Class of 2014!

Options

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,485 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Wow, Seeing the rosters will be fascinating.

A bit of history here.
    the transition was Sentry/hood i.e. 3* meta pairs to XFW(ver2)/Thoress 4* meta pairs. Important to remember that Thoress debuted during nov/anniversary celebration. So alot of people had champed thoresses to kickstart the 4* era.

This was also the debut of charged tiles and thoress was also the main driver. (don't forget the original debut created more charged tiles, so you didn't need partners to synergize) (At that time, you were chasing to fire blue, then red to self synergize)

Not having access to hood or XFW takes away some of the classic combos. But I'm more worried about the 2015 event. You going to see an insane class of 4* including HB and teen jean. That is great! But if Silver surfer is included in 2014, then you have will ruin the diversity of play for that event. Obviously, 2016 and on will be defined by the 5* era and transitions won't be as jarring.

Many of you all remember the season trial nodes.
    WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN 3 (4) fight 1 (5).

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

Am i misremembering the timing here? Is IMHB 2014 or 2015? I thought the transition from a 3* meta to a 4* meta happened in November 2014 (when 4* thor released with the 20-person lightning rounds). That was around the time that sentry bombing was nerfed and xdw was reworked to actually be good. So we had a brief 4* reign of thorverine.

Then demi nerfed both of them into the ground and we had a brief 3* interregnum with some of the good late 3s (Cyclops, Luke cage, IF, KK). Then IMHB released and we moved to regular 4 releases after age of ultron came out. And very quickly the meta was imhb/if and then imhb/jg and 3*s in the meta were a thing of the past.

That must have been spring 2015, which would make sense as 5*s debuted in September 2015.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,485 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Vhailorx said:
    Am i misremwmbwring the timing here? Is IMHB 2014 or 2015? I thought the transition from a 3* meta to a 4* meta happened in November 2014 (when 4* thor released with the 20-person lightning rounds). That was around the time that sentry bombing was nerfed and xdw was reworked to actually be good. So we had a brief 4* reign of thorverine.

Then demi nerfed both of them into the ground and we had a brief 3* interregnum with some of the good late 3s (Cyclops, Luke cage, IF, KK). Then IMHB released and we moved to regular 4 releases after age of ultron came out. And very quickly the meta was imhb/if and then imhb/jg and 3*s in the meta were a thing of the past.

That must have been spring 2015, which would make sense as 5*s debuted in September 2015.

Thats what I mean. I'm not quite sure about their nomenclature. But if SS debut in the event after 2014, It will obscure alot of interesting meta play. We will miss alot of interesting 3/4 combos simply because Silver Surfer debuted in the last possible window for 2015. Once SS debuts, the usable 4* window will be long shut until Queen Polaris debuts

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Phumade said:

@Vhailorx said:
    Am i misremwmbwring the timing here? Is IMHB 2014 or 2015? I thought the transition from a 3* meta to a 4* meta happened in November 2014 (when 4* thor released with the 20-person lightning rounds). That was around the time that sentry bombing was nerfed and xdw was reworked to actually be good. So we had a brief 4* reign of thorverine.

Thats what I mean. I'm not quite sure about their nomenclature. But if SS debut in the event after 2014, It will obscure alot of interesting meta play. We will miss alot of interesting 3/4 combos simply because Silver Surfer debuted in the last possible window for 2015. Once SS debuts, the usable 4* window will be long shut until Queen Polaris debuts

If the boost is high enough some 4s like Carol can produce viable damage output, at least until the shutdown 5 passives arrive.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@Phumade said:

@Vhailorx said:

If the boost is high enough some 4s like Carol can produce viable damage output, at least until the shutdown 5 passives arrive.

I'm hoping for the return of 4* Carol, Blade and Wasp

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

Clas of 2015 should include OML and Phoenix in addition to Surfer, so that's that.

It remains to be seen what kind of boost the 5*s will have. If it's the modern +100, I don't see any 4*s having a place. Maybe instead of OML.

BTW, Carol was in 2017, where there will already be Thor, Gambit, DD... Also, Vulture and Archangel that same year. :)

• Wolvie171
    Wolvie171 Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Phumade said:
    Wow, Seeing the rosters will be fascinating.

