Attacked by someone with 2000 fewer points

Options
Huh, never seen that before. Rage and Ruin tournament. How does that even happen? I suppose it could be a retaliation. Still, pretty funny.

Comments

• Was it a retaliation from someone you whacked when you first entered the tourney?
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I was once attacked by somebody with 0 when I was at 1300. I was shielded, so I didn't really care, but thought it a tad odd.

I suspect, however, that it's just somebody who had a really high MMR from the last tourney or lightning tourneys that just hadn't joined the tournament until now. So, they'd be up in your MMR without all of the points. (Though...whenever I do something like that, it never turns out quite as good...)

Ghast also brings up a pretty good possibility...
  • Ghast wrote:
    Was it a retaliation from someone you whacked when you first entered the tourney?

Yeah, I just thought of that (updated original post). Probably. Pretty funny, though, you gotta admit.
  • I had that happen in the Smash tourney a few days ago/

I assume someone had me queued up when I was still in the 300-400 range. They quit playing and logged back on the next day and attacked me. By then I was at 1800 points, so I lost 50 points.
  • I was whacked yesterday by someone way below me too. They were at 0 before attacking, IIRC, and I lost the max of 50 points. Sucked.

Actually, makes me think of a possible retaliation fix. Have points lost on a retaliation be based on your score when you attacked them. Probably too complex to put into production, but an interesting idea, I think.
  • Nemek wrote:
    I was once attacked by somebody with 0 when I was at 1300. I was shielded, so I didn't really care, but thought it a tad odd.

I'm shielded too. I had heard points per match could go as high as 50, but never actually seen it happen before.
  • Just had 2 guys 1500 points over me pop up in my normal targets. Doesn't have to be retaliations, quick 100 points.
  • It's pretty much always a guy you attacked wayyyyyyyyy back.

I've seen 50 point losses now that it's quite possible to get score in the 2K+ range. Sucks but nothign much you can do about it.
  • finwe wrote:
    Just had 2 guys 1500 points over me pop up in my normal targets. Doesn't have to be retaliations, quick 100 points.

Thanks for the info. I was hit by some more folks, at least one of which I'm pretty sure I never attacked (HulksGreenPoo) that was more than 1000 below. Given the nasty mmr bubbles I've been hitting in this tournament, it probably shouldn't surprise me. Interesting.
  • That's why I suggested elsewhere that retailiations should either expire due to time or point difference change, or lock in the points from original. The way they are now is only a frustration generator. We'd be probably better off without them completely.
  • Retaliation should expire some time (say 3 hours) after your opponent has a chance to see them.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Misguided wrote:
    finwe wrote:
    Just had 2 guys 1500 points over me pop up in my normal targets. Doesn't have to be retaliations, quick 100 points.

Thanks for the info. I was hit by some more folks, at least one of which I'm pretty sure I never attacked (HulksGreenPoo) that was more than 1000 below. Given the nasty mmr bubbles I've been hitting in this tournament, it probably shouldn't surprise me. Interesting.

He could have queued you up at some point earlier on and just hadn't attacked.
  • Nemek wrote:
    He could have queued you up at some point earlier on and just hadn't attacked.

Good point.
    pasa_ wrote:
    That's why I suggested elsewhere that retailiations should either expire due to time or point difference change, or lock in the points from original. The way they are now is only a frustration generator. We'd be probably better off without them completely.

I don't think having them expire is a good idea, unless, as Phantron suggests, your opponent at least has a chance to see them. Otherwise, you could get hit and have them expire while busy/sleeping/etc. locking in the score would be a fine solution, and on the surface shouldn't be that hard to implement (simply don't query current score at the end of the match prior to assigning points).
  • At 2400 I still see 600-800 point players on my list. Not sure why...but I'd i can see them.they prob can see me. Pretty irritating honestly lol.
  • At 2400 I still see 600-800 point players on my list. Not sure why...but I'd i can see them.they prob can see me. Pretty irritating honestly lol.

Weird. And I know we have to be in different mmr ranges since you never saw Nemek or the others with tank teams out. So this doesn't appear to be some issue artificially created by people tanking. Something is definitely amiss.
  • I was randomly skipping ...and ended up getting someone at 1803 worth 50 points for me i'm at 308 just starting my run up the ladder. I mean, he's got a few characters over 100 in his roster or i'd totally go for it icon_e_wink.gif Meanwhile the other 20-30 point fights for me are all <level 50 toons in their roster.

Very weird.
  • How come I never see those guys worth 50 points? icon_e_sad.gif
  • Well if it makes you feel any better, first time for me. I usually try to find 30+ fights to limit the total number of fights I win to increase my ranking.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Got this too...
    Do retaliations last that long?
    I'm not sure on this, but it seems like retaliations don't increase in points even if the attacker has been gaining points.
    Like for instance I had someone in a circle that I skipped, and when I got to him again he was worth more points even though I was just skipping people (aka the stored points stays constant).
  • Misguided wrote:
    At 2400 I still see 600-800 point players on my list. Not sure why...but I'd i can see them.they prob can see me. Pretty irritating honestly lol.

Weird. And I know we have to be in different mmr ranges since you never saw Nemek or the others with tank teams out. So this doesn't appear to be some issue artificially created by people tanking. Something is definitely amiss.

Took my shield off to attack and re equip a 8 hr since the 3 hr I threw on in order to get the 500 hp from the pve was about to expire. Triple attacked just at that moment? 1 was blocked by shield the other 2 came through. -100 because everyone attacking me is fricken lvl 800 or so. Nooo way I am pushing more right now.

Side note...you cannot equip a shield via updating the shield or anything right? U actually have to take it off?

Ohh..and I saw a 300 pt attacked me..cool -.-