Slot price

Options
Lord_Mephisto
Lord_Mephisto Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
Hi all! Today I’ve recruited Puck, my 301st character, but got surprised when noticed that the additional slot cost me 2k HP, instead of 1k. Was this really supposed to happen?
Tagged:

Comments

• Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,656 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Welcome to the end game: all slots above 300 do indeed cost 2K.
    Been like that since the beginning and every few months someone complains about it, but nothing changes.
    If they ever do another roster sale, buy as many as you can then... been a few years since the last one though, so don't hold your breath.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I heard it was actually 3000 after a certain number of slots. Some whales complained and they capped it at 2000.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,656 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I heard it was actually 3000 after a certain number of slots. Some whales complained and they capped it at 2000.

That does ring a bell, but never met anyone who had 300+ slots that early in the game.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    They can't make that change because people will literally only complain that they paid 2k HP pre-change. They will want to be reimbursed because "it isn't fair".

D3 isn't going to go out of their way to make a change that 1) causes backlash and 2) can lead to them paying out millions of HP, hurting their bottom line far more than the reduced slot cost. 
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2022
    Options
    HP is the dev's main source of income. They have said before that anything that involves touching HP requires approval from bean counters.

Not to give specific numbers, but as others have stated in the thread, Roster Slots are a majority of Hero Points spent on anything across the game on a regular basis. It would be a very difficult (but not impossible) sell to the bean counter types to modify that amount without pretty concrete evidence that it would help our revenue.
    They need to prove that reducing roster slot cost from 2k to 1k will help their revenue. Touch your heart and you know that doing that doesn't help.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,066 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is 2K per slot really that taxing? I hit 300 slots early last year (321 slots now) and my HP stash is currently at 77K and counting (with thousands of unopened tokens that could cycle my 2 and 3* farm for more HP).

I buy 1 shield (typically 24 hr) per PvP and the occasional offer for 3K or 7K when it has a bunch of 4* covers I want but otherwise my only expense is slots. Where else are players spending their HP on that makes roster slot cost an issue?

KGB
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 727 Critical Contributor
    Options
    KGB said:
    Is 2K per slot really that taxing? 

Where else are players spending their HP on that makes roster slot cost an issue?

KGB
    I always wonder the same thing when these grumble threads come up - if you're at +300 slots you're surely at the point of having a 2, 3 & 4* farm which should easily make you HP positive with all the champ rewards plus playing at SCL 9 or 10. 

As a F2P I've stuck with this game as the resources have always been provided through playtime and not required any $ investment.  I've long been at the point of being post ISO & HP.  

Same HP spend as KGB - buy daily deals, 1 or 2 PVP shields/event and the odd vault when I've built up an HP stash.  Never have an issue having 2k for a new character or rostering dupe 4*s.  Would it be nice if it was 1k, sure!
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    Is 2K per slot really that taxing? I hit 300 slots early last year (321 slots now) and my HP stash is currently at 77K and counting (with thousands of unopened tokens that could cycle my 2 and 3* farm for more HP).

I buy 1 shield (typically 24 hr) per PvP and the occasional offer for 3K or 7K when it has a bunch of 4* covers I want but otherwise my only expense is slots. Where else are players spending their HP on that makes roster slot cost an issue?

KGB
    Yeah, I'm at 335 slots and 74k hp. I spend hp on rostering 4* dupes and new characters, pvp shields and I'll spend hp on vaults that have 5* shards in them if I need the shards. I just recently bought out that Dr. Strange vault to finish him off plus it had those Switch shards in it that I couldn't pass on. Other than that I don't think that I spend my hp on anything else. With farming it's not really too difficult to raise hp.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I’ll tell you where the HP goes.  Competitive players have 3* and 4* dupes, so that takes a lot of HP.  Plus, they spend way more than 300 HP on shields; it’s more like 500 to 1000 HP on shields per PVP.  In addition to that, they spend HP on 5* “heroic” stores, grabbing 5* covers.  They also spend HP on vaults.  Sometimes they’ll spend HP on the daily 5* shard deals.  They may also be buying boosts as well with HP.  AND they also like to have a large stockpile of HP when a good opportunity comes along.  

So no matter how much HP you gain, there are many ways to spend it and you never have enough.  There are players buying Starks every week, for example.  
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2022
    Options
    KGB said:

KGB
    Same. And I spend HP on 3-4 shields per event, not just one.
    Current HP hoard is just over 80,000.
    Also 100% FTP, here, and fully-on farming dupes and buying Rainbow AP boosts about 5 times each week.

Really, the only reason I even play PVP is to "convert" my excess HP into the sweet sweet 28 CP each event. 5* shards and 4* covers are just icing on the cake.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm sitting on 296 slots today, so I feel your pain. Curious to know if I will be able to keep pace at double the cost for roster slots.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don’t have that problem because I DON’T WASTE HP with useless farming that everyone thinks is necessary to play the game effectively.  If you choose to be a collectionist and do so because you believe he who dies with the most toys wins is the object of the game, then you deserve the higher roster costs. I never tracked it but it seems I get at least 200 HP on average every day so 5 days buys me a slot for a character release that only occurs every 14 days . Even at 2K cost I could still tread water and remain in the black . 
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Definitely a problem for non-whales.  Not to mention a couple years ago when they vastly decreased all hp/cp/iso/red iso rewards.  I mean, seriously 10 HP ****?
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    The typical ultimate goals of playing games are to relax your mind, have fun or kill time.

While farming and whatever optimal strategies are smart for progressing in MPQ quickly, players who force themselves to play optimally when they can't do so or don't want to do so end up being unhappy. There are some players who drag themselves to play MPQ (optimally) and ended up being miserable. On the other hand, there are players who are happy with just playing DDQ and a few other matches here and there for years despite slow progress. When players expect themselves to fulfill goals achieved by others, which is typically goals of top players or long time full progression veterans, they become unhappy and miserable. 

Playing MPQ is a marathon. Along the way, you gain experiences that shape how you approach the game. Ultimately, if you are happy playing MPQ the way you play it, I think it's fine. I think it's better than forcing yourself to play the game in a way that makes you less happy.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree @HoundofShadow, we should be free to play the game however we like, but we shouldn’t be jerks to others in the game or criticize people that play differently than you.  If someone doesn’t want to play “optimally” that’s fine, but they shouldn’t complain or be jealous when others progress faster than them.  

It’s human nature to think that everyone who doesn’t live the way you do is doing it wrong and needs correction.  Everything we do makes sense to us, so we think that anything different is wrong.  But, of course, everyone cannot be right.  Some things in life aren’t defined by right and wrong, just personal preference, and this game is one of those things.  

I’m sure there’s people that think my way of playing is dumb: being hardcore, burning out & quitting for a long time, then coming back only to start over and do it all again.  This is unintentionally my way of playing, but it’s how I enjoy the game.  For me, it’s the journey, not the destination.  When I run out of new experiences here, I’m done.  
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I think that's the beauty of human nature. Each side of humans creates a certain emotions and new experience in us. As far as online discussion is concerned, we can't really control what posters say or do, but we can control how we react. What I do is to pick and choose what is useful/interesting and ignore the rest.  
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    Options
    They can't make that change because people will literally only complain that they paid 2k HP pre-change. They will want to be reimbursed because "it isn't fair".

D3 isn't going to go out of their way to make a change that 1) causes backlash and 2) can lead to them paying out millions of HP, hurting their bottom line far more than the reduced slot cost. 
    You must not be anywhere near 300 slots. That's just a silly statement.  Anyone currently above 300 slots would gladly have slot prices reduced.

You would complain if gas prices lowered because you were paying more in the past?