Attacked by someone with 2000 fewer points

Options
124»

Comments

• Yeah I am off today so had some t I me to play..at the 800 or 900 mark I started seeing huge 45 to 50 pt options and most were 1400 to 2000 range. Thats a new one but I figured most were shielded. Wish you could tell who is shielded. As for attacks...I recall that being the common theme for me that I could go 1 hr or more without being hit until I closed in on a high progression reward.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    I currently have three people cued up for +50 points each. The teams are extremely squishy so I hope to stay in the top 15 by the end of the tourny.
    If they're not retaliations, you should use them, because I had a bunch of good fights queued, then I got hit, and the silly 0 point battles overwrote them

Good Idea. Just did. Currently in 9th. Shields up.
    Question though. Since this is my first time using shields since they came out with them if you are attacked while shielded, does a retaliation spot come up if your attacked?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    I currently have three people cued up for +50 points each. The teams are extremely squishy so I hope to stay in the top 15 by the end of the tourny.
    If they're not retaliations, you should use them, because I had a bunch of good fights queued, then I got hit, and the silly 0 point battles overwrote them

Good Idea. Just did. Currently in 9th. Shields up.
    Question though. Since this is my first time using shields since they came out with them if you are attacked while shielded, does a retaliation spot come up if your attacked?
    Nope
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Nope
    Sweet. Then I can queue up 50 pointers while shields are up.
  • Nemek wrote:
    I was once attacked by somebody with 0 when I was at 1300. I was shielded, so I didn't really care, but thought it a tad odd.

I just logged in to check my ranking and saw that someone with 0 points attacked me (I'm ranked #1 with around 2580 points, still glad I'm shielded).
    Strange that I'm the first target of someone who just entered the tournament...
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    I've been only hitting people for 40-50 points since I had about 1000. I'm at 1790 now.

Either me tanking 70% of the lightning rounds gave me the best MMR ever, or something's broken.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Potentially relevant?
    We're making and have recently made changes to matchmaking & the rating system, a couple of which are aimed at making tanking less important, less appealing, or less effective. (One thing we did recently is shift the matchmaking search window to give more weight to your event rating relative to your hidden persistent rating.) I'm not sure that we can ever totally eliminate manipulating your rating to gain an advantage - it's an issue in every sport with a rating system, even ones without asynchronous play and shields and all the other things that make rating in our game weirder than it is in, say, chess. But yeah, we hear you, it's a quirky way to get ahead and it can be less effective than it is now.

We move slowly with this stuff because it's often very hard to predict what will happen with a rating/matchmaking system before you see it in action with a real player population, so we make small changes and watch for a bit before making another change, but you can expect more changes designed to make this better in the future.
  • Thanks Spoit managed to get about 150 quick points off of you. Try not to pelt the guys in the 2200-2350 zone in case they haven't made it to the 2400 reward yet. It is quite frustrating ...
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Thanks Spoit managed to get about 150 quick points off of you. Try not to pelt the guys in the 2200-2350 zone in case they haven't made it to the 2400 reward yet. It is quite frustrating ...

I tried.. saw jozier a dozen times for 46 to 50 pts but skipped him each time as it appeared he was making a charge. If I see someone has not changed pts after a few cycles, I assume they shielded or stopped but its not an exact science since matches take longer
  • You seem to get nailed by a -50 from guys with more than 500 less points than you all the time now. I don't particularly mind that, but they really got to scale back the progression rewards if this is kept up.
  • Misguided wrote:

Yep, and soon you will get to pay Iso for the privilege of skipping those worthless retributions.