This is the end - Starfall May 30 - Jun 1

Options
12346»

Comments

• daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    @daveomite - I didn't get attacked a single time up to ~800, then I spent the next 1.5 hours bouncing around between 700 and 880, before finally hitting 915 or so and shielding. Didn't help I forgot to plug in my ipad so it died (thankfully between matches) and after a couple minutes to come back on I had dropped 150. I know my team is not really going to get skipped, but it still seems rediculous how hard it is these days.

Almost forgot - a couple times I was somehow matched against people with many 100s pts less than myself and it was worth like 6 or 7 points. I thought it must have been a retaliation that I hadn't gotten the notification for yet, but never got one. It really blew my mind.

yup...they should just start calling these things Shield Fest 01/02/03, whatever. Be a bit more on point at least.

finally managed to get to 1,003 at the very end. Did 4 matches in the final 6 minutes and didn't get attacked there. Surprised me. I was barely nursing my 920 or so, and an hour earlier, unshielding was like running out into oncoming traffic for sure.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Emeryt wrote:
    qtquazar wrote:
    Emeryt wrote:
    something changed.

When I was trying to reach 900 (three times since the beginning of this tourney), each time I passed 700, people started attack me. Under 700 the attacks were not that often.

I was at 600 for more than an hour. When I just climbed over 700, 2mins later I got hit.

700 is the point where you now become 'visible' to the wider audience. You can tell, because if you have a high MMR, you'll see 141 teams up to 700, and then suddenly a wild OBW appears.
    Good point. Agree, now that You mentioned it.

agreed. Crossing 700 is where all my issues started. It was like being on fire, walking into a building full of people, but no lights on. They just couldn't miss seeing you at all.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    This event ended up costing a new personal record of three shields to hit 1100. Dis kitty was cray cray.

Sigh, if only you hadn't hit me 0.14 seconds before my second shield supposedly went up at 1101 points, Dark Silence. icon_razz.gif I admittedly did pay it forward (...retroactively) with qtquazar, though. icon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've never seen an event where people got hammered at such a low point value. Usually that happens around the 900 mark, but in this event it was starting at around 700 and sometimes even earlier than that. I did see a ton of people shielded. Is Patch really that coveted? Or did people just shield up because they got tired of losing all their points right away?

At any rate I think problem like this will only get worse because you can't lose levels in this game and while I have no problem fighting 141X3s, I do have a problem if nobody is ever getting out of 700 or so points without shielding because there are no more weak players to prop up the score. Yes, I know plenty of people had high scores, but they're also all shielded too. I rarely use shields and I can't think of an event, not even in the craziness toward the end of season 1, where you can't even climb to 900 without shielding.
  • Unknown
    Options
    My experience:

I made a late push (with 1 hr 15 left) and got to about 690, but then was massacred. I hit an MMR bubble where I only saw three people, but after I skipped 6 times it started letting me queue up lower-tier opponents. But I couldn't beat those teams fast enough to overcome the attacks.

I wasn't going to shield at 600 and preserve 45th place, so I just let myself fall the last 30 minutes.
  • Unknown
    edited June 2014
    Options
    i dont know what everyone else is talking about but i got to 1135 from 700 in one run while only using 1 shield lol
  • Unknown
    Options
    My hardest PvP by a country mile. I usually run to 700 untroubled, get to high 800's with a bit of shielding then occassionally get over 900 with frequent shield hopping.

This time I was getting hard opponents almost straight away (from about 100pts) and hit regularly from 300 up. One time in my 400's I skipped 5 battles, each skip matching me up with another 141 L-Thor.

Got knows how I scraped inside the top 50 but it was only in the last minute of the event. It wasn't fun.

Getting tougher for me, and I'm certainly spending less money as a result. There's little point in me joining an event until the last day if I'm going to have to permanently shield to avoid getting smashed for points and struggling in the matches I do play.
  • Unknown
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    This event ended up costing a new personal record of three shields to hit 1100. Dis kitty was cray cray.

Sigh, if only you hadn't hit me 0.14 seconds before my second shield supposedly went up at 1101 points, Dark Silence. icon_razz.gif I admittedly did pay it forward (...retroactively) with qtquazar, though. icon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    As bad as this pvp was, it confirmed how bad the sentry is for me. I only used one of his abilities once and that was because I activated it on accident and swore when I did so damaging my team. Hes fine on defense obviously but I dont want to level covers so I dont play them. Poor design imo.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I agree about Sentry. He would have been a lot more interesting to me (on offense) if he had a different color set.
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sentry + LD = mega pwnage... 7k AoE for 500 hp loss to 3 characters? Yes please...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yes, yes. LD&Sentry are a perfect combo, but 99 percent of the playerbase don't have those two covered up yet.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you didn't spend extra money on Sentry, why would anyone expect him to be viable at 2/1/1? Magneto would look pretty horrible at 2/1/1 too.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Busted my butt to find out I was unlikely to get top 10 with my schedule, then busted my butt to at least ensure a solid top 50. Got there, logged for a few hours, then returned with about 2 hours left on the clock. Played nonstop, battling to maintain top 50. Finally had #41 with less than a minute to go. ...bumped to #52 in that final minute. For all that work, instead of a Patch cover, I get M.Hawkeye. What a drag.
  • noobprime
    noobprime Posts: 403
    Options
    Mehhh wrote:
    For all that work, instead of a Patch cover, I get M.Hawkeye. What a drag.

Would you say it was ... mehhh? icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    The 2 star covers in the reward structure are just an insult at this point. They need to drop some tiers
    Expand the top 10 cover to 15 or 20 and drop the 50 one to 70 or 80. Its hard enough for people to get 3stars never mind missing them when they are given out once a month.
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Who actually wants the 2* now as event rewards when they are being given randomly (sometimes like candy) through PvP match win rewards?
  • Unknown
    Options
    morgh wrote:
    Who actually wants the 2* now as event rewards when they are being given randomly (sometimes like candy) through PvP match win rewards?

Would prefer standard tokens over 2* rewards. Giving out 2* like crazy is going to prove a bad move when everyone can max them all easily and are then faced with the terrible 3* transition even earlier.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Pylos wrote:
    morgh wrote:

Would prefer standard tokens over 2* rewards. Giving out 2* like crazy is going to prove a bad move when everyone can max them all easily and are then faced with the terrible 3* transition even earlier.
    But... it's the whole point. Give out 1 and 2* covers like candy, but create the deficiency for 3* covers.