*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Comments

• The big "problem" I see with IM40 is that while each skill is somewhat powerful, they all come with a negative

I say it like that because the thing that makes me question the way the devs built him seems to be either A, an experiment in balancing a 3 star character, or B, he is meant to be an entry 3 star character.

If it's A, then I'd say it was a rather successful experiment, and would be a good move towards balancing out other 3 stars, I.e. Spidey can only use his Web once a turn.

If the path taken was B, then that became a failure. He may have a high level, and do some decent damage, and is tanky.... HOWEVER! You get someone like Rags who has only a relatively smidgen less Health, and can utilize Red MUCH better that makes him the better 3 star choice. Also as an entry 3 star character, if this is the reason for being, IM40 also does not accurately portray the rarity he is supposed to represent. Not a single 3 star has a con to using each ability.

If his only useful skill happens to be an ability that gives AP, but stuns, there is an inherent problem to the character ability build from the dev side, and really should be looked at. I would like to see him be an actual viable pick, instead of using him as a battery.
  • Skyedyne wrote:
    The big "problem" I see with IM40 is that while each skill is somewhat powerful, they all come with a negative

I say it like that because the thing that makes me question the way the devs built him seems to be either A, an experiment in balancing a 3 star character, or B, he is meant to be an entry 3 star character.

If it's A, then I'd say it was a rather successful experiment, and would be a good move towards balancing out other 3 stars, I.e. Spidey can only use his Web once a turn.

If the path taken was B, then that became a failure. He may have a high level, and do some decent damage, and is tanky.... HOWEVER! You get someone like Rags who has only a relatively smidgen less Health, and can utilize Red MUCH better that makes him the better 3 star choice. Also as an entry 3 star character, if this is the reason for being, IM40 also does not accurately portray the rarity he is supposed to represent. Not a single 3 star has a con to using each ability.

If his only useful skill happens to be an ability that gives AP, but stuns, there is an inherent problem to the character ability build from the dev side, and really should be looked at. I would like to see him be an actual viable pick, instead of using him as a battery.

Rag is like sentinel from MVC2. high health, high damage, fast moves (good frames)....if only ragnarok had invincibility frames they would be twins lol. Basically somewhat overpowered "noobcandy.". Oddly enough, mag is also top tier in that as he is here. Backtracking from that tangent, my point is its not very fair to compare 3*** to ragnarok as he is probably deserving of some balancing (or almost every other character but spidey/magneto need to be buffed..either way).

Other 3 stars with "con" abilities: black widow grey (ap on green), Loki purple (it changes more tiles..which isn't always a good thing)...there really are not that many 3*** out yet are there.

I think you are somewhat right in that I think I'M 40 is suppose to be an entry level 3***. He is the only one at all easily given out so far as far as be seen (guaranteed pack @ 500 point progression reward/last progress reward for hunt/tons from events). He isn't bad, but he isn't as good as most of the others. Whether this is coincidental or on purpose ...who knows. He has nice health, decent damage, and a fairly useful yellow if its your only yellow (far less useful teamed with thor). The blue is rather ho hum and the red is really only good when I'M is left as the last man standing (which will almost always happen as he is usually the least scary member of a team). His yellow HAS go work as it does. If there was no ap increase it would be so fricken strong. Only balancing option other than ap cost on this situation would either be an extra tile dropped for the new colors (probably worse than ap increase) or increasing the countdown (probably worse ye
    ). I just don't see how his yellow could possibly function better without a complete overhaul...and its not broken so why bother doing that.

Spidey web once a turn would break him. Machine basically plays him like that anyway, so its no big deal.

IM is a low tier 3*** ..simple...I don't really see a problem with that. He isn't BROKEN bad, so I don't think anything needs go be fixed (unless the devs decide to buff others instead of weaken rag). I think IM hp advantage would be more noticeable if we didn't A. Have lightning rounds of villains every week making rag mag doom seem godlike compared to the lesser 3*** and if rag's hp were to fall on line with doom's hp lvl (or even just 6k even).

