The good, the bad, the funny?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Scofie said:
    The more that people need educating on a subject should be directly proportionate to the exposure it is given. Consider it education.

It's honestly like saying there are too many spelling segments on Sesame Street if half the country were illiterate. "Stop ramming words down out throats Bert and Ernie, I cn mayk up my own speling".

I think this thread is a very good example of marginalized communities needing more exposure.

I don't think @Bad is outwardly bigoted, but I do believe (based on his comments) he has certain stigmas in his mind that prevents him from having an open mind. I assume he's from a community where machismo is traditionally important and his view of sexuality is dominated by stereotypes, whether he recognizes that or not.

Inclusive characters that perform every role, from lead hero to bumbling villain, that are neither presented as stereotypes nor defined by their sexuality/gender/race are needed to overcome such viewpoints. (Characters should be diverse, but that diversity should not dominate the story... They should just be. My opinion, and I hope it makes sense)

You're sesame street example is spot on.

Liars know they're lying but still get mad when called on it.

Narcissists don't always know they're being selfish though, even when it's obvious to others, because that's just how they're wired.

Individual viewpoints on sociopolitical ideology falls somewhere in between because people have trouble separating biased ideas (that come from tradition/family/stigma) and real world observation. For any individual to overcome their biases (whether they believe they have them or not-we all do) they must first accept the possibility they believe things that could be wrong... And most people aren't willing to do that. Which is why it takes whole generations for change to occur.

Some media outlets are a bit heavy handed though which gives anyone with a bias an excuse to blame inclusion for ruining their favorite IPs. The problem isn't inclusion... It's poor writing. When the writing gets better, hopefully those individuals with biases will start accepting a broader range of characters.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,144 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Blackstone - sorry work was hectic and just remembered to revisit this conversation. You are absolutely right. The generational resolution is sadly the only way. Sometimes it takes multiple generations because hereditary bias can be very strong and supported by culture and religion.

In some ways, threads like this make me sad because my kids will need to navigate this world in a way I'm not sure I was exposed to growing up. But it is also pleasing that there are those standing up for others and challenging nonsense where it is presented. I know that you must be a great role model for your family and friends. Have a great Christmas and New Year.