*** Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) ***

14647495152

Comments

  • ark123 wrote:
    GT rag loki >GT lthor loki(which can't be used)

    There's another point for rags. He isn't one of the 3 thors.

    GT, Loki, LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE > GT, Loki, Rags. Rags brings nothing to that table. You can't use his blue for charge tiles, you can't use his red to make blue because Smite, and you can't use his green because it's just awful, bring a better green user.
  • scotteescottee Posts: 1,591 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon 17 wrote:
    The only circumstance wherein Ragnarok would be more desirable than Thor is when you had a blue power on your team that was so good that you absolutely had to had to feed it. Rags is a good blue feeder.


    Hmmm, if only we had an infinite combo that utilized blue, and where the blue ability fed a third color, let's say purple, that reproduced both blue and red...
  • scottee wrote:
    Moon 17 wrote:
    The only circumstance wherein Ragnarok would be more desirable than Thor is when you had a blue power on your team that was so good that you absolutely had to had to feed it. Rags is a good blue feeder.


    Hmmm, if only we had an infinite combo that utilized blue, and where the blue ability fed a third color, let's say purple, that reproduced both blue and red...

    SSHHHHHH.... don't let the nerf gods hear you.
  • PylgrimPylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    ark123 wrote:
    GT rag loki >GT lthor loki(which can't be used)

    There's another point for rags. He isn't one of the 3 thors.

    Oh man, oh man! This is the spearpoint of your crusade educating us about Rags is basically Thor-like OP! Time to buy those 4 blue covers I am missing and the Iso necessary to max him!

    More seriously, what is the point of your argument (besides the obvious trolling), anyway? What good is to prove and maintain that Ragnarok may or may not be in some blue-moon occasion be a better pick than Thor? Fair enough, you win: Ragnarok is not comparatively terrible, strictly worse than Thor in every single possible way, he is just comparatively terrible, almost strictly worse than Thor in almost every single possible way. Now tell me, how did acknowledging this technical factoid affected at all the issue addressed by the thread? There's not much difference between 100% suck and 99% suck, though I'm guessing you will argue that percentage into the 5th decimal point. The only thing you managed was getting you that tiny bit of validation, at the cost of compromising the seriousness with which we'll regard any future argument you posit.
  • Thor is strictly better than a whole mess of guys in the game so if he is strictly better than Ragnarok, which I don't think is 100% true, that's hardly anything surprising. In Krakadoom there are a few times where I thought it'd be pretty useful if I had Lightning Rod at level 5 since I'm sitting at a pile of blue from his cheap Thunderclap and I see some matchable greens. Of course since I only have it at level 1 it's not worth the trouble to put 2-3 charged green on the board but had that been 6-9 charged tiles, there would definitely be some circumstances where that is a good idea. He's got one of the better tile generator ability in the game (6 AP to create 4), though the lack of a blue powerhouse means there's not much you can do with the blue AP.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Thor is strictly better than a whole mess of guys in the game so if he is strictly better than Ragnarok, which I don't think is 100% true, that's hardly anything surprising. In Krakadoom there are a few times where I thought it'd be pretty useful if I had Lightning Rod at level 5 since I'm sitting at a pile of blue from his cheap Thunderclap and I see some matchable greens. Of course since I only have it at level 1 it's not worth the trouble to put 2-3 charged green on the board but had that been 6-9 charged tiles, there would definitely be some circumstances where that is a good idea. He's got one of the better tile generator ability in the game (6 AP to create 4), though the lack of a blue powerhouse means there's not much you can do with the blue AP.

    You see what you did Ark? You made me agree with Phantron again. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • unimatrixunimatrix Posts: 228
    I have mentioned this in my alliance chat.

    You know ragnarok has sunk to new low when in PVE you gladly choose to down Yelena before you down him.

    That's how bad he is right now.
  • KrazyKeylimeKrazyKeylime Age Unconfirmed Posts: 367
    i had a suggest on a fix when he first came out that kinda goes with the charater in the comics:
    Cythor is a **** remake, doom kept his skills, Cythor can't ****. just off the top of my head he could of had an ability called Malfunction too much energy was generated 5 blacktile.png where there is a chance to stun himself for 3 turns, shoot off one of his other abilities or let loose a blast of energy dealing max 3500 single target. increase in covers can reduce the stun down to 1 or 2 or sway the outcome so stun is less likely. right you like Gamblely stuff, especially if the odds are in your favor icon_e_biggrin.gif cough token packs cough
  • Does anyone know if Rags is still worth keeping in a roster. I've been getting covers for him more in random drops. Maybe I need to put a little ISO in him so I'll get less of him in drops. I just would feel like a waste to sell him right away being that at least has some covers. Not sure if I'll ever use him though. I loved the old Rags when he used to be able to take two columns away in the center of the board. I bet that old ability was a good board shaker.
  • Marc_SpectorMarc_Spector Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    I would say so, but only as I've been playing for awhile and recommend keeping every *** for whenever they're buffed/essential. Depending on your available roster slots, your mileage may vary.

    I've been using my 5/5/3 166 Rags quite a bit lately and haven't been as irked as I expected to be. I still believe the cost of Rags' green should be lowered to around 10AP [EDIT: or the green reworked completely], but his red's still very cheap/spammable, and a few cheap casts of his blue before Thor's yellow can drastically accelerate Call The Storm (add Kamala Khan's purple in there as well for an extra greensplosion) and help keep Rags' health up there when maintanking in the center position.

