MPQ Developer Q&A August 2023 (ANSWERS)

Options

Comments

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Tony_Foot said:
    Yeah I guess the kitty stats would need more context. If it included pve and how far back. I still would have to think half Thor would be the losses king if it included pve and was lifetime. Either way I didn't expect it to be Kitty.

The thing with thor though is that they asked which 5 star has lost the most matches, not been KO'ed individually the most. Even if your half health thor gets knocked out in a fight, chances are he's already fueled the character that your using him as a battery for enough to still win the match.

• StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    Options

Nice work on all the questions. Much appreciated.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

The thing with thor though is that they asked which 5 star has lost the most matches, not been KO'ed individually the most. Even if your half health thor gets knocked out in a fight, chances are he's already fueled the character that your using him as a battery for enough to still win the match.

There was a lot of us retreating 6 times per day or more with Thor everyday for such a long time! I still do 6 times every day :D

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Haven’t had a chance to read thru everything yet, but one thing I would like to ask and hopefully have it answered, since it’s mentioned that we’ll have a second rendition of the boss event this time that’s going to be like how it was last time but with some changes, any chance we can know what to expect for that before the boss hits tomorrow or we just gonna have to find that out on our own tomorrow?

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I may have misunderstood, but I read the answer as saying Kitty lost more often than anyone else, but her ratio of wins to losses is also better than anyone else’s. This would mean that she wins more often than anyone else as well. So she must be the most used 5* character.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,655 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I would strongly suspect she is or at least was the most used 5* across all levels of players. For many years she was the go to 5* to chase for new players because she had so many ready partners at lower tiers who create special tiles. I suspect possibly either Jane or Shang could catch up but of course who knows what we might get moving forward.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Kitty or Okoye were the most recommended starter 5 for the longest time for sure.

• Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Question 4: with the newest pricing plans from unity, this might not be a good decision…

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options

@DJ47057 said:
    Surprised that Kitty loses so much as I'm using her a lot for the small nodes.
    Would be interesting to more about that.
    I can imagine that her numbers on attacking in PVPs are better than having her in defence

She loses in aggregate, including both PVE and PVP (purely looking up losses). When we go to percentages of losses vs wins Strange starts pushing up the ratings, which makes sense because he's really popular for transition players who punch above their weight sometimes. This also disregards retreats, in which case Thor skyrockets because of HalfThor. I pulled the numbers from the last 24 months, for reference. 12 months is still Kitty, but Mighty Thor comes way up.

@Daredevil217 said:
    My question was ignored completely. I was curious if there were plans to buff 5* Daredevil or if I’d have to wait for Born Again on Disney+. Ah well. Wasn’t a huge deal.

Not on the near term list, but is someone that we'd like to get to at some point.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 371 Mover and Shaker
    Options

mthor was on the list as someone who loses a lot?

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,952 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DJ47057 said:

@Seph1roth5 said:
    mthor was on the list as someone who loses a lot?

I attacked MThor-Teams a lot in SIM. Better that messing with Immortals

I see her (unchampioned) paired with Polaris A LOT.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Chrynos1989 said:
    Question 4: with the newest pricing plans from unity, this might not be a good decision…

yes, i retracted that on these grounds a page or two ago. Discussing that is a very hot topic around the industry currently. While it is going to affect almost nobody actually monetarily based on the caps they've set who isn't doing Marvel Snap levels of business, and even then it'll be a Superman III sized micro-skim per download, it is such a huge feels-bad for everyone. What an absolutely botched rollout on their part.

• UnityGamer
    UnityGamer Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2023
    Options

@MPQBlaine said:
    13. @UnityGamer [Official Forums]
    Question: When you make more than five matches in a single move, you will hear an orchestral chime. What does that mean? Is it supposed to be bonus AP for all colors, damage/defense boost, bonus award when winning a match? Or is it just a leftover.

Answer: Mostly a holdover from the original Puzzle Quest. In that game, cascades of a certain number (5? I'd have to look it up) would cause a Heroic Effort, which gave bonus XP. Waaaaay back in the mists of pre-pro, Heroic Efforts in MPQ would give XP for the character that started the cascade. But that was also when XP was actually a thing, with collectible XP comics and such, which later became Iso-8 for leveling. The Heroic Effort chime just sort of stayed in.

I feared this answer coming after several users responded with something similar when I copy-pasted the question here, so it's kind of a shame. Perhaps it could be salvaged in some way as some characters rely on cascades for their powers, namely Big Wheel's Blue Power ability Wheelhouse. I made a post a couple months back about a 14th point to upgrade any ability to Level 6. One idea I could give is if Blue Wheel makes a "Heroic Effort," the Wheelhouse ability will trigger instantly, rotating the board and dealing damage like normal, but now with the added bonus of removing/unlocking locked tiles.

Other ideas could be possible:

• Gain 1 AP to all pieces that were not in the "Heroic Effort" sequence
    • "Heroic Effort" match deals critical hit damage, damage scaling is briefly reset
    • An event quest where enough "Heroic Effort" moves can yield rewards
    • Certain characters could make use of "Heroic Effort" as ability
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,923 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@IceIX said:

@Daredevil217 said:
    My question was ignored completely. I was curious if there were plans to buff 5* Daredevil or if I’d have to wait for Born Again on Disney+. Ah well. Wasn’t a huge deal.

Not on the near term list, but is someone that we'd like to get to at some point.

I’ll take it! Even if I have to wait for the show (or after) it’ll be nice to have him upgraded. I’m not planning to go anywhere, so when eventually happens, I’ll be ecstatic.

• BriMan2222
    Options

I asked if they were still on schedule for Chasm to be nerfed in the next 8 weeks or so and the answer was "yep"

Given that we're now over 9 weeks, I guess that means the chasm nerf should drop any minute now?

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:
    I asked if they were still on schedule for Chasm to be nerfed in the next 8 weeks or so and the answer was "yep"

Given that we're now over 9 weeks, I guess that means the chasm nerf should drop any minute now?

The Chasm nerf happened already. The boost list changing to the various Classes rendered him a moot point in most PvP matches and 5* High Evolutionary being released made the Immortal Bros and She-Hulk a straight up liability in pick 3. SHIELD Sim is laughably easy now.

• BriMan2222
    Options

@revskip said:

@BriMan2222 said:

The Chasm nerf happened already. The boost list changing to the various Classes rendered him a moot point in most PvP matches and 5* High Evolutionary being released made the Immortal Bros and She-Hulk a straight up liability in pick 3. SHIELD Sim is laughably easy now.

I guess that's why shield sim is still wall to wall chasm and i still see people not using their 672 boosted 550 five stars in favor of a much lower level chasm, because he's so easy to beat now.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,952 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@revskip said:

@BriMan2222 said:

I guess that's why shield sim is still wall to wall chasm and i still see people not using their 672 boosted 550 five stars in favor of a much lower level chasm, because he's so easy to beat now.

Yeah, I'm still seeing tons and tons of Chasm in PvP, even (especially?) with the Class Of boost lists.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 574 Critical Contributor
    Options

I know this is geting off topic, but how does HEvo stop the revive bros?