3,000 days is a long time to play this game

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I used the word "majority", not "all". So, I didn't suggest that. Reddit MPQ has a lot of new players and they post about almost any achievements they have accomplished, like rostering all 3*, champing all 3*, rostering all 4* or 5* etc. If you are interested in new players' progresses, you can drop by there to take a look.

As for backfilling 5* bench, it depends on whether it means to champ all 5*, champing x number of 5* or rostering all 5*. The new players in reddit typically focus only on a few 5* like Kitty or Apocalypse. Currently, SC is the next popular choice.

With each meta 5* being more powerful than the previous meta 5*, it's not necessary to champ all the classic meta 5*, SC has broken that barrier and could even take down level 672 5*. 

My point is that setting a realistic timeframe is important. Can new players champ all classic meta 5*? Yes, they can. When is tricky question to answer because it depends on a lot of variables. A new player was able to champ Apocalypse within 300 days and he spent only on a starter pack that cost about 10 bucks. 

If a new player who wants to champ all classic 5* and doesn't play competitively or play only pves, and doesn't spend, I recommend a timeframe of between 4 to 6 years to accomplish that.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If a new player who wants to champ all classic 5* and doesn't play competitively or play only pves, and doesn't spend, I recommend a timeframe of between 4 to 6 years to accomplish that.
    I'd be jealous of such a player.  Look at my days in game... and I've been doing full progression PvE since before SCL 10 was a thing.  I do light PvP.  All other events are always max completed.

I have 39 champed 5*s.  Everyone 4* and under is champed.  Almost have my first max champ 4* (just a few covers away from Vulture getting that honor).

After 3000+ days... and you're telling me the new guy will get that in 4 to 6 years...?!  ...yep, mad jealous.  Lol.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I think you are around 306X days.  :o

There aren't a lot of meta 5* in the game currently: Thor, Okoye, Kitty, BRB, Apocalypse, Wanda, Colossus and Shang Chi. There're only 8.

5* feeders started in late 2017 and 5 out of 8 meta have feeders.

On top of that, there are 3 to 4 meta stores a year, which make champing classic meta 5* much easier. We are not even near the end of Q1 and we already have 2 meta stores:

Good Fortune 
    Okoye/Apocalypse/Beta Ray Bill

Legerdemain 
    Kitty Pryde/Dr Strange/ Shang-Chi

5 out of 8 meta 5* have already been featured in 2022.

Throw in milestone shards and progress are much easier for new players. They  allow new players to champ 1 5* of their choice from 0 to 13 covers even if they don't min-max.

As you can see, it is much more easier to champ classic meta 5*, despite all the dilution concerns. So, champing 8 meta 5* in 4 to 6 years' for these group of players isn't far-stretched.

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm exactly where you are at Vhailorx (day 2360). SCL10 PVE to 100-200, and PVP to 500 for the 10 CP. So far it's been enough to keep up with latest, but not enough to burn much in classics to help cover the 29 classic 5-stars that I don't have close to champed. I'm making some progress from shards there, but it's painfully slow.  I'm also not really moving my 5-stars up in levels much. My highest three are level 465, 461, and 459.

I've got a few meta 5-stars (iHulk, BRB) that have so few covers, I haven't chased them yet. Instead, I've been prioritizing the most interesting of my more fully covered 5-stars. It really doesn't help that we've got so many 5-stars that don't have feeders yet.

One thing to add, is that I still don't have any max champed 4-stars, and probably won't in 2022 (highest two are 355).  By the time that I do, that's going to start causing problem with higher cost roster slots.

First world problems..
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    I don't disagree with your math hound, and i definitely miss out on lots of rewards bynnot playing pvp much. That's a choice I make to avoid burnout and to feel like mpq's schedule is not driving my life. ...
    Interesting how the MPQ experience can be different for each player.

I'm the exact opposite. I skip some PVE events or play only last two subs to avoid burnout. I haven't joined a PvE event at the very start in a long time.

I like PvP since I can play different slices, hit 1200 and shield out 3, 8 or 24 hours before end.

For me PvE is the grind where PvP is interesting & fun. Even when you get smashed! 😆
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

I'd be jealous of such a player.  Look at my days in game... and I've been doing full progression PvE since before SCL 10 was a thing.  I do light PvP.  All other events are always max completed.

I have 39 champed 5*s.  Everyone 4* and under is champed.  Almost have my first max champ 4* (just a few covers away from Vulture getting that honor).

