Character rankings 9/14 edition: voting ended

Comments

• atomzed wrote:

Travesty!! icon_e_smile.gif

How could you not have Lcap as top 10? He's my mvp for pve and in the gauntlet, he's the one character I turn to the most. And in pvp, he is the best character against hulk... especially when hulk is buffed! (Ok technically when hulk is buffed, his anger takes more to trigger but still... )

I so agree with this. Cap was my first 166 character, and he's awesome at PvE and at Hulk slaying. The Hulk I think has lost favor even as a defensive wall in PvP. He's not that hard to kill really, just have to send him to Anger Managment. Especially with team ups now. 30 seconds beating the **** out of Venom in prolouge and you have a 5 AP 1 turn stun you can hit Hulk as much as you want. I bump Hulk for LCap to the top 10 on that prediction.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Voted. I expect my top 10 to be pretty spot on but after that it is kinda wash when I couldn't really place lower stars with any sort of accuracy. Anyway I predict Beast will the lowest 3-star this time around.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

How could you not have Lcap as top 10? He's my mvp for pve and in the gauntlet, he's the one character I turn to the most. And in pvp, he is the best character against hulk... especially when hulk is buffed! (Ok technically when hulk is buffed, his anger takes more to trigger but still... )

I so agree with this. Cap was my first 166 character, and he's awesome at PvE and at Hulk slaying. The Hulk I think has lost favor even as a defensive wall in PvP. He's not that hard to kill really, just have to send him to Anger Managment. Especially with team ups now. 30 seconds beating the **** out of Venom in prolouge and you have a 5 AP 1 turn stun you can hit Hulk as much as you want. I bump Hulk for LCap to the top 10 on that prediction.

Xforce is a far better trump to hulk than cap (although caps a good number 2): surgical cascades into xforce which will almost 1 shot hulk for 11 black ap. Cap requires 12 red and 12 blue to get a similar effect.
  • I think I speak for everyone when I say - Thanks, mischiefmaker! (+1)
    I always look forward to these.
  • This should probably be stickied, and the old one de-stickied, at this point. Riggy? Hi-fi?
  • why Colossus isnt there? I thought one of the reason for the delay was to wait for him to be released which we now have. It will be another long winter before the next ranking, I wish he would be in the list
  • silverrex wrote:
    why Colossus isnt there? I thought one of the reason for the delay was to wait for him to be released which we now have. It will be another long winter before the next ranking, I wish he would be in the list

I think the general idea is that there should be a decent amount of playing time for a character before they are ranked, as it can take a lot of time, and covers, for some of the nuances of a character to present themselves.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Is there any way to see preliminary results as we tally votes?
  • atomzed wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Predictions (Captain Obvious presents):
    Top 10: X-Force, Sentry, Hood, lazyThor, Black Panther, cMagneto, Patch, lazyDaken, Nick Fury, Hulk
    Highest climb: X-Force
    Lowest drop: modern Storm
    Lowest new: Beast followed by Mohawk Storm
    Highest new: Nick Fury followed by Captain Marvel
    Too good for their stars: oBW, Ares
    Too bad for their stars: IW, Daredevil
    Best 2*: oBW
    Best 1*: mBW (team-up power!)
    Most controversial: She-Hulk/Spider-Man?
    Most agreed on: Yelena

I did vote LC top 10 myself, but I tried to predict the top 10 from the PvP POV.
  • NorthernPolarity
    locked wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Top 10: X-Force, Sentry, Hood, lazyThor, Black Panther, cMagneto, Patch, lazyDaken, Nick Fury, Hulk

I did vote LC top 10 myself, but I tried to predict the top 10 from the PvP POV.

I feel like Hulk loses out to C. Marvs nowadays, solely on the basis of Hulk being the worst vs X-Force ( X-Force has 2 direct nukes which completely bypass anger, and Hulk's main color strength is green which is just asking to get X-Forced compared to red for C. Marvs. Both functionally fill the same role of deterring AoE/strike tile attacks / attacks in general, but C. Marvs is better positioned in the meta.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    locked wrote:

I feel like Hulk loses out to C. Marvs nowadays, solely on the basis of Hulk being the worst vs X-Force ( X-Force has 2 direct nukes which completely bypass anger, and Hulk's main color strength is green which is just asking to get X-Forced compared to red for C. Marvs. Both functionally fill the same role of deterring AoE/strike tile attacks / attacks in general, but C. Marvs is better positioned in the meta.

On the other hand, hulk is also a great partner for xforce in pve. I deliberately soft cap XForce level so that hulk is in front, and in the gauntlet, hulk was generating green on every other turns. That feed into more xforce xforce!

My main point is that if we look at the character only from pvp, then a lot of the character value is lost.When I rated the characters, I also rate them from the perspective of pve.
  • NorthernPolarity
    atomzed wrote:
    On the other hand, hulk is also a great partner for xforce in pve. I deliberately soft cap XForce level so that hulk is in front, and in the gauntlet, hulk was generating green on every other turns. That feed into more xforce xforce!

My main point is that if we look at the character only from pvp, then a lot of the character value is lost.When I rated the characters, I also rate them from the perspective of pve.

But by that logic, isn't C. Marvs better because she can generate black for X-Force in PvE (surgical > xforce)?

