Devpool's Taco Token Community Challenge

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,641 Chairperson of the Boards

I disagree that the player base isn't growing -- I don't think we know or can know that, and it's likely that it still is. I don't know that the high level player base that we talk to is growing, but I think we're the least significant group of players.

I also disagree that there's any point in trying to engage and prop up morale among the disaffected folks who continue to play the game out of habit, despite not enjoying it. I don't think that's actually possible at this point (these players have been disaffected and uninterested in the game for 10 years now, and are still here complaining), and I think the game would be better off (both financially and as a community) without them.

• entrailbucket
    edited 8 August 2024, 00:22

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:
    I disagree that the player base isn't growing -- I don't think we know or can know that, and it's likely that it still is. I don't know that the high level player base that we talk to is growing, but I think we're the least significant group of players.

I also disagree that there's any point in trying to engage and prop up morale among the disaffected folks who continue to play the game out of habit, despite not enjoying it. I don't think that's actually possible at this point (these players have been disaffected and uninterested in the game for 10 years now, and are still here complaining), and I think the game would be better off (both financially and as a community) without them.

You keep saying these players are the least important group but then I have to ask who are continued 5* releases for? Who is Ascension for? Who is placement in Boss Battles for? None of these things are for players at the 3* tier particularly so why do they form major parts of the Devs strategy? These 5* players must have a certain amount of utility for the Devs to always be trying to keep their engagement.

All players need something to chase. We're advertising, basically.

Creating placement for bosses gives players a reason to try for placement in boss events. It creates a shiny new leaderboard that they could be on, rewards they could earn, if they just spent a bit more, or hoarded more, or whatever, to get that last character they need. It shows them who all those players are, and what their rosters look like -- and you, too, could have a roster like this!, if only you spent some cash.

• entrailbucket

Tracking this sort of thing is weird -- I knew a guy who used to do that because he was praying for the game to die (so he'd be proved right about all the "opportunities" he felt were being missed).

I imagine player counts ebb and flow to some extent though. I very much doubt that the game started with some huge number of active players and has steadily decreased to this point.

I'd also remind you that correlation is not causation. I'd be willing to bet this game hit its peak player count during the height of the MCU. Can you think of any reason (cough...Eternals...cough...The Marvels) that the general populace might have less interest in a Marvel game today?

No, I'm sure the problem is that players are angry about BCS's challenges , or a lack of ISO, or the fact that character X isn't able to oneshot every fight in the game.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

You keep saying these players are the least important group but then I have to ask who are continued 5* releases for? Who is Ascension for? Who is placement in Boss Battles for? None of these things are for players at the 3* tier particularly so why do they form major parts of the Devs strategy? These 5* players must have a certain amount of utility for the Devs to always be trying to keep their engagement.

Creating placement for bosses gives players a reason to try for placement in boss events. It creates a shiny new leaderboard that they could be on, rewards they could earn, if they just spent a bit more, or hoarded more, or whatever, to get that last character they need. It shows them who all those players are, and what their rosters look like -- and you, too, could have a roster like this!, if only you spent some cash.

So the 5* players do matter.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards

To me, it's all about communication. BCS came on like gang busters two years ago when they took over MPQ. Communication was everywhere. Now? They are just as bad at communication as the previous caretakers. Maybe worse.

I love this game. Really do. It is a great time waster while waiting for things (airplanes, meetings to start, etc). But I am a bit tired of being taking for granted and being told "ohhhh the new shiny engine will change everything" as a way to not make Quality of Life Changes that could really help the game.

Anyways, this "challenge" was a great example of failed communication.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards

Based on the past 24 hours we moved up about 2.2 million points. So it’s possible we just get over the line on tier 4, especially if they extend the deadline/cutoff slightly (not knowing the planned cutoff time, maybe that’s unnecessary).

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 8 August 2024, 14:09

I see that one of the rewards is a yellow cover for Domino who has no yellow powers. Typo I guess?

*edit - green here in the thread, it says yellow on the tracker page when you click through the link.

• DAZ0273

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I see that one of the rewards is a yellow cover for Domino who has no yellow powers. Typo I guess?

*edit - green here in the thread, it says yellow on the tracker page when you click through the link.

Unless...she is going to be the first 4 colour character (not counting the ones who do the swappy thing)?!?!?!?

I also forgot this thing was still going on which is sort of sad as I posted in this very thread just earlier. So sorry if I didn't wear any costumes or whatever.

• entrailbucket

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

If all the forum/reddit/discord/whatever players disappeared instantly, the top of the leaderboards would still be full of players whose rosters massively outranked any new player, and those folks would still have tons of players to chase.

• DAZ0273

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

If all the forum/reddit/discord/whatever players disappeared instantly, the top of the leaderboards would still be full of players whose rosters massively outranked any new player, and those folks would still have tons of players to chase.

I dunno what this means? Anyway, what I do know is that this one was a bit weird.

• entrailbucket

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

I dunno what this means? Anyway, what I do know is that this one was a bit weird.

They need players with some sort of tenure, and players with non-beginner rosters. Those players will always be at the top of the leaderboard, and will provide goals for new players to chase.

The mistake is assuming that they need US -- either individually or collectively. If we all left at once, other players would take our spots and provide the same amount of value.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 8 August 2024, 19:40

We are, of course, all replaceable....although I'm not sure how much the remaining whales spend (as a flat dollar amount nor as a % of overall spending, although it seems like I have heard it's a smaller % than in prior years), nor whether if they all left en masse any or enough whales would move in/pick up spending to cover what might be as an estimate 30-50% of overall spending.

A lot of current spending is imo "maintenance" spending out of habit; no one who has meta 550s really needs to keep spending any money, many have giant pools of resources they can't really spend without doing something like building triplicate or quadruplicate 550s of certain characters in an attempt to use it up. And with ascension and high level 4s and 5s the amount of return is very high. The spending is as much a habit for many big spenders as playing a PVE for a 4 you will basically never use outside requirements, certainly not in any timeframe measured in less than months or years, and hence will have zero effective impact on your game.

But it's basically irrelevant to consider since there's no way that the top players all quit en masse as long as the game is running. Maybe some trickle out and a few move up but the time requirement once you have meta 5s is very small for PVE (just requires a bit of scheduling) and PVP battles also go quickly generally speaking. So the time to play is rather easily fit into one's schedule as long as one considers it important or valuable or just has developed the deeply ingrained habits/addiction.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 808 Critical Contributor

We are, of course, all replaceable

I feel like you haven't read my post thoroughly

• DAZ0273

I was in fact replaced by Chatbot GPT in late 2023 and all of my content is now randomly generated which might not come as a huge shock.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,388 Chairperson of the Boards

@ThisisClemFandango said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

They need players with some sort of tenure, and players with non-beginner rosters. Those players will always be at the top of the leaderboard, and will provide goals for new players to chase.

The mistake is assuming that they need US -- either individually or collectively. If we all left at once, other players would take our spots and provide the same amount of value.

They would miss me.
    Not saying I'm better than either or both of you put together.
    They would miss me.

I take you have some sort of plan to ensure you would be remembered?

• DAZ0273

@rainkingucd said:

@ThisisClemFandango said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

They would miss me.
    Not saying I'm better than either or both of you put together.
    They would miss me.

I take you have some sort of plan to ensure you would be remembered?

Who could forget this?

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 808 Critical Contributor

You know the massive tiamut statue that no one seems to have noticed for at least 6 films? Now I'm not saying something like that, I'll let my fans decide.