Year of the Rabbit Vault

Comments

• Jafo69
    Jafo69 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In

@Waddles_Pines said:
    If the mods want to remove my comment as being OT, that's cool. But, this is my annual pet peeve.

Yet again another Chinese/Lunar New Year vault and the featured chars are all who wouldn't celebrate.

I know there aren't that many Asian characters in the game, but the vault could have included:

5* Shang, Wong
    4* Jubilation, Cho, Silk, Melinda May

Stretch: Sersi, Mantis (aliens and such), Quake (tv or comics)

I may have missed someone, but that's about it, and none of them are in the vault. Every year it's the same. Why would I expect any difference this year 🤦‍♂️

@IceIX @DevpoolMPQ_BCS

Waddles you are spot on with this! IDK who at D3, Marvel, or both dropped the ball on this, but it seems like a HUGE miss. I mean, it's bad enough that they JUST DROPPED Wong and he's not represented in the vault, especially considering he's highlighted over on the Marvel website (https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/wong-year-of-the-rabbit-lunar-new-year-character-spotlight), but the other snubs like Shang Chi, Amadeus Cho, and Melinda May is mind-boggling. Super poor planning and coordination on their part. :(

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards

@Helinutz said:
    Oh, dont get me wrong, I have enough (just) for 4 lots of the vault, but if they swap out Okeyo, or any of the 5 stars for Shang Chi, I will be less than pleased to put it mildly :wink:

This question was asked on Reddit and Devpool said this is the only Vault. Pull without worry.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards

@Jafo69 said:

@Waddles_Pines said:
    If the mods want to remove my comment as being OT, that's cool. But, this is my annual pet peeve.

Yet again another Chinese/Lunar New Year vault and the featured chars are all who wouldn't celebrate.

I know there aren't that many Asian characters in the game, but the vault could have included:

5* Shang, Wong
    4* Jubilation, Cho, Silk, Melinda May

Stretch: Sersi, Mantis (aliens and such), Quake (tv or comics)

I may have missed someone, but that's about it, and none of them are in the vault. Every year it's the same. Why would I expect any difference this year 🤦‍♂️

@IceIX @DevpoolMPQ_BCS

Waddles you are spot on with this! IDK who at D3, Marvel, or both dropped the ball on this, but it seems like a HUGE miss. I mean, it's bad enough that they JUST DROPPED Wong and he's not represented in the vault, especially considering he's highlighted over on the Marvel website (https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/wong-year-of-the-rabbit-lunar-new-year-character-spotlight), but the other snubs like Shang Chi, Amadeus Cho, and Melinda May is mind-boggling. Super poor planning and coordination on their part. :(

It's not like I messaged them after the fact in prior years, and this year messaged them early... Oh wait, I did 🤦‍♂️🤣, but que sera. After that *+$)& in Cali yesterday, this is beyond trivial....

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2023

My suspicion is they just simply don't have enough 5* characters to fill in the vault. Shang Chi was just featured during anniversary and Wong would be too soon. With the announcement of Colleen Wing that's one more character of Chinese descent that we can expect to see in next year's vault (coincidentally next year will aptly be the year of the Dragon so they can put Misty Knight in too).

But we desperately need more in the 5* category. Perhaps a certain villian with a propensity for finger jewelry?

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bzhai said:
    My suspicion is they just simply don't have enough 5* characters to fill in the vault. Shang Chi was just featured during anniversary and Wong would be too soon. With the announcement of Colleen Wing that's one more character of Chinese descent that we can expect to see in next year's vault (coincidentally next year will aptly be the year of the Dragon).

But we desperately need more in the 5* category. Perhaps a certain villian with a propensity for finger jewelry?

Okoye was just featured in the various Winter vaults.

• NMANOZ1
    NMANOZ1 Posts: 107 Tile Toppler

My least covered are Mister Sinister (6 covers), Yellowjacket (6) and Sersi (5).

I wish they put them in some of these vaults or targeted LTs.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bzhai said:
    My suspicion is they just simply don't have enough 5* characters to fill in the vault. Shang Chi was just featured during anniversary and Wong would be too soon. With the announcement of Colleen Wing that's one more character of Chinese descent that we can expect to see in next year's vault (coincidentally next year will aptly be the year of the Dragon so they can put Misty Knight in too).

