Character rankings 6/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• yogi_ wrote:
    Used.

When I one day get a third yellow, do I use it?

I just used my 3rd yellow, just because I am a level-up lover. I thought it was a bad idea, but even at 2 AP, green is so versatile a color that I don't feel bad for bumping it to level 3 for 10 ap. Now, moving it to level 4 for purple? That even I'm not going to do.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    Do not use the third yellow on IM40. I did and I eventually just sold him, he's so bad.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Do not use the third yellow on IM40. I did and I eventually just sold him, he's so bad.
    Echoed--2 yellow is great. As mischiefmaker said in his write-up, pair him with Lazy Cap in PVE and it greatly accelerates how quickly you can launch both Star-Spangled Avenger and Peaemaker.

3 yellow is overkill. If you want to generate green AP you might as well just get an extra 2 yellow AP and then use Thor's Thunder Strike. There are better green generators, including Thunder Strike, Hulk's Anger and GSBW's Deceptive Tactics.
  • Yea, going third yellow was one of the worst choices I've made so far. I held out for so long too (selling 2 other yellows before that). But for awhile there, green was so dominant in the game, I thought it made sense.

I wish they had an option to burn off covers. There's no way I'm going to invest more ISO into building another IM40.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    I wish they had an option to burn off covers. There's no way I'm going to invest more ISO into building another IM40.

Yeah, that'd be pretty awesome. Ideally you'd keep the same level despite having less covers, but I could live with less levels in return for more usable powers without having to build another character.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    I would rank OBW as about 21st now.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Perhaps it's too dependent on the impending Magneto nerf, but you didn't include a best build for Patch.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Thank you so much for posting this, was looking forward to this write-up ever since the poll began! This is an invaluable piece for everyone, regardless of how many days into MPQ you are in.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2014
    Unfortunately, with the recent change to healing, these rankings are significantly less relevant and accurate than they were yesterday. icon_cry.gif

Oh, and to add, this does not diminish my appreciation for the effort and generosity involved in bringing this to the masses. Thank you!
  • And we're done! Last installment is up. Thanks again to everyone for their kind words about the rankings -- your appreciation is a big part of my motivation for doing these regularly.
    mohio wrote:
    Perhaps it's too dependent on the impending Magneto nerf, but you didn't include a best build for Patch.
    Yes, this is because I only include recommended builds for characters where the recommendation has changed since the last set of rankings. My personal build is 3/5/5 but there are good reasons to go 5/5/3. I don't think any of the other builds are quite as good, but he's so powerful that they're all pretty playable.
    locked wrote:
    You only generally want IM 40 for PvE as he is totes useless in PvP unless you have zero useful yellow abilities otherwise
    Au contraire, my dear! Try playing Patch/Magneto/551 IM40 sometime. Might be the fastest combination I've ever played. Pretty useless on defense, of course, but if you're playing Magneto you're already kind of punting on defense.
    orionpeace wrote:
    With the recent change to healing, these rankings are significantly less relevant and accurate than they were yesterday. icon_cry.gif
    Yes, that's probably somewhat true (though I believe the effect is not going to be as significant as people think; we'll see). But then it's also true to some extent any time there's a change.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    ^ IM 40 is only viable in his own tourneys as most tourneys are 'your 2 best guys' format.

Not sure 5/5/3 Patch is viable for anyone except shieldhoppers and devoted kamikaze players, now.
  • vudu3
    mischiefmaker, you don't have labels on your nifty chart in the second post, but if I'm reading/guessing right did 96% of people have cMags ranked in their top 3? If so, that's nuts! I thought you said in the voting thread that #1 and #2 were very close?
  • OzarkBoatswain
    mohio wrote:
    Yes, this is because I only include recommended builds for characters where the recommendation has changed since the last set of rankings. My personal build is 3/5/5 but there are good reasons to go 5/5/3. I don't think any of the other builds are quite as good, but he's so powerful that they're all pretty playable.

5/3/5 is the best if you're using him with CMags 5/5/3. No point in ever using Best There Is.
  • over_clocked
    ^ icon_rolleyes.gif Right, BTI is only an ability that downs LT/Hulk/Sentry/enemy Patch in one go.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    mischiefmaker, you don't have labels on your nifty chart in the second post, but if I'm reading/guessing right did 96% of people have cMags ranked in their top 3? If so, that's nuts! I thought you said in the voting thread that #1 and #2 were very close?
    Ah right, I knew I forgot to update something! Fixed.

#1 and #2 were somewhat less close at the end than they were when I originally posted, though still relatively close. Magneto had way more top 2 responses (70%, as compared to 51% for Thor), which was what put him over the top -- both had 87% of the voters putting them in the top 7, which is kind of crazy given that it's pretty hard to get 87% of forum goers to agree on anything.
  • over_clocked
    Shotout to the guy that voted cHawkeye #4!
    When I was discovering the game for myself, he was my #2! icon_lol.gif Good times.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 wrote:
    Ah right, I knew I forgot to update something! Fixed.

#1 and #2 were somewhat less close at the end than they were when I originally posted, though still relatively close. Magneto had way more top 2 responses (70%, as compared to 51% for Thor), which was what put him over the top -- both had 87% of the voters putting them in the top 7, which is kind of crazy given that it's pretty hard to get 87% of forum goers to agree on anything.
    Ah...so I was reading it backwards...96% of people have Yelena in their bottom 3. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Any way to add a chart showing where everyone ranked each character? I want to see the rest of the personal rankings for who the guys who voted 3* Thor at #39 and Patch at #40!
  • I know it is not relevant to this voting compilation, but the healing nerf would change this ranking

* Daken and Wolverine (Patch) are clearly #1/#2 for use in all situations now, they are the only options to extended play outside of healthpacks.
    * Any character with easy shield tiles is much more valuable than before
    * Any character with healing has a mostly useless power**** EXCEPT when used with Daken and Wolverine, because healing causes new damage to come from that phantom health pool, while regen goes towards real health.

this makes
    * Spiderman/Daken/Patch a new FOTM trio. easy mitigation, easy to hide spidey, lots n lots of regen and damage, and the occasional heal along with match damage mitigation can help regen be even more effective.
    * Falcon/Daken/Patch is a second outstanding option
    * Magneto/Daken/Patch is a shaky third with Mags about to get turned into Bagneto.
    * Bullseye/Daken/Patch a viable PvE team

Also, covers that damage the team are much less valuable on offense (fine on defense).

seem right?
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the new changes to healing, a 2* team will need to consider "will I get hurt at all?" since OBW can't heal up everyone when the battle is locked down.

Daken, Psylocke, Punisher, Sentry, Torch, and Magneto can all reliably get off a damaging power. It won't be game ending, but it will hurt. The Punisher might be best at this.
    Hulk, Hood, and Spiderman can slow down a win.

I'm seeing more 2* teams now. For scaring them away, Daken/Punisher/*** might be quite effective.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    locked wrote:
    ^ icon_rolleyes.gif Right, BTI is only an ability that downs LT/Hulk/Sentry/enemy Patch in one go.

With all the strike tiles from Lvl5 Berserker Rage out, casting Magnetic Projectile seven times (= 14 red AP) will do 7147 damage plus the damage from 35 tiles and possible cascades. (assuming the strike tiles don't get destroyed, which some probably will.)