A bit of history here.
    the transition was Sentry/hood i.e. 3* meta pairs to XFW(ver2)/Thoress 4* meta pairs. Important to remember that Thoress debuted during nov/anniversary celebration. So alot of people had champed thoresses to kickstart the 4* era.

This was also the debut of charged tiles and thoress was also the main driver. (don't forget the original debut created more charged tiles, so you didn't need partners to synergize) (At that time, you were chasing to fire blue, then red to self synergize)

Not having access to hood or XFW takes away some of the classic combos. But I'm more worried about the 2015 event. You going to see an insane class of 4* including HB and teen jean. That is great! But if Silver surfer is included in 2014, then you have will ruin the diversity of play for that event. Obviously, 2016 and on will be defined by the 5* era and transitions won't be as jarring.

Many of you all remember the season trial nodes.
    WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN 3 (4) fight 1 (5).

GThor was the new release character over the Thanksgiving weekend. I distinctly recall everyone in my alliance taking time out of their lives to grind the nodes. Keep in mind, this was still the era of 3-hour refreshes. Not the 24-hour refreshes PVE players are spoiled with today. The things we did for meta characters lol. We were all zombies pushing hard to earn her covers!

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,140 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    TONS of people shielded! Why? What were they thinking?

I was thinking "Hey, I'm in the #1 position with a few hours to go!" and not realizing that there were no rewards for placement. :#

I promise, I won't be shielding for the future "Class of" events.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

If you would had told me there will be a PvP event where Nick Fury and Elektra are the best characters to choose I wouldn't believe you

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The people shielding are no idiots. The idiot way of communicating, and even more, having the option to buy shields when they aren't needed, are the real culprits.

I tried to do a battle and it never ended. So that's not really my cup of tea.
    I will pass until the 5*s appear, or if I happen to have a huge amount of time for to play.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,806 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This PvP sucks donkey balls. I had idealistic plans of 8 battles per day to 50 like I did with 2013 but I am already bored of fighting the exact same team and am not doing so for another 34 times. You can keep the CP, game.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

Yep. It's a great idea but it just isn't fun.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,223 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    This PvP sucks donkey balls. I had idealistic plans of 8 battles per day to 50 like I did with 2013 but I am already bored of fighting the exact same team and am not doing so for another 34 times. You can keep the CP, game.

I thought I'd do 8 to get the milestone reward. I'm on 4 and struggling. I know I can skip but that's not my thing...

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,046 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Scofie said:

@DAZ0273 said:

I thought I'd do 8 to get the milestone reward. I'm on 4 and struggling. I know I can skip but that's not my thing...

There is very little reason to skip because you just get a steady diet of Thor/Electra/Fury with the occasional Devil Dino swapped in for 1 of them.

Just do a couple wins a day so you reach 8 and don't need a health pack.

2013 had a lot of variety but 2014 unfortunately does not. Hoping going forward with more 4/5 releases per year that there is some team variety in 2015 and beyond.

KGB

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This entire "celebration" is a huge letdown. Boosted 5* are the only thing making this game playable at this point. Removing them has just exposed how utterly dire the entire metagame is.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    This entire "celebration" is a huge letdown. Boosted 5* are the only thing making this game playable at this point. Removing them has just exposed how utterly dire the entire metagame is.

It's a combination of being so used to 5* match damage, and passives, AND everyone running 479s.
    Back in 2014 those chars were stuck at 270, and we had X-Force to murder stuff with.
    Restricting it to ONLY 2014 really sucks.
    That said, I'm at 50 wins, cause I'm not turning down free rewards.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,223 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

I think the lack of boosted 5*s is a pain, for sure. I like the retro feel of using only characters from that year and I like the idea of a week for each of the years. This week might be a blip. We'll get boosted 5s back soon and some of them will have been reworked, then it'll be fun again. I'm going to judge in October when it's finished.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,740 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

Not for me, this one event is poor out of 10. So what, it’s free rewards and increased over your normal economy. I haven’t enjoyed this one but did the last one. But I’m capable of making a decision to not play it past a certain goal.

This is a fantastic event. I’d welcome more locked out events going forwards.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The "class of" events would be ok if they were standalone extras. Applying their boost list to every other event running during this time is an awful decision that makes those events borderline unplayable.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    The "class of" events would be ok if they were standalone extras. Applying their boost list to every other event running during this time is an awful decision that makes those events borderline unplayable.

That one is true, yes.