And yeah, I get what you mean about PvP not being the end all, but I think weighing characters on a 75% PvP, 25% PvE scale sounds about reasonable, since how good the character is in PvP matters considerably more than how good the character is in PvE simply because PvP is where most of the rewards are at, which means that PvP should be the most important consideration in terms of character ranking.
  • atomzed wrote:

But by that logic, isn't C. Marvs better because she can generate black for X-Force in PvE (surgical > xforce)?

And yeah, I get what you mean about PvP not being the end all, but I think weighing characters on a 75% PvP, 25% PvE scale sounds about reasonable, since how good the character is in PvP matters considerably more than how good the character is in PvE simply because PvP is where most of the rewards are at, which means that PvP should be the most important consideration in terms of character ranking.
    I think you're both right. I didn't want to inlcude Marvel thanks to being new-ish and rare, but then I remembered that XF and Fury are even rarer. Guess she should be a firm top 11, 10 if we exclude a certain someone (Daken?). But with Daken and LC, it's a top 12.
  • atomzed wrote:
    Xforce is a far better trump to EVERYONE than cap (although caps a good number 2): surgical cascades into xforce which will almost 1 shot hulk for 11 black ap. Cap requires 12 red and 12 blue to get a similar effect.

Fixed for you. icon_lol.gif

Just because X-Force does it better (at a predicted #2 on the list of best characters evar) doesn't mean Cap isn't top 10 material. He's also a lot easier to get. 4*s, in my eyes, lose points in ranking just due to rarity. In a vacuum sure X-Force is better than patch, but who is going to be more useful to any particular player? Once you reach max covers for X-Force he's great, before that he's ... average at best. A 13 cover patch is better than a 9 cover X-Force and your average player is going to have a 13 cover Patch long before he gets anywhere close to a decent X-Force. So.. who rates better in terms of usefulness?
  • NorthernPolarity
    Lerysh wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    Xforce is a far better trump to EVERYONE than cap (although caps a good number 2): surgical cascades into xforce which will almost 1 shot hulk for 11 black ap. Cap requires 12 red and 12 blue to get a similar effect.

Fixed for you. icon_lol.gif

Just because X-Force does it better (at a predicted #2 on the list of best characters evar) doesn't mean Cap isn't top 10 material. He's also a lot easier to get. 4*s, in my eyes, lose points in ranking just due to rarity. In a vacuum sure X-Force is better than patch, but who is going to be more useful to any particular player? Once you reach max covers for X-Force he's great, before that he's ... average at best. A 13 cover patch is better than a 9 cover X-Force and your average player is going to have a 13 cover Patch long before he gets anywhere close to a decent X-Force. So.. who rates better in terms of usefulness?

Fair enough, X-Force over Cap doesn't mean much with that respect, haha.

I don't really agree with your rarity argument, because by that logic, OBW > every single other character in the game. The "average" player is probably in their 1->2* transition, so I don't think it's fair to dock a 4* just because they aren't good if they don't have max covers. How good a character is during transition phases when they aren't at max rosters and such is a small consideration, but I feel like the rankings should be based off of how good the character is in PvP / PvE given how powerful/viable the character is at max covers with respect to the other characters in the roster. This should also bump up characters that are generally good in transition roles but get outclassed once you have a deeper roster (like how Punisher is probably going to be ranked similarly to C. Mags even though a max level player would probably use C. Mags a lottt more than they run Punisher).
  • I agree with that to an extent, but I feel like those who don't have X-Force viable on their rosters will not vote him as high as those that do. Those forum users who are in 2* land will probably put OBW pretty damn high on the list too.
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Alrighty, voted. This was the hardest one so far, what with all the new and all the good characters. I couldn't decide where to put Fury and X-Force, since they are very good but I always take feasibility of leveling into account, at least in a small part. So I actually forget whether I put Sentry above them or below (meant above), but I think I put Thor above and meant to have him below. Otherwise, I think I managed sort of ok in ranking everybody- I still think at the very least Loki is worse than Beast, I don't know why people are saying Beast is the worst 3*. Also probably many of my decisions are controversial, but that's cool, it's my opinion.
    Also, I've gotta say that I can't wait for the write-ups, those are probably my favorite part of this whole thing.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards

True that Capt marvel can feed in better for surgical strike. But the main issue I have with surgical strike is that it depends on the opp tile strength AND whether you have a team which can utilise it. So I rate the green ability a little higher.

And most importantly.... I don't have a fully covered CM so I can't comment on her synergy with xforce icon_razz.gif
    Lerysh wrote:
    I agree with that to an extent, but I feel like those who don't have X-Force viable on their rosters will not vote him as high as those that do. Those forum users who are in 2* land will probably put OBW pretty damn high on the list too.

Xforce is in a slightly different situation than fury or even the newer 3* character. He was the first 4*, and has been present in tokens for a much longer time. And he was also the only one given out as 4* for rewards for a long time. In fact I see more xforce than fury now.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    icon_juggernaut.png has risen up my list because of Balance of Power and Combined Arms icon_e_wink.gif
  • My top 10 were:
    Sentry
    X Force
    Nick Fury
    Lazy Thor
    Lazy Daken
    Lazy Captain America
    Hulk
    The Hood
    Captain Marvel
    Black Panther

Patch and Magneto are the first two out. With Mags' nerf, he pulled Patch down with him a bit. They are both still strong, but not quite as strong as the mega tanks, Sentry, Thor, Captain Marvel and Hulk, the supports, Hood and Daken, or the murderers, Lazy Cap, X force, Nick Fury and Black Panther.