*** Loki (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Greetings, fans of treacherous trickery!

You’ve heard that Loki is returning to Marvel Puzzle Quest and we’re excited to bring you first details on the new and awesome updates for the God of Lies and Mischief. Loki hasn’t been idle during his time out of the spotlight and has impressive new abilities at his disposal. Read on for details!

Loki
    Old
      Trickery - 15
    blacktile.png
    Loki’s Trickery turns the enemy’s tools against them, converting enemy Protect tiles to friendly Strike tiles and enemy Strike tiles to friendly Protect tiles.
      Level Upgrades Level 2: Costs 1 AP less. Level 3: Costs 1 AP less. Level 4: Costs 1 AP less. Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.

New
      Trickery - 11
    blacktile.png
    Loki's trickery turns the enemy's tools against them. Transforms 1 enemy Strike tile into a friendly Protect tile and 1 enemy Protect tile into a friendly Strike tile.
      Level Upgrades Level 2: Loki steals 2 Strike and Protect tiles. Level 3: Loki steals 3 Strike and Protect tiles. Level 4: Loki steals 5 Strike and Protect tiles. Level 5: Loki steals all Strike and Protect tiles.

Design thoughts:
    This was an older ability that had the "Costs 1 AP less" upgrade path. We wanted to re-introduce Loki with a modernized version of Trickery that still kept all of its former power. Hopefully this ability is more accessible and useful at lower levels, while still being just as awesome as ever at level 5.

Playability Thoughts:
    Nothing majorly changed here, although the ability now converts less tiles at Level 1 for less cost and converts all tiles at max level for the same cost. An overall buff, but due to how many tiles are normally placed on the board, it's not a huge one. Definitely a more usable ability at lower levels with the -4 AP built in.
      Illusions - 5 purpletile.png
      No change

New
        Mischief - PASSIVE greentile.png
        (PASSIVE) Loki is consumed by a cold rage as he moves to undermine his enemies. If the enemy team makes a match-4 of any color, Loki converts 2 basic tiles of that color into 4-turn Countdown tiles which steal 2 AP of a random color.
          Level Upgrades Level 2: Countdown tiles last 3 turns. Level 3: Loki creates 3 Countdown tiles. Level 4: Countdown tiles last 2 turns. Level 5: Loki creates 4 Countdown tiles.

Design thoughts:
        For Loki's new ability, we wanted to do something a little bit different. We get frustrated when the AI steals our match-4 and we've found, in Loki, a way to get revenge. Combining some disparate mechanics, Loki's new AP steal is both mischievous and sinister. Triggering off an enemy match 4, he can steal up to 8* AP (at level 5) from random colors.

Playability Thoughts:
        This ability is an interesting addition in that it brings a silver lining to those occasions that you just can't stop the opponent from making that 4-of-a-kind match. When they do that, Loki drops the indirect hurt on them in the form of stealing a bunch of their AP.

It’s definitely an ability that takes some getting used to using on offense, as there are times when you can figure out if an opponent is weak in a given color and then provide them with a weak match-4 for a boost. This also pushes Loki up in the kill order on defense, as players tend to get far more match-4's in a fight, and leaving him till last, like normal, will mean that there's a lot of AP drain to deal with.

- We hope you’ve enjoyed this look at Loki’s refresh. Details on awesome updates to Daredevil are coming soon. Stay tuned! -
      • turul
        turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
        Dat passive!
      • turul
        4*2ap = 16 AP?
      • mohio
        mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
        Just a note and a question. First, 4 tiles at level 5 can only steal 8 ap not 16. Maybe there was an older test version that stole even more?

As for the question, will this trigger off of a team up tile match 4 or only 'colored' tiles? Also I thought stealing was going to start branching into team ups, but I still haven't seen it. Was that eventually decided against or is it just not implemented yet?
      • Ebolamonkey84
        Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
        Mischief - PASSIVE greentile.png
        (PASSIVE) Loki is consumed by a cold rage as he moves to undermine his enemies. If the enemy team makes a match-4 of any color, Loki converts 2 basic tiles of that color into 4-turn Countdown tiles which steal 2 AP of a random color.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Countdown tiles last 3 turns.
        Level 3: Loki creates 3 Countdown tiles.
        Level 4: Countdown tiles last 2 turns.
        Level 5: Loki creates 4 Countdown tiles.

Design thoughts:
        For Loki's new ability, we wanted to do something a little bit different. We get frustrated when the AI steals our match-4 and we've found, in Loki, a way to get revenge. Combining some disparate mechanics, Loki's new AP steal is both mischievous and sinister. Triggering off an enemy match 4, he can steal up to 16* AP (at level 5) from random colors.

