Slot price

Options

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don’t have that problem because I DON’T WASTE HP with useless farming that everyone thinks is necessary to play the game effectively.  If you choose to be a collectionist and do so because you believe he who dies with the most toys wins is the object of the game, then you deserve the higher roster costs. I never tracked it but it seems I get at least 200 HP on average every day so 5 days buys me a slot for a character release that only occurs every 14 days . Even at 2K cost I could still tread water and remain in the black . 
    Can you train me in the way of MPQ?  I always learn a little more of zen MPQ play when you post. Wax on, wax off.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There is freedom for everyone to play the game at the pace each one whishes.
    However forum's spirit is to provide info in order to make progress on the game. It would be really bad to not provide that info to people interested.
    So it could be considered to fail to this forum if not saying that farming characters is actually as effective as playing consistently. It provides absolutely valuable resources like a lot of LL tokens, iso, tokens, cps, and HP.
    That very HP which can sustain an HP slot increase.
    Currently I have 274 characters, so still I have time, but when I had 2000 HP per slot I will easily manage it, as farming and playing consistently allows that and much more (like buying 60 5* shards when appears your character on daily store).
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    They can't make that change because people will literally only complain that they paid 2k HP pre-change. They will want to be reimbursed because "it isn't fair".

D3 isn't going to go out of their way to make a change that 1) causes backlash and 2) can lead to them paying out millions of HP, hurting their bottom line far more than the reduced slot cost. 
    You must not be anywhere near 300 slots. That's just a silly statement.  Anyone currently above 300 slots would gladly have slot prices reduced.

You would complain if gas prices lowered because you were paying more in the past?
    It is naive and blatantly ignores past community reactions to think that slot cost reduction would not be met by people complaining that they should be reimbursed. The community literally does this for every positive change. They reworked champ rewards and despite it being a positive change that added numerous feeders, it was met with backlash. Yall on the forums complain about everything, especially when changes are aimed at benefitting new players, not the veterans. 

And yes, there are numerous non-MPQ examples of this which you cherry-picked around. A more apt example would be the large representation of people against reducing predatory student debt because they already paid theirs off. 

It really should not be such a surprise to you that these forums primarily represent the interests of veteran players who generally aren't interested in changes that assist new players in developing their rosters. Every new release is only considered valuable if they are one of the best in champed 4* or 5* meta, to the point where the community actively berates the devs with comments calling characters trash. 
  • Bad
    Options

It really should not be such a surprise to you that these forums primarily represent the interests of veteran players who generally aren't interested in changes that assist new players in developing their rosters. Every new release is only considered valuable if they are one of the best in champed 4* or 5* meta, to the point where the community actively berates the devs with comments calling characters trash. 
    Now that's an interesting statement.
    First of all, I don't think vet players do that on a ill willed way. I think they act like that because they actually feel it.
    However they fail to consider one important fact: the game doesn't run just for them .
    I remember when I downloaded the game 4 years ago, and it said no more than 500k download (I'm not sure if actually was 150k).
    Right now it has more than 10 millions downloads on android, and thanks to android sharing that data. I don't know if apple shares it too but obviously it should be added to android. 
    I wanted to share that data in my last thread because people use to lose perspective playing on their MMR, watching brackets or listening to fake rumours: the game is wildly played worldwide and new characters are designed and released accordingly, in order to appeal new players who could very well represent a 95% over the vet players. 