After 3000+ days... and you're telling me the new guy will get that in 4 to 6 years...?!  ...yep, mad jealous.  Lol.
    This is by design.  New players need to catch up with old players, so game progression has increased over time.  
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,563 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Everyone has a different experience: my first 5* was champed 3.5 years ago, now I have 47 (ranging from lv450 to 470), I've just max-champed my first 4* and expect to have 3 more by the end of this month.
    I play t100 (occasionally t50 if timing permits) in PVE and do as much PVP as I can (usually till 10CP, more if a good 5* is buffed).
    What does help, is a good alliance: we're not top scorers but normally get t200 to t500 in PVE and PVP and we get quite a few CP every week. I'm mostly F2P, but did buy the 17K HP bundle last week (my first purchase in 3 years).
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,628 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2222 for me

I am pretty certain that I am 18 days ahead of you. The fascinating thing is though that your roster is so much better than mine so you clearly used your days far more efficiently than I have!
  • dp05
    dp05 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Fellow 3k’er here! Don’t post here often but fun seeing other long-timers. I started playing the day it came out after Kotaku (I think) ran an article on it and having been a big fan of Puzzle Quest on the 360. Since they started daily resupply I think I’ve only missed a few logins. I play pretty casually and have been largely FTP but do the poor man’s VIP ($2 HP bundle) every month so I get the bonus rewards. Even at that though, I’ve been able to at least roster everyone, and have a full 2* and 3* farm going. Good times recalling different eras of the game and how far it’s come!
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm at 2256 here. I definitely had taken some chunks of time off, but I've been playing since launch or shortly after overall.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Alfje17 said:
    acescracked said:

I found all those other games visually too busy & all had obvious paywalls. I spent some money on MPQ throughout the first year but haven't needed to since. I guess that's why MPQ is still on my phone.

Very good point: MPQ has virtually no paywalls. As long as you play enough, you can get every character and you can catch up (albeit slowly) without ever spending.
    I'm playing another mobile game where every new character has paywalls for months and there are constant pop-ups and remindes how you can buy any of the 9 currencies... I haven't and will never spend a penny on that game, but I have spent a little on MPQ just to support the game!

I know that dedicated play is more than enough to build a 4* roster, even with well over 100 characrers now, but how well can f2p players backfill their 5* roster these days? Not snark; I really have no idea what that experience is.
    For me personally, who plays top 100-200 pve in cl10, and rarely goes past 500 points in pvp, I can more or less keep pace with the 5* releases (especially if decide to grind a few pve events for top 50). But I have made very little progress on any non-meta classic 5*s over the last 2 years. for example, my OML was 2/4/0 two years ago, and is 2/5/0 now. To be fair, I depriortize those characters as I have the key classic 5*s champed already and and save my resources for keeping up with the release schedule. Still, it suggests to me that a relatively new f2p player would have to play competitively in pve and pvp to get enough cp to catch the new releases and make progress on the classics.
    It's very tough finishing these classic 5s, especially if you skipped some or took time off when they were in LLs. Most of ones resources go to new releases whether they pull on every LL character or hoard until they find a trio to their liking. That's the boat I'm in and really can't afford to waste resources of classic 5s that haven't aged well and I'd likely never use. I'd certainly love to finish the classics but D3 really needs to implement a better way to achieve that. Shards and classic tokens isn't nearly enough. It's time for a classic 5* node on the DP daily at least heh. 
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    After a while you can use cps in classics since your 4 star farm starts putting out enough cp and tokens.  I'm just past 2900 and fairly easilly cover the new 5s.  Since most of my 4s are now in the mid 300s, I'm getting some good rewards.  Haven't maxed champed one yet, but probably will in the next month.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:
    PiMacleod said:

This is by design.  New players need to catch up with old players, so game progression has increased over time.  
    That's fair and valid.  I'd still be jealous though.  ;)

dp05 said:
    Fellow 3k’er here! Don’t post here often but fun seeing other long-timers. I started playing the day it came out after Kotaku (I think) ran an article on it and having been a big fan of Puzzle Quest on the 360. Since they started daily resupply I think I’ve only missed a few logins. I play pretty casually and have been largely FTP but do the poor man’s VIP ($2 HP bundle) every month so I get the bonus rewards. Even at that though, I’ve been able to at least roster everyone, and have a full 2* and 3* farm going. Good times recalling different eras of the game and how far it’s come!
    Thank YOU for mentioning the 360 PQ.  So many people I know mention it starting on portables, or on PS, or whatever... but peeps like you and me were rocking that 360 version thoroughly.  Lol.

If i took the time, I'd post a pic of the in-game login thing here too.  But I think that requires uploading it to imgur or something or whatever... meh.  😆 
  • bbigler
    Options
    tonypq said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Alfje17 said:
    acescracked said:

I found all those other games visually too busy & all had obvious paywalls. I spent some money on MPQ throughout the first year but haven't needed to since. I guess that's why MPQ is still on my phone.

Very good point: MPQ has virtually no paywalls. As long as you play enough, you can get every character and you can catch up (albeit slowly) without ever spending.
    I'm playing another mobile game where every new character has paywalls for months and there are constant pop-ups and remindes how you can buy any of the 9 currencies... I haven't and will never spend a penny on that game, but I have spent a little on MPQ just to support the game!