Am I missing something? Last I checked 2 AP * 4 tiles = 8 AP.

A few questions:
        Will each tile from a single Mischief steal from a potentially different color? That is how I interpreted it.
        Can they steal TU?
        Will a match 5 also trigger it?
      • Nighthawk81
        Nighthawk81 Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
        I think it is 2ap per countdown per turn. So 4 countdowns x 2ap x 2 turns = 16 ap
      • Nighthawk81
        Nighthawk81 Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
        One question I have is this:

Will this green cover be part of the token pulls when Loki is rotated back in?
      • Unknown
        Unknown ADMINISTRATORS
        Hey All,

The post should read that Mischief can steal up to 8AP. That's just a typo. Totally my bad.

And to field a quick question: Yes it will trigger on match-5s as well!
      • franckynight
        franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
        When will the change will be introduced? And how can we earn the new covers?
      • Thanos
        Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
        Any chance we can know his new HP?
      • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
        David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
        mohio wrote:
        4 tiles at level 5 can only steal 8 ap not 16. Maybe there was an older test version that stole even more?

Good catch. Corrected. Thank you.
      • DrNitroman
        DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
        Thanks for the news David! icon_e_smile.gif

Overall I'm glad that Loki gained a third ability and I'm eager to test it soon. This 'Mischief' Passive sticks well with the character icon_twisted.gif
        I don't think that this makes Loki a 1st tier character but he will be more interesting. A niche character specialized in counter.

further testing will be needed to assess if he can be efficient: Trickery need a good opportunity to be interesting and in a similar way Mischief might not be successful in stealing AP so often actually. We'll see...
      • mohio
        mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
        His green power is already in the game. Go check out your loki in game. There it also says "match 4 or more" so it's not ambiguous. The team up question still stands, although using the word color a few times makes me think the answer is no.

There's a Loki featured prodigal sun pve upcoming (token page has updated) which makes me think maybe there's a gauntlet featuring cmarv coming next to give out Loki rewards before that one

Edit: he has 1540 hp at level 40, which is the same as mystique, which puts him at 5950 hp at max level. Not sure if that's a change or not, I think probably not.
      • Lidolas
        Lidolas Posts: 500
        Loki: The star.pngstar.pngstar.png answer to star.pngstar.png problems ( icon_hawkeye.pngicon_magneto.png )

Actually, I like the passive. If I get those greenflag.png s I pretty sure I'll be throwing some iso his way.
      • Loki's new power is up. It's called Mischief. It's an ap steal; if the enemy gets a match 4, it creates two countdown tiles in that color that steal 2 random ap. It looks like the countdown goes down at level 2.
      • Trickery is still only useful against specific characters. I was hoping for an added stun effect or some damage so it was still playable 100% of the time. It can still be a dead power against a lot of teams. I certainly wouldn't expect people to be playing with Patch, Daken or Bullseye* in Loki PvP events.

His new passive skill looks good. I would max that up to 5 for sure.

* - Joke
      • IceIX
        IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
        mohio wrote:
        His green power is already in the game. Go check out your loki in game. There it also says "match 4 or more" so it's not ambiguous. The team up question still stands, although using the word color a few times makes me think the answer is no.

There's a Loki featured prodigal sun pve upcoming (token page has updated) which makes me think maybe there's a gauntlet featuring cmarv coming next to give out Loki rewards before that one

Edit: he has 1540 hp at level 40, which is the same as mystique, which puts him at 5950 hp at max level. Not sure if that's a change or not, I think probably not.
        Correct, 5950 max, not changed from the same level Mystique has.

No, Team-Up Match-4s will not create Countdown tiles. Only colored tile matches.

As for rewards, yes. Loki's new Mischief is planned to be available via a PVE Event upcoming Soon(tm).
      • D2KM_
        D2KM_ Posts: 134
        edited December 2014
        hmmmm new green passive sounds interesting....hope it will be the reward for the bop pvp icon_e_smile.gif any chance Loki is getting a boost to his health? With so many heavy hitters he is just so squishy icon_e_wink.gif

Edit: nvm ice answered the question in another post about his health lol thx
      • New green seems useful for people transitioning 2* to 3*. Good counter to 2* Mag and Hawkeye.

Any usefulness after that? Ehhhh.... I'm not seeing it.
      • turul
        Will it steal randomly 0ap(/1ap) colors?