Is the current LT pool worth champing?

Options
Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

Do High Ev, Gwen, Jeffrey have uses for a baby champ roster?

Comments

• Vhailorx
    edited July 2023
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    Everyone is worth champing.

Only in a vacuum. In the real world, where cp is not infinite and champing this set might prevent me from getting venomsaurus and the next 5*s, sometimes some things have to give.

I haven't played much in the last month or so and want to know what people think about HEvo, Jeff, and venom now that they have been around a bit longer.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,164 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yes. Everyone is worth champing.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I like Hevo the most even though I can't really remember what he does. Not played too much with Gwenom. Jeff is a bit meh. Not hoping for much with V-Rex either but will see when I use him.

• IrisRyu
    IrisRyu Posts: 168 Tile Toppler
    Options

If I were in baby champ territory, I, personally, would only focus on HEvo. His friendly stat boost really benefits lower leveled allies and with the right yellow battery, there’s no ceiling on his boosts. Jeff and Gwenom are both fine, even good in the right scenarios, but their abilities are so niche that you won’t be missing out on too much if they drop out of latest without being fully covered.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,503 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you are hesitent then just wait for Jeff to rotate out. He is decent, but niche in use.
    Many others are saying Evo is much better than we all thought.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,744 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Impossible to say without knowing how you play and your resource economy. Which is why I’d say champ them all too.

• Vhailorx
    Options

@Tony_Foot said:
    Impossible to say without knowing how you play and your resource economy. Which is why I’d say champ them all too.

A fair point. The issue is that how I pmat has recently changed (I have played less in the past two months than anytime in the past 18 months). I have been playing enough to keep pace with the release schedule since ~Shang Chi. I have a decent hoard of cp stored up and can likely champ the three current. But i don't know whe /if those cp will be replaced.

I don't want to miss anyone of, say, heimdall level or above, but if the current three are all very meh, I may just sit on my hoard until a more compelling 5* comes along.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,503 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I would say evo is probably not meh. He is a health pack saver and and does some interesting things.

Jeff is niche but not meh. He does have very little use in his tier though. But that could change later, and he can shut down a special tile engine pretty well.
    Still I’ve never found a reason to use him.

Gwenom is really not meh. Partnered with a booster her red is going to decimate teams.

If you need to skip one them let it be Jeff. Still it’d be better to not skip

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If Heimdall is your low bar, yes, champ everyone.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Regardless of characters, I guess if you're not playing too much for a little while, it's unlikely you'll champ the ones after either.

But you might play more, and so you'd have lost the ability to champ existing LL but have a hoard built for future unknown characters.

At the risk of being boring, why not write down some scenarios with different variables about pulling or not, how long the play reduction might last, quality of future releases etc and then work out which is your preferred tree based on the end results?

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    If Heimdall is your low bar, yes, champ everyone.

Heimdall is only better than the absolute dregs, and they haven't released anybody as bad as him in a VERY long time. I agree -- if that's his low bar he'll never skip anybody.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,330 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The good news is that they all have feeders too, so you don't have to go "all in" to get them over the line.

I haven't used Jeff (champed) outside of required nodes yet.
    Can't say on Gwenom as she is not champed and without a webtile generator in the current boost list, she's not great at 7 covers

Hevo I've used surprisingly quite a bit. I've been Chasm/Hulk hunting with Hevo/Electro/Deathlok, and I'm enjoying seeing his stats just keep going up and up in match.

Aside from the standard "champ em all", I would say definitely go for Hevo. Maybe wait for Jeff to leave and build up Venomsaurus (unfed as of now)

• entrailbucket
    Options

The forum missed on High Evolutionary (this includes me -- I thought he was terrible!). It's not a huge surprise because the wording of his powers is really complicated, and his black power in particular works a bit differently than written.

He's not as good as the "meta" characters but he's pretty good.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I actually got him champed already but haven't really had much chance to use him. However what with tomorrow starting a terrible boost week for me I am going to take him for a spin.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,330 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    The forum missed on High Evolutionary (this includes me -- I thought he was terrible!). It's not a huge surprise because the wording of his powers is really complicated, and his black power in particular works a bit differently than written.

He's not as good as the "meta" characters but he's pretty good.

3/5/5 or 5/5/3?

• entrailbucket
    Options

I run 355. His blue active is worth casting if you don't have anything else to do with blue, but his black is a one-shot kill a lot of the time.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@dianetics said:
    I would say evo is probably not meh. He is a health pack saver and and does some interesting things.

Jeff is niche but not meh. He does have very little use in his tier though. But that could change later, and he can shut down a special tile engine pretty well.
    Still I’ve never found a reason to use him.

Gwenom is really not meh. Partnered with a booster her red is going to decimate teams.

If you need to skip one them let it be Jeff. Still it’d be better to not skip

I'm seeing a problem with Gwen's red and black - she's not very good at generating her own web tiles. She needs to tank and/or spend purple to get any at all, and even at her best she's only generating a handful -- what's more special tile generators shut down her purple extremely effectively.
    Unfortunately other than Chasm, who is an extremely bad partner for anyone who uses AP for their powers, there are no good web tile generators in the 5* tier. So I think while her red and black look decent on paper, in practice they're going to be not that effective unless you have both a good web tile generator and a booster, which is a pretty tall ask...

• Vhailorx
    Options

@Scofie said:
    Regardless of characters, I guess if you're not playing too much for a little while, it's unlikely you'll champ the ones after either.

But you might play more, and so you'd have lost the ability to champ existing LL but have a hoard built for future unknown characters.

At the risk of being boring, why not write down some scenarios with different variables about pulling or not, how long the play reduction might last, quality of future releases etc and then work out which is your preferred tree based on the end results?

That's what I'm doing! But "current LT pool value" is an unsolved variable in my decision tree. I am trying to remedy that information gap with this thread. . .

• Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Depends on how patient you are willing to be. If you are considering dumping an insane amount of CP on this trio... I wouldn't. HEvo is a good third char to have on any team. Jeff is niche, has it's uses against tile spammer teams (even Chasm) but doesn't go beyond that. Gwenom, for me at least, is a dud. But as the latest to go into Legends, she isn't leaving before the better ones, so I guess you are stuck with her.

If you are talking about making the jump from 4 do 5* land with only these 3 5s... I don't think it's a good investment. You should think about a team that builds synergy among each other or start by combining 5s with 4*s you already have.

There have been instances where the Latest Legend store has only 3 good characters. The latest time was Kamala Khan, Jane Foster and Chasm. It doesn't happen very often though, so you would have to play a really long game.