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I don’t have that problem because I DON’T WASTE HP with useless farming that everyone thinks is necessary to play the game effectively.  If you choose to be a collectionist and do so because you believe he who dies with the most toys wins is the object of the game, then you deserve the higher roster costs. I never tracked it but it seems I get at least 200 HP on average every day so 5 days buys me a slot for a character release that only occurs every 14 days . Even at 2K cost I could still tread water and remain in the black . 
    Can you train me in the way of MPQ?  I always learn a little more of zen MPQ play when you post. Wax on, wax off.
    As others stated , how you play is a personal choice . But if you choose to play a certain way you should not come here and complain because the style you chose has a negative effect on your view of the game . I choose to win and progress . I don’t farm , or hoard, or look at a clock for when I must play , and still enjoy animations. I still finish top 20 usually without all the mechanics players say you must do to win or gather rewards. I’m not #1, but apparently my way works better than 98% of the other players and I’m satisfied with that .
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As others stated , how you play is a personal choice . But if you choose to play a certain way you should not come here and complain because the style you chose has a negative effect on your view of the game . I choose to win and progress . I don’t farm , or hoard, or look at a clock for when I must play , and still enjoy animations. I still finish top 20 usually without all the mechanics players say you must do to win or gather rewards. I’m not #1, but apparently my way works better than 98% of the other players and I’m satisfied with that .
    You must be playing SCL 9 or lower because without the best practices you won’t get top 20 in SCL 10.  Not even close.  I went from top 5 in SCL 9 to top 50 in SCL 10.  So you would probably be top 200 in SCL 10.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think T20 playtime is around 30-35 minutes. If not, I think you joined the second bracket onwards. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Options
    I think T20 playtime is around 30-35 minutes. If not, I think you joined the second bracket onwards. 
    Due to Okoye boosted my playtime this week actually is that (50%) and I’m 20th . But even without her boosted it still can be done if you play smart .
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who says people are wasting HP? And how would you know if it's useless or not if you don't even farm? My 2s and 3s have already paid for themselves with farming them over and over again and I've recently started rostering my 4* dupes so they will slowly pay for themselves as well. Not to mention that with shards in the game, as well as milestones, it would be pretty foolish to not want to farm. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Options
    shardwick said:
    Who says people are wasting HP? And how would you know if it's useless or not if you don't even farm? My 2s and 3s have already paid for themselves with farming them over and over again and I've recently started rostering my 4* dupes so they will slowly pay for themselves as well. Not to mention that with shards in the game, as well as milestones, it would be pretty foolish to not want to farm. 
    So all that for a reward of an extra 25 5* shards per PvE usually on a character I won’t even use 90% of the time . That’s analogous to searching the internet for an hour to find a 10 cent off coupon . This is The Emporer’s New Clothes of collective denial . We’re all free to believe what we choose to and play accordingly to our beliefs. 
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2022
    Options
    We’re all free to believe what we choose to and play accordingly to our beliefs. 
    So play the game how you like and stop telling people that their way is wrong. 

If you think the game is fine as it is just carry on. Most people start discussions because there are genuine issues that need to be addressed. It may not be urgent or relevant to you or I but it's still an issue and there is no harm in highlighting it for discussion. 

For all the complaining that we perceive I believe that people genuinely love this game and wanna see it improve and go on for as long as it can. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Back to roster slot cost, there's a huge gap in goals between the dev and players.

Generally speaking:

Players who hit more than 300 slots
    1) want to use as little resources as possible or want to conserve resources as much as possible.
    2) highly unlikely to spend on Logan's Loonies or higher tier purchase.
    3) more likely to spend $2 to trigger rewards. VIP is not worth the money.
    4) has deep rosters, so all other purchases aren't attractive.
    5) don't care if reduction of roster slots from 2000 to 1000 cause the dev's revenues to drop. It's the dev's problem, not their problem.

Developer
    1) Anything to do with HP requires approval from finance.
    2) reducing roster slot costs from 2000 to 1000 is as good as reducing their revenues. 
    3) players who benefits from such reduction are largely small or non-spender. 

Conclusion
    Therefore, looking at the above statements, it doesn' make sense to reduce the roster slot cost because those who benefits from it are either small spenders, rare spenders or non-spenders. Since doing this doesn't increase revenue, and as a matter of fact, are likely to reduce revenue; therefore, the finance will not approve this deal, unless something major happens. 

The besy solution that can balance between a pseudo/temporary reduction of roster slot costs and increase/maintaun revenue is to give bonus for Logan's Loonies and above slightly more frequently, or give HP deals with top favourite characters more frequently. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Back to roster slot cost, there's a huge gap in goals between the dev and players.

Generally speaking:

Players who hit more than 300 slots
    1) want to use as little resources as possible or want to conserve resources as much as possible.
    2) highly unlikely to spend on Logan's Loonies or higher tier purchase.
    3) more likely to spend $2 to trigger rewards. VIP is not worth the money.
    4) has deep rosters, so all other purchases aren't attractive.
    5) don't care if reduction of roster slots from 2000 to 1000 cause the dev's revenues to drop. It's the dev's problem, not their problem.

Developer
    1) Anything to do with HP requires approval from finance.
    2) reducing roster slot costs from 2000 to 1000 is as good as reducing their revenues. 
    3) players who benefits from such reduction are largely small or non-spender. 

