*** Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) ***

Comments

• Squirrelgirl and Devil Dinosaur are probably the most obscure characters in the game (barring maybe Bagman, I had to look up what set of comics that specific cover was from, but who doesn't know Spider-Man?). The Hood is probably a close third.

I think no one is going to know who Ragnarok is unless they read his specific storyline. Daken seems reasonably well-known among newer comics readers, but totally unknown to everyone else. Same for the Hood. I hadn't heard of any of them outside the game, and still wouldn't know about them if it weren't for the game. I think Ragnarok is the most obscure, probably followed by Hood then Daken, then Yelena, probably.

Squirrel Girl is a joke character, but she's a 20+ year old joke character co-created by Steve Ditko, and she has a monthly now, besides numerous appearances over the last five years or so. Bag-Man is fairly obscure, but it's from a very prominent storyline (the Alien Costume saga), and it's been reprinted a lot.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Dayraven wrote:
    In all honesty and griping about d3 and mpq aside which is popular especially right now some of the cover choices they have is a disgrace considering all the amazing cover art and monumental artists that marvel has in its history.
    I think part of the problem is that they're picking covers which work as standalone pinups which really showcase the character in question. That's much more common in modern comics, while older comics lean much more towards story-based covers.

that's not true, a lot of silver age have some of the best covers you will see in comics, although some of the art may be a touch dated. take romata and his spiderman covers as an easy example.....gold. or sterenko and his fury covers, miller's DD covers (bronze or is it copper? age but still old comics with great covers) ect, ect.
  • I was first introduced to Luke Cage while reading these:
    http://www.seanbaby.com/hostess.htm

If you hadn't read them before now, you're welcome.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    One thing, when I started playing this game, I had actually heard of Squirrel Girl. I can't say the same for The Hood, Ragnarok, or Daken.

(Raises hand) I heard about Ragnarok.

Also, all 3 of them are the part of Dark Reign storyline, so it makes sence they were introduced when MPQ had "Dark Reign" subtitle. SG doesn't have any intro story in MPQ so far.

Remember, R&G look argueablely out of place with other chars presented here, GotG having almost no conection with the Earth part of Marvel universe, but they had their intro story. A guest-star type of story, and Gamora was not in it, so it wasn't perfect. But they had a story nontheless.

And that's my point: if the characters are introduced within a story, I'm okay with never hearing about them before.

My issue wasn't that they shouldn't have introduced those three, it's that Squirrel Girl isn't the most obscure character in the game.

Squirrelgirl and Devil Dinosaur are probably the most obscure characters in the game (barring maybe Bagman, I had to look up what set of comics that specific cover was from, but who doesn't know Spider-Man?). The Hood is probably a close third.

Irony of all irony is that if the GotG movie hadn't been such a fluke boxoffice hit, I'd argue they'd be more obscure than The Hood.

That being said, the only character in MPQ I didn't know before MPQ so far has been Sentry. I had never heard of him before, but he's actually a pretty interesting character. The only other one remotely unknown to me was Luke Cage, but I had heard of him and knew a little about him.
    I think the obscurity for many of those characters depends on the era of comics you might have read. I got back into comics as an adult when Bendis began writing Daredevil. He's now a huge editorial force at Marvel, so all of his favorite characters like Luke Cage, Sentry, and the Hood have become really prominent over the last decade or so. I wouldn't have known any of these from my childhood. And I totally agree about GotG. Even with my reintroduction to Marvel, I didn't know any of those characters when the movie came out.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    then Yelena

I forgot about her. Yeah, she's definitely up there. icon_lol.gif She's probably the only person I question "why does she exist here".
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    Squirrel Girl's Furry Friends stats in my simulator:
    http://mpqsim.0cdn.net/?commands=SQGirl ... &runs=1000
    (not counting self-destroy by cascades yet)
    You're assuming that the three tiles destroyed don't generate AP?
  • Yelena and Ragnarok remain the only 2 characters I had never heard of prior to this game.

Everyone else I had at least come across in discussion or actual reading at some point.