    So, his blue is servicable but unexciting. However, I'll continue to reserve judgement until seeing how it may work with future game mechanics and characters that may be in the pipeline.

    Aside from any cost or mechanical concerns, I think the biggest strike against his blue was how spoiled I felt by how much fun Loki and Doom's new 3rd abilities were.
  • Omega RedOmega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    He has found a new role in my roster. I 've been using him a lot in PVE with OBW, Modern Storm, Spider-man. His rework was a disappointment but he's still important in my PVE game.
  • Marc_SpectorMarc_Spector Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    Omega Red wrote:
    He has found a new role in my roster. I 've been using him a lot in PVE with OBW, Modern Storm, Spider-man. His rework was a disappointment but he's still important in my PVE game.

    For me as well. Despite it not being "true" healing, those bursts of health from his blue do keep him topped-up quite well. Between Rags' blue and Kamala Khan's yellow, I'm glad to have a few more characters that can handle a sustainable PVE push on trickier nodes.
  • Thanks Guys! I think I'll keep him with all of your reasons to back it up. I guess he'll get better later when I invest more ISO into him. At least I know now he does have some value since the tone of this thread made me question his value in the game.
  • Marc_SpectorMarc_Spector Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    rowie wrote:
    Thanks Guys! I think I'll keep him with all of your reasons to back it up. I guess he'll get better later when I invest more ISO into him. At least I know now he does have some value since the tone of this thread made me question his value in the game.

    Anytime!

    And, if you're new to the forum, I wouldn't pay TOO much heed to the usual kneejerk-reaction chorus of "IT SUCKS!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!1!" that follows many character changes/buffs/nerfs. Over time you'll start to notice recurring names of some forumites such as Phantron or Phaserhawk above who've always been good at offering a more fair/balanced assessment.

    I do have some issues with Rags' redesign (his green in particular), but I think he's just fine as a high-HP PVE tank, and not at all the sell-on-sight abomination that many here are making him out to be.

    As mentioned, mine's 5/5/3 for now -- if they don't lower the cost (or change the utility) of his green anytime soon, I'll likely switch to 3/5/5 as more blue covers appear, and use him predominantly as a self-sustaining PVE tank to fuel other characters' blue/green abilities.
  • dkffivdkffiv Posts: 1,032 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2015
    Rag is a lot worse than he was, and he was pretty bad back then. His PvE nodes were significantly easier, especially with Kamala. His green is bad, his red is decent and his blue is terrible unless you're pairing him with very specific characters (namely gsbw kamala or lthor. Loki is also decent for this task).

    I suppose he can be useful in bolstering 2* during your transition but he loses almost all his value once you reach 3*. If you're using him exclusively for red + blue lcap and cmags will fill that role better.

    Unless you're playing with someone who can target and gain those random charged tiles, they are very dangerous in pve. If they are not currently attainable, a random cascade later and Ares is sitting on 10+ green and ready to down someone.

    During his featured PvP he was annoying and that's about it. His blue spam would drag the match on but he wasn't a threat.
  • Marc_SpectorMarc_Spector Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    All of these things are true. He doesn't really have much of a place in PVP at all anymore -- vs. a fighting chance if they'd just kept his green the same (for annoyance factor) and added a better/different [potentially meta-changing] blue.

    I do enjoy him in PVE though, as I like to frequently rotate who I'm using to keep things fresh (or at least, less-depressing, depending on the Event icon_e_biggrin.gif ). And he is very fun to use along Kamala Khan or GSBW.
  • hesjingixenhesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    I don't have the covers yet, but I think I'm going to use him in PvE. Basically, I've started using Luke Cage/Iron Fist a lot to clear PvE nodes. The only color they don't hit is blue, and despite hitting red, they don't have an active ability for it. Ragnarok should be able to A) tank red for Cage, B) tank green for IF, C) provide a use for red, and D) provide an alternative use for green. Between Cage's defense tile and Rag's fake healing, he should stay pretty topped off. Now, to get those covers.....
  • ClydeFrog76ClydeFrog76 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just sold my 5/5/1 lvl 140 for 53K ISO and 1K HP. I've thought about it for a while but it's most of a cover cost and a lot of levels towards a character that I actually care about. Can't argue with that imo.

    Didn't enjoy using him at all when he was essential in the last Gauntlet and it'll be a while before he's needed again so I'm not that worried.

    Anyone else flick the big guy at the increased buy back?
  • Posted this awhile back in another Ragnarok thread. Simple Ragnarok fix:

    1. Godlike Power: Destroy 2 random columns instead of 1. The power costs 14 AP, it should do more.

    2. Change Lightning Rod to change random basic tiles instead of just green basic tiles, to Charged Green tiles.


    As he is currently, Ragnarok is likely to drop to worst 3* behind even DocOck, Beast, and Quicksilver.(3rd worst 3* in most recent poll before DocOck, Beast buffs)
  • Marc_SpectorMarc_Spector Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    daibar wrote:
    Posted this awhile back in another Ragnarok thread. Simple Ragnarok fix:

    1. Godlike Power: Destroy 2 random columns instead of 1. The power costs 14 AP, it should do more.
    2. Change Lightning Rod to change random basic tiles instead of just green basic tiles, to Charged Green tiles.

    As he is currently, Ragnarok is likely to drop to worst 3* behind even DocOck, Beast, and Quicksilver.(3rd worst 3* in most recent poll before DocOck, Beast buffs)

    Both those changes would be fantastic and fair. Before getting his first blue cover, I actually assumed it WOULD create new green charged tiles -- only to find it was even worse than expected. -___-
Sign In or Register to comment.