I know that dedicated play is more than enough to build a 4* roster, even with well over 100 characrers now, but how well can f2p players backfill their 5* roster these days? Not snark; I really have no idea what that experience is.
    For me personally, who plays top 100-200 pve in cl10, and rarely goes past 500 points in pvp, I can more or less keep pace with the 5* releases (especially if decide to grind a few pve events for top 50). But I have made very little progress on any non-meta classic 5*s over the last 2 years. for example, my OML was 2/4/0 two years ago, and is 2/5/0 now. To be fair, I depriortize those characters as I have the key classic 5*s champed already and and save my resources for keeping up with the release schedule. Still, it suggests to me that a relatively new f2p player would have to play competitively in pve and pvp to get enough cp to catch the new releases and make progress on the classics.
    It's very tough finishing these classic 5s, especially if you skipped some or took time off when they were in LLs. Most of ones resources go to new releases whether they pull on every LL character or hoard until they find a trio to their liking. That's the boat I'm in and really can't afford to waste resources of classic 5s that haven't aged well and I'd likely never use. I'd certainly love to finish the classics but D3 really needs to implement a better way to achieve that. Shards and classic tokens isn't nearly enough. It's time for a classic 5* node on the DP daily at least heh. 
    Agreed, a DDQ daily 5* node that rewards a Classic token would be perfect.  1 Classic token per day would be 1 Classic 5* cover per week, which translates into 1 cover per 5* Classic per year (roughly).  It would also help in covering and maxing the 4’s.  

But given the pattern in the game, if they did this, this proposed node would only happen once a week and would require a certain 5* to play it.  So to get 5*s you have to already have 5*s, which is frustrating.  
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:

Agreed, a DDQ daily 5* node that rewards a Classic token would be perfect.  1 Classic token per day would be 1 Classic 5* cover per week, which translates into 1 cover per 5* Classic per year (roughly).  It would also help in covering and maxing the 4’s.  

But given the pattern in the game, if they did this, this proposed node would only happen once a week and would require a certain 5* to play it.  So to get 5*s you have to already have 5*s, which is frustrating.  
    They pretty much have to do that otherwise there is no incentive to roster characters (their money maker) and players can do what you are doing which is build a very narrow roster and just use Shang Chi over and over again.
    The 4* crash would clearly be the model if there is ever going to be a 5* crash.

Rather than create a new DDQ node, I'd prefer to see them simply change the 4* crash to be a daily rather than once per 4 days. But the catch is that each day the opponent would increase by 30 levels. So on day 1 it would be L270, on day 2 it would be L300 on day 3 it would be L330 and on day 4 L360 then would start again for the next crash character. The rewards could be changed to day 1&2 = classic token and day 3&4 latest token.
    That would let players win more tokens and make the crash easier to win as your 4* champ leveled up.
    KGB
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:

That would let players win more tokens and make the crash easier to win as your 4* champ leveled up.
    KGB
    Or easier to win as your taskmaster sword leveled up.
  • bbigler
    Options
    Bad said:
    KGB said:

KGB
    Or easier to win as your taskmaster sword leveled up.
    That’s the thing with supports, a good support can help any character win their crash, no matter how weak they are.  I’m winning crashes with level 70 characters 
  • bbigler
    Options
    KGB said:
    bbigler said:

They pretty much have to do that otherwise there is no incentive to roster characters (their money maker) and players can do what you are doing which is build a very narrow roster and just use Shang Chi over and over again.
    I think you’re idea for making the Crash a daily occurrence instead of every 5 days is great.  But I wanted to respond to the above statement…..

Yes, I use Shang for everything because he’s that awesome.  He quickly kills, fully heals, can handle 550’s and is generally fun to play.  So even though my roster is “narrow” on champs, I’m doing my best to widen it and playing Shang everywhere gives me the best results.  I wouldn’t criticize someone for having a narrow roster, especially since people with wide rosters still play the same characters over and over because they give the best results.  
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Options

bbigler said:
    KGB said:
    bbigler said:

I think you’re idea for making the Crash a daily occurrence instead of every 5 days is great.  But I wanted to respond to the above statement…..

Yes, I use Shang for everything because he’s that awesome.  He quickly kills, fully heals, can handle 550’s and is generally fun to play.  So even though my roster is “narrow” on champs, I’m doing my best to widen it and playing Shang everywhere gives me the best results.  I wouldn’t criticize someone for having a narrow roster, especially since people with wide rosters still play the same characters over and over because they give the best results.  

I can't speak for KGB, bit fwiw I read that comment less as a criticism of your playstyle and more as a comment that demi/d3 do not want lots of players adopting the same philosophy because they make money off the need to roster and keep just about every character in the game. And as far as I can tell that is very true; mpq makes a lot of its money off of HP sales based on a need to buy roster slots and catch covers that would otherwise expire.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As a veteran who re-started recently, bbigler is not adopting a f2p philosophy, instead using the best tools to make progress, also buying things on the way. D3 should be happy with him.
    And indeed he is advancing in short time.
    There are many ways to play this game. Competitive players will think exclusively in how to be stronger, perhaps they will think a lot of hours per day on the game besides playing it(at least me).
    Casual players can have their relaxed way too.
    It's a match 3 superheroes game. You must like the 2 concepts. But without liking a lot the first one it's not possible to advance further.
    And also is a freemium gacha game. There are mechanism whiches allow devs to make money for their IP.