Attacked by someone with 2000 fewer points

Options

Comments

• MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    On my way up when I was around 1400 i had to cycle through 20 people who were either single digit or low doubles looking for someone worth hitting (thanks Spoit!). The only high point people i found were 50 pointers. I think part of it is due to people making hard pushes for 2400 since getting past the 600-800 range is a chore creating a vacuum in the middle.
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Well if it makes you feel any better, first time for me. I usually try to find 30+ fights to limit the total number of fights I win to increase my ranking.

I do think it's pretty messed up how until around the 1000 range it's virtually impossible to find someone worth 30 points, but once you go up there it's usually very easy. I understand they only got so many people above 1000 so they can't be as choosy, but that logic is backwards. People with lower rating should've an easier time climbing (by seeing opponents that are worth a lot), not the other way around.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    At 2400 I still see 600-800 point players on my list. Not sure why...but I'd i can see them.they prob can see me. Pretty irritating honestly lol.

I have had this happen to me too. Not quite 600-800, but I have seen people 800-1000 points below me.

EDIT: Yeah, I am at 2650 right now and it is pairing me up with people that are sub-100.
  • Yeah i had about 350 points and hit a 2300 for 50 points. No retaliation. Just found em in my mmr.
  • Hmm i'm thinking something must have changed with match making? I have gotten two +50 point matches and one +48 so far....in the time its taken me to go from 30 points to 514.
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Hmm i'm thinking something must have changed with match making? I have gotten two +50 point matches and one +48 so far....in the time its taken me to go from 30 points to 514.

Sure sounds like it, though I'd say this is a good thing. It's really frustrating when you're in the sub 1000 range how you have to cycle through 20 guys just to find someone worth 20 points.
  • Yep, it's probably intended to rise faster... but there's a diminishing return of sorts. For example a +49 target who is at 1300 vs a +50 target who is at 1900.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Roya PQ wrote:
    Hmm i'm thinking something must have changed with match making? I have gotten two +50 point matches and one +48 so far....in the time its taken me to go from 30 points to 514.

Sure sounds like it, though I'd say this is a good thing. It's really frustrating when you're in the sub 1000 range how you have to cycle through 20 guys just to find someone worth 20 points.

Road from 1800 to 2400 looks like this
    0 points - skip
    0 points - skip
    0 points - skip
    0 points - skip
    ..... - after a minute
    0 points - skip
    45 points (guy shielded at 2400+) - play - about 2 minutes
    0 points - skip
    0 points - skip
  • Yea, it's like there is a combo breaker in there where the computer will throw you a bone with someone way out of your point range. You'll be stuck at 1000-1100 points ... be forced to scroll through 20-30 people that have 800-900 points and then randomly someone with 1300 points will appear.

The wierd thing is that once you abuse that person to get up to 1300 points, you STILL have those 800-900 point people appearing in your queue as you keep skipping. The same users.
  • A few days ago devs said they are making some changes to pairing system especially to avoid islands and mmr hell situations.

What described here may be consequence of that -- either intended or overlooked.
  • Just asking here since it's a high volume thread, anyone know what the update we downloaded earlier was?
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Yep, it's probably intended to rise faster... but there's a diminishing return of sorts. For example a +49 target who is at 1300 vs a +50 target who is at 1900.
    Consequently it also means you will spike down harder if you get beat by a much lower ranked opponent. Ouch.
  • jozier wrote:
    Just asking here since it's a high volume thread, anyone know what the update we downloaded earlier was?

No idea, I wish they would put out patch notes along with the update.
  • Misguided wrote:
    I'm shielded too. I had heard points per match could go as high as 50, but never actually seen it happen before.

I've never seen a +50 (highest I ever got was one single +43 and that was today) but I've seen a lot -50.
    I'm so glad I'm shielded. Screenshot after my 2 hour dinner break:

screenshot_2014-01-17xcj84.png
  • Thanks for the screenshot, Jamil. 1400 point spread, wow.
  • Is anyone up 2400 range who is NOT shielded being hit like this?
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was unshielded when hit by someone at ~350 points when I had >2000. He yielded to me.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am just starting now and I am seeing tons of 50, 45 pointers available and not due to retaliation so watch out and shield.
  • eidehua wrote:
    I was unshielded when hit by someone at ~350 points when I had >2000. He yielded to me.

Lucky you. I'm getting hit all the time for -40 to -50 since I got to 2000+ points.

Worst I've got was a -4x hit and retaliation would've given me 0 points icon_evil.gif

Only way for progressing was to boost myself through 3 to 5 matches as fast as possible while being hit with one or two -40 to -50, resulting usually in something between +15 to +50 and then throw up a shield and wait for the big attack waves to hit me.

After a few minutes I'd drop the shield after the attack message plopped up and do the same again.

Usually it would be to annoying and HP-consuming for my taste but I want the blue IW cover, it's her only colour I don't have, so I'm willing to spend more effort and time than usual...

EDIT: None of the attacks in my screenshot were retaliations. The only guy I attacked before was RhinoD and I'm pretty sure he was shielded because he showed up many times as target and stayed in the same point range.
  • Another mystery update. Maybe they saw there was a problem and are trying to fix?