Conclusion
    Therefore, looking at the above statements, it doesn' make sense to reduce the roster slot cost because those who benefits from it are either small spenders, rare spenders or non-spenders. Since doing this doesn't increase revenue, and as a matter of fact, are likely to reduce revenue; therefore, the finance will not approve this deal, unless something major happens. 

The besy solution that can balance between a pseudo/temporary reduction of roster slot costs and increase/maintaun revenue is to give bonus for Logan's Loonies and above slightly more frequently, or give HP deals with top favourite characters more frequently. 
    Perhaps when the total number of characters exceeds 300 they will lower the costs.  But I certainly had an incentive to buy HP for slots with a new roster.  So if they reduced the slot price at 300, I would bet it would have little to no impact on their revenue.  Some players have a habit of spending, so I don’t think a slot price reduction would change that habit.  
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So...what about those slot prices, eh?

To use a Pokemon comparison (because I love Pokemon): imagine if, after you caught 100 Pokemon, the prices of all Poke Balls went up. And then went up again after you'd caught 200.
    It's also compounded by the increased release rate of new 5-stars. If you're a 'gotta champ 'em all' kind of player it means you'll be pulling more 4*s and run into this issue sooner than compared to 1-2 years ago. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shardwick said:
    So all that for a reward of an extra 25 5* shards per PvE usually on a character I won’t even use 90% of the time . That’s analogous to searching the internet for an hour to find a 10 cent off coupon . This is The Emporer’s New Clothes of collective denial . We’re all free to believe what we choose to and play accordingly to our beliefs. 
    Not sure why you're trying to connect t20 vs t50 cl10 placement to farming. Farming generates the most important resources in the game, cp and latest tokens. Someone could get t100 every event with a casual playstyle and farm and do far better than someone that does t20 or better and doesn't farm. Also, why do you suddenly care about placement rewards? Wasn't it you that said that anyone that went after placement rewards was a sheep? 
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    There are 24 releases in a year, which work out to 48,000 hp for roster slots. 

By reducing the cost by half, players will have an additional 24,000 hp to spend on, like really good vaults with 5* shards or other goodies.

24,000 hp is approximately a Stark + Logan Loonies + Bugle Pittances x 10. I'm not saying that all players spend on these, but it will impact the spending habits of existing players.

People buy things when they have a need. When the need doesn't exist, there's no sales. Likewise, by releasing 2 characters a month and making them essentials for a couple months, they are creating a need. 

Every companies linked to MPQ are either private companies or listed companies. Their main goals are to make good money. No decent service company is interested in making ~3% net profit margin. This is the type of profit margin Walmart achieves. 

If dropping roster slot costs from 2000 to 1000 is beneficial to the company's revenues, the finance would have already gone ahead with the change years ago.  2000 hp for 300th roster slot onwards has been a thing since 2018 or even earlier. It has been more than 4 years and they are still not reducing it. Maybe someone out there can convince them that dropping roster slot cost can actually increase or maintain their revenues in the long term. Who's going to be the Barack Obama of MPQ to convince the finance that doing this will make MPQ greater?

• Bad
    Options
    If right now there are 263 characters, that means people exceding 300 slots are farming (I don't understand why some badly wrong player who is not farming comments on this thread, by the way).
    If farming and playing consistently, there is a HP excedent which can easily handle the 2000 HP cost, so there shouldn't be any problem.
    Perhaps when MPQ released the 300th character they'd raise the 2000 HP capped line, but there are still 2 years left for that number. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,377 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Bad said:
    If right now there are 263 characters, that means people exceding 300 slots are farming (I don't understand why some badly wrong player who is not farming comments on this thread, by the way).
    If farming and playing consistently, there is a HP excedent which can easily handle the 2000 HP cost, so there shouldn't be any problem.
    Perhaps when MPQ released the 300th character they'd raise the 2000 HP capped line, but there are still 2 years left for that number. 

For me (and probably most of the players that are at 300 or more roster slots), it's not an issue that I can't farm the HP required. It's more about punishing players who have played and invested in the game for so long to reach that point. Especially since the design of the game is centered around collecting and keeping every character.

I also think the financial arguments several people have brought up are moot. The f2p's and occasional purchasers are not going to change their spending behavior at this point in the game, and the big whales are going to keep purchasing anyway.