Character Rebalance - Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme) 5*

Options

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

That’s correct lol. There’s never been caster-hiding happening on offense versus The Doc. He used to straight murder my IM40 in PVE when I throw down those recharge tiles despite Iron Man not tanking a thing. Thank the devs for ascension though- now Stark can take the hit.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

New Strange is a very sneaky blue/yellow AP generator now. It seems like I can fire off his blue every other turn.

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 958 Critical Contributor
    Options

@tiomono said:

@marvel075 said:
    one thing to note, this might be a bug but if a enemy fires a power THAT EMEMY takes the passive damage now, instead of just the target

I thought when you fire a power the character using the power jumps up front.

That's true when you fire a power, however, when the AI fires a power, the lineup of their team does not change.

• TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    edited 1 February 2024, 23:10
    Options

It looks like mThor does blow up the eye tile. I thought she did not blow up abyss tiles?

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 372 Mover and Shaker
    Options

She blows up abyss tiles too, she just prioritizes special tiles. So even if they might not count as "special" they're still able to be kerploded if there's no special tiles around.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,967 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@TheXMan said:
    It looks like mThor does blow up the eye tile. I thought she did not blow up abyss tiles?

If I remember correctly, m'Thor could accidentally blow up abyss tiles but didn't specifically target them -- she treated them like regular tiles. Can you tell if she's targeting the Eye thing? If they're consistent about her (and, well, who knows) she shouldn't specifically target "character tiles."

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@TheXMan said:

If I remember correctly, m'Thor could accidentally blow up abyss tiles but didn't specifically target them -- she treated them like regular tiles. Can you tell if she's targeting the Eye thing? If they're consistent about her (and, well, who knows) she shouldn't specifically target "character tiles."

When you have a character based on complete exploding chaos then you gotta expect her to chaos a bit.

• Dayraven
    Dayraven Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options

None of these characters exist in a vacuum

Well, the space characters do, sometimes….

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Dayraven said:

None of these characters exist in a vacuum

Well, the space characters do, sometimes….

Also if Ant Man shrank down he could probably go inside a vacuum hoover.

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,049 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Tiger_Wong said:
    New Strange is a very sneaky blue/yellow AP generator now. It seems like I can fire off his blue every other turn.

How do you get 3 blues per turn

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options

Anybody else notice that his yellow passive is hitting enemy in back sometimes instead of your targeted enemy?

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options

Just saw the earlier comments from people who saw this. Used to be that only the character in front would take the hit. Now it’s whoever fired the power.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Jinx said:
    Just saw the earlier comments from people who saw this. Used to be that only the character in front would take the hit. Now it’s whoever fired the power.

No. It was always the character who fired the power.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 2 February 2024, 21:01
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@Jinx said:

No. It was always the character who fired the power.

Not your own Strange. I used to leave Mindless Ones alive specifically because I could target someone else and down them quickly while the MOs would spam CDs. That strat is dead now.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah, enemy Strange.

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 389 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@slidecage said:

@Tiger_Wong said:

How do you get 3 blues per turn

When you match blue tiles you get blue AP.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 2 February 2024, 23:11
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@GrimSkald said:

@Daredevil217 said:
    Well Thor isn’t the original Thor. Before her there was Shang. And before him Okoye. And before her… other Thor.

Glass cannons that do tons of damage and accelerate self/others but are super easy to beat… based on the history of this game and the fan favorite stores, I’d say yeah, people probably want (and will likely get at some point) another “Thor”. A very very small minority will cry nerf and complain about new Thor a ton and it will be lovely. Until of course we get new new Thor where the cycle will again repeat itself.

One can argue that we've had S tier characters (which I would define as "usable even when not boosted if there's synergy with a boosted character or it's a bad week") as recently as Omega Red, which isn't that long ago. Out of the recent crop I'd say Goose and X-23 decidedly don't suck, though the latter is only really good offensively since she's tricky to use well.

"Usable when not boosted if there's synergy with a boosted character or it's a bad week" is pushing it, but I think it's ok. In that category you're looking at folks like Colossus, Omega Red, Apocalypse, maybe a few more. I don't think New Dr. Strange is at that level, but I don't think he's too terribly far behind, either.

Thor is "usable when not boosted at all times, regardless of synergy or circumstances or boost week." Chasm was the same way.

I think the tier Dr. Strange is currently in, post-buff, is a good target for character reworks. Folks complaining that he's weak, when compared to characters who are way too strong, aren't thinking about what the game would look like if every single character was S+ tier.

What the game would look like if everyone was S+ is well balanced. If everyone is at S+, then S+ is just average.

"And when everyone is super!.... no one will be. " - Syndrome

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,967 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@GrimSkald said:

@Daredevil217 said:
    Well Thor isn’t the original Thor. Before her there was Shang. And before him Okoye. And before her… other Thor.

Glass cannons that do tons of damage and accelerate self/others but are super easy to beat… based on the history of this game and the fan favorite stores, I’d say yeah, people probably want (and will likely get at some point) another “Thor”. A very very small minority will cry nerf and complain about new Thor a ton and it will be lovely. Until of course we get new new Thor where the cycle will again repeat itself.

One can argue that we've had S tier characters (which I would define as "usable even when not boosted if there's synergy with a boosted character or it's a bad week") as recently as Omega Red, which isn't that long ago. Out of the recent crop I'd say Goose and X-23 decidedly don't suck, though the latter is only really good offensively since she's tricky to use well.

"Usable when not boosted if there's synergy with a boosted character or it's a bad week" is pushing it, but I think it's ok. In that category you're looking at folks like Colossus, Omega Red, Apocalypse, maybe a few more. I don't think New Dr. Strange is at that level, but I don't think he's too terribly far behind, either.

Thor is "usable when not boosted at all times, regardless of synergy or circumstances or boost week." Chasm was the same way.

I think the tier Dr. Strange is currently in, post-buff, is a good target for character reworks. Folks complaining that he's weak, when compared to characters who are way too strong, aren't thinking about what the game would look like if every single character was S+ tier.

What the game would look like if everyone was S+ is well balanced. If everyone is at S+, then S+ is just average.

"And when everyone is super!.... no one will be. " - Syndrome

Exactly! To create balance, they could either redo every single character to make them S+ tier (removing whatever advantage you had from only leveling the strongest guys), or create the same effect by taking the handful of guys that are S+ tier and the handful of guys who are trash tier, and make them all A.

For whatever reason, folks here strongly prefer the first option, even though both are exactly the same. It's pretty funny. I have a feeling it's because they know the devs will never do the first option -- they actually want a game with a few good characters and a whole ton of useless ones.

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options

The best part of the rebalance is that he has around 60% more health. At level 450 he used to have only 35842 health. He was far too fragile.