Luke Cage I had run across here and there, but I actually started to like his character after reading the Jessica Jones Alias series, which if you haven't seen yet, is fantastic and a must-read.
  • Moon 17 wrote:
    I was first introduced to Luke Cage while reading these:
    http://www.seanbaby.com/hostess.htm

If you hadn't read them before now, you're welcome.

So my timing's a little bad because we've moved on from "who the heck is Luke Cage" to "who the heck is Squirrel Girl" but I couldn't get scans from my collection until today

KRUE5L5.jpg

6LHpLfo.jpg

jPqiKeA.jpg
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    The characters released lately always mentions AP collection in the text. If it doesn't, it's not collecting.
  • Furry Friends has an additional passive along with the active to destroy a basic tile for each furry friendly countdown at the beginning of the turn. I could've sworn that wasn't there before?

Edit: NVM, think they just reworded it maybe from what it went live with, could've sworn it wasn't written as a passive too.
  • Scoregasms wrote:
    Furry Friends has an additional passive along with the active to destroy a basic tile for each furry friendly countdown at the beginning of the turn. I could've sworn that wasn't there before?

Edit: NVM, think they just reworded it maybe from what it went live with, could've sworn it wasn't written as a passive too.
    It definitely wasn't worded as a passive earlier. I wonder if they're going to change defense grid, molotov, flame jet, etc
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Looking forward to running a SG, Groot and Deadpool team. A squirrel, a tree and a nut
  • Scoregasms wrote:
    Furry Friends has an additional passive along with the active to destroy a basic tile for each furry friendly countdown at the beginning of the turn. I could've sworn that wasn't there before?

NOOOOO THE ABILITY NO LONGER SAYS SQUIRRELS GO INTO THEIR PANTS I QUIT THIS GAME SHE SUCKS NOW WORST IN GAME
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Effects of change:
    - Hood now cant trigger basic tile destroy.
    - all (3) tiles removed in same moment. That means less strike dipping.

Also last turn, passive might not trigger depending on resolution order.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    I've never read a comic with Ragnorok in it, but I'd heard of him, in the list of terrible ideas Marvel has published. I've still never seen Yelena Belanova in a comic. I saw The Hood once or twice reading a few issues of Dark Avengers or Dark X-Men.

Anyone who hasn't heard of Luke Cage... well, they're definitely casual readers, if they've ever read at all. I don't think he's ever been on TV. The current Spider-Man has Power Man, and it might be Luke Cage, I'm not sure. Maybe he was in Ultimate Alliance? But Luke Cage has been a big B-character for four decades, and has been a bit of an A-character for about 15 years.

Sentry was very prominent in Dark Avengers, so I've read some, but I missed most of his major story lines.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    If you want to read about Sentry it's better to check out the original Sentry mini-series and Age of the Sentry. They completely ruined his character in the storyline leading to and including Dark Avengers.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess they figured not enough people were complaining she sucks, so they needed to make her Green worse.
  • just curious if anyone agrees that with the way D3 is releasing all of these characters that eventually it will come to the point where there are just too many to collect and hence most will begin using or focusing on characters they have most covers for. Assuming the game doesnt die and you have like 100 characters, it will be quite interesting to see the team setups then.

If this is the case, then I do applaud D3 for (while it takes a while) to nerf top end characters. As for the current 4* mentra, I suspect once there are enough 4* out, they may begin separating tier entry requirement such that you only have 3* only pvp and 4* only pvp etc. Sort of like Marvel contest of champions
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    The characters released lately always mentions AP collection in the text. If it doesn't, it's not collecting.

I'm not sure why you keep promoting this line of thinking.

Torch- red destroys tiles, description says nothing about AP, it generates AP

She-Hulk - red says "Destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP"

Rocket & Groot - green says "Does not generate AP"

Are there any examples where an ability destroys basic tiles, the description says nothing, and it does NOT generate AP?
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Scoregasms wrote:

NOOOOO THE ABILITY NO LONGER SAYS SQUIRRELS GO INTO THEIR PANTS I QUIT THIS GAME SHE SUCKS NOW WORST IN GAME

This makes me wonder if she really WAS a joke, but then they couldn't put out an actual character in time so they slotted her in.