MPQ Developer Q&A August 2023 (QUESTIONS)

Options

Comments

• UnityGamer
    UnityGamer Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options

When you make more than five matches in a single move, you will hear an orchestral chime. What does that mean? Is it supposed to be bonus AP for all colors, damage/defense boost, bonus award when winning a match? Or is it just a leftover.

• HuracanDolor
    HuracanDolor Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options

Can we get a proper 5* Dr. Strange??? His skill set is beyond weak for a character of his magnitude.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Would it be possible to just batch update all the old 5* to have modern health and match damage? There are so many 5* that need fixing, it takes a long time to redo their power sets, and match damage/health updates get them halfway there.

I think this has the highest number of likes. Hope the devs are taking notice. Also hope you posted this in the google forms.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,164 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:

@entrailbucket said:
    Would it be possible to just batch update all the old 5* to have modern health and match damage? There are so many 5* that need fixing, it takes a long time to redo their power sets, and match damage/health updates get them halfway there.

I think this has the highest number of likes. Hope the devs are taking notice. Also hope you posted this in the google forms.

I did!

Reminder to everyone else: post your questions on the Google form, not just in this thread. I kept wondering why they were avoiding my questions -- they (probably) weren't -- but I only posted them here so they probably never saw them.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,102 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@UnityGamer said:
    When you make more than five matches in a single move, you will hear an orchestral chime. What does that mean? Is it supposed to be bonus AP for all colors, damage/defense boost, bonus award when winning a match? Or is it just a leftover.

I've been playing this game for 10 years and never knew this happened.... I've also been playing without sound for 10 years.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@UnityGamer said:

I recalled years ago the Devs mentioned that when there are multiple matches in a turn (e.g., Cascade), at some point the matches deal low-to-no damage. Maybe that sound is to let you know that.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,202 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Random question: what is the significance of 43% on the load screen?

• UnityGamer
    UnityGamer Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:
    I recalled years ago the Devs mentioned that when there are multiple matches in a turn (e.g., Cascade), at some point the matches deal low-to-no damage. Maybe that sound is to let you know that.

If this is true, I think that should change. Cascade matches are perhaps important in Puzzle Gauntlet where the missions are a little more different than simply depleting the HP of their opponent. A bonus 1 AP in all colors would be the way to go when damage output has been maxed out. Some characters like Big Wheel and Shang Chi have a point-building system where cascades can be beneficial to their game. On the other hand, opponent team-ups like Beta Ray Bill-Polaris-Thor (Jane Foster variant) can wreck havoc on the board with cascades should specific conditions be met. As a matter of fact, I plan to address this in a separate post soon.

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 281 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Waddles_Pines said:

+1 This haha! It was also asked in Q&A months ago, they actually responded and said they would look into it. I asked last month (I think) ‘so what happens at 43%?’ But it got ignored.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,164 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Zarqa said:

@Waddles_Pines said:

+1 This haha! It was also asked in Q&A months ago, they actually responded and said they would look into it. I asked last month (I think) ‘so what happens at 43%?’ But it got ignored.

So, this is a little software development secret...loading bars are fake. Google it, you'll be appalled.

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    So, this is a little software development secret...loading bars are fake. Google it, you'll be appalled.

I have worked with three different versions of a progress bar.
    1. Runs as a separate process that completes in a set time. These tend to get to 100% and then sit there.
    2. As 1. But remembers how long it took last time so is generally more accurate.
    3. Increments as each constituent process completes. So if there are 20 processes it goes up by 5% each time. However, this doesn’t take into account the difference between the time each process takes to complete, so gets stuck on the large ones and shows that percentage for a while, 43% for example.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 706 Critical Contributor
    Options

Super easy question, why has communication ceased?

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,052 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023
    Options

@UnityGamer said:

This has been around since day 1 or at least day 1 when I started playing which was roughly at the 1 year anniversary.

I suspect this is left over from the original Puzzle Quest. MPQ was licensed from Infinite Interactive and I bet they just took the original code base from them since it was known to be working. In the original Puzzle Quest that chime would signal the creation of a wildcard (crit tile) along with the game saying 'that was a heroic effort'.

KGB

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Are other statistics taken into account, such as how often an active power is used, when rebalancing a character?

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,744 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Which 5* has lost the most matches and by how much more has Thor lost. Buff Thor ;)

• Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Also side question: where did they post July’s Answers to the Questions we asked?

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,102 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Pwuz_ said:
    Also side question: where did they post July’s Answers to the Questions we asked?

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/88939/mpq-developer-q-a-july-2023-answers/p1

• the_tick
    the_tick Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options

Has the team ever discussed adding a new time slot to make it a total of 6 basically a new one starting ever 4 hours? It's a little selfish on my part but all times (EST) 7am I'm driving to work 12pm yea I'm at lunch but I don't have 2 hours to spare when that day's particular event is about to end and the next one starts. 5pm (I'm driving home) 11pm and 2am I'm in bed.

This discussion has been closed.