There's Cho, Melinda, Jubilation, Silk, and Quake that could have been put in as the 4* in the vault. No reason to have none of them in the vault.

If they were going to do Mandarin, they'd probably go the Tony Leung bracelet route. The OG Mandarin is just a bit racist 🤷‍♂️

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,613 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bzhai said:

Colleen Wing is of Japanese descent, I think? Her father is American and her mother is Japanese (Hand assassin) and her signature weapon is a Katana.

I would very much like to see The Cat (Shen Kuei) introduced and specifically be a counter to Shang Chi.

• DAZ0273

@Waddles_Pines said:

@Bzhai said:

If they were going to do Mandarin, they'd probably go the Tony Leung bracelet route. The OG Mandarin is just a bit racist 🤷‍♂️

Likewise Radioactive Man.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker

@DAZ0273 said:
    Colleen Wing is of Japanese descent, I think? Her father is American and her mother is Japanese (Hand assassin) and her signature weapon is a Katana.

Did a quick wiki on her and it says her father is an American named Lee Wing. His name and picture is pretty ambigious and at best we can guess that maybe he is part Chinese.

Anyway just highlights how difficult it is to find in-universe characters that are obviously Chinese without it feeling forced, that's why I suggested that next year they go with the dragon theme instead. It's definitely easier to find characters that match that association (as well as the previously listed characters) instead of some rando with red powers.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards

This is from her character bio on her forum release page:

Daughter of a Chinese Asian Studies professor and a Japanese high ranking member of The Hand, Colleen has always been between two worlds.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/88045/new-character-colleen-wing-heroes-for-hire/p1

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 645 Critical Contributor

@DAZ0273 said:

@Waddles_Pines said:

@Bzhai said:

Likewise Radioactive Man.

JIMINY JILLIKERS!

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,891 Chairperson of the Boards

I think the problem is that these vaults are mostly designed to get spenders to spend money, and a vault that had, like, Shang-Chi + the few Asian 4* (who are mostly old and not so good) would be unlikely to generate as much spending. They did at least stick to a "red costumes" concept, which is something.

• DAZ0273

@Bzhai said:

@DAZ0273 said:

Did a quick wiki on her and it says her father is an American named Lee Wing. His name and picture is pretty ambigious and at best we can guess that maybe he is part Chinese.

Anyway just highlights how difficult it is to find in-universe characters that are obviously Chinese without it feeling forced, that's why I suggested that next year they go with the dragon theme instead. It's definitely easier to find characters that match that association (as well as the previously listed characters) instead of some rando with red powers.

Ah fair enough.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor

Really good deal here, no reason to pass on it if you have the HP to spare...

…Because they felt like extra, freebies I decided to use the LLs (I’m one cover shy on arcade). Then, after not getting a single 5*, I figured one should pop up anytime and kept going with the idea of stopping when I got a 5, fingers crossed I'd finish arcade then wait for Wong...

34 pulls in, I gave up. It's just too depressing. Not complaining, just venting.

Anyway, the vault is a really good deal though.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 979 Critical Contributor

I can't believe it took me this long to notice that there are both Okoye shards and a full cover in there. I cleared it out.

• DAZ0273

I spent 15k (plus a little bit more in daily singles) and brought my Okoye up a fairly decent bit. I am leaving it there though.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,928 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

@DAZ0273 said:
    I spent 15k (plus a little bit more in daily singles) and brought my Okoye up a fairly decent bit. I am leaving it there though.

What's a decent bit and how many more levels after you've champed her do you notice a real difference (460, 470, 480?) in champ level power?

I've cleared it twice so far and have 100K HP to spend. I've got her covered along with 15 more covers worth (including shards) saved so she could get to 465 (when I inevitably move to 5* land in a few months when my top 4* reach 370). Is that enough to make a difference over 450 or should I clear a few more times and get her to 470? Trying to set myself up as best as possible for baby 5* land. As an FYI, none of my other 5*s would be higher than 460-465 range.

KGB

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

You'll be using her for PVE, and there you want her at 480+
    You're not going to run her in PVP.