At this point his main use is as a boosted character in PVE events as he seems to get a rather high boost every time.
  • i only use recharge if it looks like there aren't a lot of reds or yellow on the board. so not very often.

im40 is mostly there just to absorb hits. which isn't even that great until he's level 110+ because before that point he has about the same HP as thor anyway.

i really want to get rid of thor because he's the last 2* i even use, but most people are still using at least 1 or 2 softies so he just does too much damage too quickly to get rid of right now. if it got to the point where most people were rocking 5k hp + heros, thor's quick burst effectiveness would go away but we're not at that point yet. once we get to that point I'd probably do some sort of im40 blue / black widow green / spiderman stun combo. just get 17 green / 20 blue and nuke their entire team for 5k. but right now this is slower than just having thor nuke everything down 1 by 1
  • Though it's rather cookie-cutter, C.Storm is probably one of your best offensive choices, unless you have a well-built Spidey on your team. Though even then, you'd be burning yellows which is unfortunate if you need to drop a heal.
  • I made a mistake and upped my IM40 recharge to 4...now I really don't know what to do with him. Considering Rags/IM40/GreyWidow, someday, when I actually get a Thunderclap cover, but I suspect he'll only come into play if the starting board is heavily yellow already, otherwise the Rags/GW combo alone will take care of business long before IM40 ever pops off a Recharge.

Can't imagine a scenario with Thor/IM40 where you'd want to blow yellow on Recharge when Thunder Strike is just one yellow match away. I tend to attack Thor/IM40/xxx teams when I see them in PvP because I know the AI can't help itself, and handles Recharge just as horribly as it handles all other friendly countdown tiles. Defensively you're tying one hand behind Thor's back...
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well now that I've gotten two sets of covers from the widowmaker tournaments, my IM40 is now 4/2/2. If my current roster is O. Widow, Thor, and Wolvie, do you guys think that it would be worth leveling him? My alternatives are Hulk (3/1/2), Punisher (1/3/5), or to wait until I can level a top-tier 3*, which is what I'm currently doing.
  • I'd level Hulk over IM40, but depends on:
    1) How high you can get Hulk
    2) Who gets buffed in upcoming tourneys

My IM40 is L123, and I rather wish I hadn't put quite so much ISO into him. But when they do buff him for a tourney he's an absolute beast.

Without a buff? Not so great.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Zathrus wrote:
    I'd level Hulk over IM40, but depends on:

My IM40 is L123, and I rather wish I hadn't put quite so much ISO into him. But when they do buff him for a tourney he's an absolute beast.

Well, the moment has come. With back-to-back double shot tourneys with spidey as the prize, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pumping my 80k iso reserve all into IM40 to have a good shot at getting those covers. I might have made a mistake in making him 5/3/3 instead of 5/3/2, but I can't bring myself to **** my Iron Man by denying him of a cover.
  • Is this normal? I've been noticing in the double shot tourney that when my IM40 is stunned I've been unable on occasion to trigger my environmental tile which I have saved up. Is that a glitch or is that what is supposed to happen?
  • Yep happened to me, too D:
  • Yeah, this has been a problem for quite some time now.
  • his yellow is just so damn slow. what i don't like about his yellow is that i had it at 3 because i had BWG in my team. now i hate BWG. I no longer wish to generate green and for all intents and purposes 2 yellow is now better for than 3 yellow, so my im40 is nerfed.

it would be great if increasing the yellow skill gave you the OPTION of using it at increased costs for the additional colors, but you could still use it at 6, 8, etc to get only those colors.
  • Zathrus wrote:

Well, the moment has come. With back-to-back double shot tourneys with spidey as the prize, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pumping my 80k iso reserve all into IM40 to have a good shot at getting those covers. I might have made a mistake in making him 5/3/3 instead of 5/3/2, but I can't bring myself to **** my Iron Man by denying him of a cover.

7k+ unibeams were also pretty nice during the Double Shot Tourneys. Mine is currently 5/4/3 and I don't mind the 3 in yellow so much. I normally have him teamed with Wolverine so it results in some epic strike tiles.
  • NorthernPolarity
    StoneWolf wrote:
    Zathrus wrote:

7k+ unibeams were also pretty nice during the Double Shot Tourneys. Mine is currently 5/4/3 and I don't mind the 3 in yellow so much. I normally have him teamed with Wolverine so it results in some epic strike tiles.

