and 60 damage at red. Wolvie the same. Who will take damage matching red and yellow if they both are at the same max level?
    Want to find best team for him. Punisher is nice since at max level he will only get bigger numbers at purple and black so wolvie will take damage after matching 4 colors so this is nice.
    I want do 3/5/5 of wolvie bcos I think that there will be some trouble finding 6 open green on board after matching 9 green first and in defence super smart AI will fire green no matter how many greens will be on board so I belive that in defence green will be super but only for enemy.
  • Polkio wrote:
    Just wonder: for example c magneto has got at max level 52 damage at yellow match and 60 damage at red. Wolvie the same. Who will take damage matching red and yellow if they both are at the same max level?

I think we're pretty sure that the damage numbers you see in-game are rounded, and the actual hidden number has decimal places. Who takes the match depends on whose actual number is higher. That being said, it looks like all 3*s have the same scaling on tile damage, so at equal level, Magneto and Patch will be exactly tied. No idea who wins there. One theory is that critical multiplier is the tiebreak, in which case it'd be Patch. If you're not already maxed, you could always have Magneto at lvl 140 and be sure.
  • I think 5/3/5 is the way to go, as his red takes a lot of buildup time, and I feel there are much better reds out there (thors or mag, to name a few) and from what I've noticed, since patch will beat basically nobody in purple/black/blue, unless you plan on only making a team of only 3 colors (red/green/yellow), patch's red isn't all that strong. Not to mention you would be doing a lot of matches with patch tiles anyways, and leaving behind the black/blue/purple which in turn weakens his red output.
  • I have to disagree with your reasoning. With boosts it's possible to virtually guarantee casting red on turn 3, so it doesn't necessarily take very much buildup time, and it's not hard to build a strong team where Patch is tanking 3 colors, which means somewhere in the neighborhood of 6k damage, or even 4 colors, which is around 7.5k damage. That's very, very strong.

Also, I think the "there are better reds" argument is significantly less valid since the Ragnarok change, especially with Thor next on the chopping block. I definitely do not see Magneto's red (either Magneto) as competition.
  • I have to disagree with your reasoning. With boosts it's possible to virtually guarantee casting red on turn 3, so it doesn't necessarily take very much buildup time, and it's not hard to build a strong team where Patch is tanking 3 colors, which means somewhere in the neighborhood of 6k damage, or even 4 colors, which is around 7.5k damage. That's very, very strong.

Also, I think the "there are better reds" argument is significantly less valid since the Ragnarok change, especially with Thor next on the chopping block. I definitely do not see Magneto's red (either Magneto) as competition.

I am basing my decision based on actual usage. I assume that you would usually only boost during tournaments where you are usually using a buffed character, so even having 3 dominant patch colors is tough (for the current tournaments, patch has 0 dominant colours when matched with thor or ares to name a few), not to mention like i said earlier, i noticed that whenever I have enough reds for patch's red, my board is littered with purple/blacks/blues which i didn't match because I was focused on his colors, which actually makes the scenario of hitting 6k a lot less likely than you would expect.

Also if you decide to try to run a 4 patch dominant color team comp, be aware that patch's blue/black/purple are 10-11 range so you would be crippled for 1/6 of the colors.

On the other hand, I feel his green has a lot more options on how it can be useful, for example setting up with loki's black or OBW's espionage, or using skills that are meant to form cascades.

But again, this is my personal opinion, and that is yours. Both have their merits. Just giving your more things that maybe you haven't considered.
  • That's fair. I do appreciate the reports from real-world usage, especially since you have such a high level Patch already, so thanks for that.

I did consider that buffed tile damage throws a big wrench into planning teams for Patch, and you're likely to end up with Patch tanking only 1-2 colors in a lot of tournaments. That's pretty bad. Also, having to count tiles to know whether you will down a character (or whether you should spend the red elsewhere) is pretty annoying. I didn't consider that you will usually prefer to take his matches because of his healing, so average-case scenarios for his red are actually overrating the ability; that's significant too.

I'm still pretty scared off by creating 6 148 strike tiles for your opponent, though. +888 damage per match is pretty nasty. So I'd be curious to hear how he plays for you once the bug is fixed -- how hard is it to deal with all the strike tiles you're creating for your opponent?
  • Polkio wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

My main thinking behind it, is my hulk has 5 black and with patch giving enemy strike tiles it increases the chance hulks black will go off more frequently. This paired with spidey or obw seems like it will work really well.

Secondary thinking is that any new character always is boosted in upcoming pve or pvp. Being ahead of that curve usually nets more good covers.

I may not have the 100k iso right now but that can always be gotten in time. My patch is already at lvl 53.

Im thinking now 5/3/5 might be good way to go. But since im only planning to do two upgades i might go one green and one yellow.
  • im also of the opinion that 5/3/5 is the way to go.

at the moment i have him paired with thor and his red and yellow go pretty well witth all the strike tiles.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm greatly enjoying his temporary boosted power. I've been using him in Lightning Rounds. But I've only got him at 3/3/0.

Might be interesting to add temporary changes to some characters.
  • Might be interesting to add temporary changes to some characters.

That would keep the game fresh and more strategy would be involved in using characters. Checking now to see if this is in the feedback/suggestion subforum. If not I would recommend putting this out there.
  • I'm thinking of using loki/obw/patch. Her espionage will be off the charts. My loki isn't maxed, or even has a black cover for that matter, but I figure that will be a pretty slammin offense.
  • I'm thinking of using loki/obw/patch. Her espionage will be off the charts. My loki isn't maxed, or even has a black cover for that matter, but I figure that will be a pretty slammin offense.

I might try Loki out as well. Just need more covers of him, currently 1/2. But the team I am currently aiming for is Hulk/(OBW/Spidey)/Patch.