Ditto. Mine was 80 and doing 4k unibeams, which were perfectly serviceable. I didn't really play with the 8 ap yellow so i'm not too sure about that: I just don't like intentionally gimping my characters. Ended up 1st / 5th place in the tourney so I'd say it was a worthwhile investment.
    his yellow is just so damn slow. what i don't like about his yellow is that i had it at 3 because i had BWG in my team. now i hate BWG. I no longer wish to generate green and for all intents and purposes 2 yellow is now better for than 3 yellow, so my im40 is nerfed.

it would be great if increasing the yellow skill gave you the OPTION of using it at increased costs for the additional colors, but you could still use it at 6, 8, etc to get only those colors.

Seems like too much development work for too little benefit, since you would have to add new UI elements that allowed you to toggle which level to use, and only have this feature be useful for a small portion of characters where people actually want to reduce the level of the ability. They would probably first look at rebalencing the ability such that the increased AP wasn't a thing.
  • His yellow power is GREAT. Mine is currently at 3, and I'd have to say it is one of the skills that helped me land 1st and 2nd in the recent IM40 tourneys. If you build your team around the needed colors, he can turbo you to victory, especially if you are boosting for speed matches. My main debate is whether to increase it to level 4 as the change would go from 10-12 AP, still 4 matches either way.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Post Wolv and Thor changes, is it just me or does IM40 look painfully underpowered? just getting him to 141 is a massive investment of ISO, and aside from his incredibly useful yellow power, his attacks fall well behind even 2* red and blues, and that's without factoring the whole AP drain issue. Sure, in buffed events he's going to one shot people, but I honestly can't recall the last time I used him when he wasn't buffed, and that's not a good sign at all.
  • Post Wolv and Thor changes, is it just me or does IM40 look painfully underpowered? just getting him to 141 is a massive investment of ISO, and aside from his incredibly useful yellow power, his attacks fall well behind even 2* red and blues, and that's without factoring the whole AP drain issue. Sure, in buffed events he's going to one shot people, but I honestly can't recall the last time I used him when he wasn't buffed, and that's not a good sign at all.

I think Dev's need to start thinking in terms not of character changes that increase revenue through quirky gameplay mechanics, but respect the licensed property and put fun gameplay first.
    Iron man 40 should be a beast, plain and simple. The three strongest characters in this game should be Hulk, Thor and Ironman 40. Hopefully we will get a 4* version of Thor that is appropriate. But regardless, Ironman should be very strong, and this dude isn't. At lvl 87 he is weaker and more useless than most highend 2*. I think he needs a positive Funbalance. His blue should either cost less, stun, or do more damage. Definitely shouldn't have an AP penalty. If you can spam blue it would be fun even if it was weak. But if its going to drain, it has to be a match ender, and so probably a 50% boost is needed. If not for blue then for red. I don't like the AP drain combined with high cost. It makes him a poor alternative.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree. The AP loss is what keeps me from using his red or blue; combine that with not huge amounts of damage and it's just not worth it. I have been using him a little more lately but only to generate AP and absorb damage.
  • Post Wolv and Thor changes, is it just me or does IM40 look painfully underpowered? just getting him to 141 is a massive investment of ISO, and aside from his incredibly useful yellow power, his attacks fall well behind even 2* red and blues, and that's without factoring the whole AP drain issue. Sure, in buffed events he's going to one shot people, but I honestly can't recall the last time I used him when he wasn't buffed, and that's not a good sign at all.

Thor and mrk40 was a great team, but nerfing thors red destroyed the synergy with mrk40, right now i don't see a good team build with this guy. Maybe a patch spidey and im40 do the trick.
  • Unibeam seems really weak compared to ** Wolverine's new red. It's ironic that IM40's best move is the one you want to put the least amount of covers in. Still, if you pair him with OBW he's a great tank that will get a lot of healing.