Anyone skipping Shang-Chi ?

Options

Comments

• Sithforever
    Sithforever Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Shang Chi is legit. Good by himself or better with others like Professor X. Up to 465 for mine. I don't regret the 70 to 80 pulls spent overall on champing Shang Chi. I do champ all 5s but he definitely has risen above all the riff raff. The worst thing of passing on him is he is already pretty damn good. Releasing a synergistic 5 with him in the next few months or sometime next year will make it even tougher if you pass.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think he will appear in the Chinese New Year store next year, either with Okoye or to replace Okoye.  This year Good Fortune store had Onslaught, Okoye and Deadpool.

If you have problem with Wanda/Colossus, Gamora is good. As for Ultron, he's niche but I think players will probably eat their words in the future.

If you are worried, you can wait till Q2 of 2022 to wait for meta pulls. I'm definitely pooling for him because I love characters with tiles destruction ability. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think he will appear in the Chinese New Year store next year, either with Okoye or to replace Okoye.  This year Good Fortune store had Onslaught, Okoye and Deadpool.

If you have problem with Wanda/Colossus, Gamora is good. As for Ultron, he's niche but I think players will probably eat their words in the future.

If you are worried, you can wait till Q2 of 2022 to wait for meta pulls. I'm definitely pooling for him because I love characters with tiles destruction ability. 
    I really like Ultron. Maybe it's just that James Spader did such an awesome job voicing him. In-game, Ultron is fun with Knull and Dark Beast. He's also an alternative to R4G as a third for Kitty/Polaris.

I don't know why Odin keeps getting so much flak. Ok, I do, but as I've been saying in these forums, Odin needs to be played the way he was designed: a purely support character to take huge hits for you and buff his teammates to 5/5/5. I came across a lv270 Odin in PVP and that match was irritating, cos Odin kept jumping to the front, preventing me from targeting Wanda. He definitely has some value on defence.

Gamora is similar to Shang: she'll be great on offence, a paper tiger on defence. Unless you team Gamora up with a tile fortifier, her Yellow will be unreliable. I could see some use with her and Heimdall/Shang, since Heimdall can fortify her Yellow repeaters. That trio can easily make light work of Wanda/Colossus/Apocalypse.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I like Odin too, but I had bad build and I'd to champ him to respec him. If I've the perfect build, I definitely won't champ him. He's definitely a support character. I can't see him being an offensive character. Even his red power is a support and the damage is just a bonus. I love watching him take 1 damage from nuke. Hopefully, his abilities get sorted out properly.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 572 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like Odin too, but I had bad build and I'd to champ him to respec him. If I've the perfect build, I definitely won't champ him. He's definitely a support character. I can't see him being an offensive character. Even his red power is a support and the damage is just a bonus. I love watching him take 1 damage from nuke. Hopefully, his abilities get sorted out properly.

Absolutley - ran him with hawkeye/Prof5 this week, and he's solid. on wave nodes, i was able to keep the team at zero (or near enough) AP while just potting away with Hawkeye.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Omegased said:
    I'm hoping to champ all four. i have Odin champed, and I'll be pulling (have approx 270 pulls) once he rotates out.

Odin is pretty good, and with the right team can really make an interesting match. in PVE, i used Hawkeye/Odin/third.

It's worth noting that he (or someone on his team) NEEDS some quality supports on them. 

Avengers Tower is pretty decent at 4stars, (55.55% chance to fortify a special tile, plus creates a protect tile on a match 4), also Hulkling.

Yeah, I have 285 pulls right now and I'm starting to twitch a bit. I even had a nightmare like a week ago where I opened them all up and not one of them was a 5*. I woke up in a cold sweat and wanted to cry.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Options

I don't know why Odin keeps getting so much flak. Ok, I do, but as I've been saying in these forums, Odin needs to be played the way he was designed: a purely support character to take huge hits for you and buff his teammates to 5/5/5. I came across a lv270 Odin in PVP and that match was irritating, cos Odin kept jumping to the front, preventing me from targeting Wanda. He definitely has some value on defence.

Odin is just awful, you will never convince me otherwise. By himself he cannot even power his own abilities, his design is a haphazard mess and nothing really works together.

He is trash.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 572 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2021
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    Odin is just awful, you will never convince me otherwise. By himself he cannot even power his own abilities, his design is a haphazard mess and nothing really works together.

He is trash.
    TO be fair, you're describing the majority of characters. Most characters alone are nothing flash. Hell, Kitty on her own is a cakewalk. even Scarlet Witch or Colossus Solo are easy beat.

He's certainly NOT great. in PVP he'll be a challenge. in PVE? using supports to speed up fortified tiles means he's quicker.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The problem with Odin (and it's a big problem) is that he gets much worse when he's boosted. 

That means he's really only usable when not boosted.  But in unboosted events there isn't really a place to put him, since you're typically running 3 meta characters.  Nobody would bench Colossus for Odin, for example.

5* are either Tier 1, usable all the time, Tier 2, usable when boosted, or Tier 3, never usable.  Odin clearly isn't Tier 1 and he's also not Tier 2, so...
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2022
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:

He is trash.
    You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. To me, Odin is a fun character to use.  <3
  • HoundofShadow
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I have filed bug report for Odin. Odin's jump in front ability will trigger before any modifier based on ability is calculated. 

450 Odin's trigger to jump in front is 5792 damage.

450 boosted to 569 Colossus Yellow match-3 deals ~16,018 damage.

Your Colossus will reduce their match damage to ~2723.

Logically, Odin shoudn't jump in front, but he will jump in front. That also explains why he doesn't jump in front when Apocalypse boosts allies' power damage.

Given the above same scenario, except that you replace your Colossus with 12000 strength protect tiles, Odin won't jump in front.

After talking with other players in the bug report thread, I discovered that why Iceman was bugged and subsequently, Mr Sinister is bugged too.

Even so, with Colossus boosted, Odin will have great difficulty putting fortified tiles on the board. 
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bbigler said:
    This game is all about the passives! With few exceptions, every top character has had powerful passives.  I’m sure someone is now going to list every top character since the inception of the game without a good passive, but that’s not the point.  If a character doesn’t have a good passive, I think they are generally overlooked. 
    And this is still true with Shang Chi. It's his blue passive that really makes him powerful. I should know as I don't have it yet. :D He's still fun at 3/2/0, but I'm sure he'll feel a lot more powerful when I finally get that blue power. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Without the passive, Shang-Chi is 2* bullseye who can only drop one crit.
  • 9RMetal
    9RMetal Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    For me, I have been hoarding until Odin leaves, I want both Shang Chi and Gamora!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Options
    And for some reason Okoye's spear does more damage and is more efficient than Odin's spear.
    Killmonger must have repatriated all the vibranium in Asgard…
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm loving Shang-Chi as both a go to on harder CNs and in Sim PVP. He also doesn't seem like a character that needs a ton of champ levels in order to be super effective. The man is really good right out of the gate.

I'm mainly using him with Wanda (creates purple with her purple) and half Thor (collects red AP.)
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anyone plan to skip on Shang-Chi because you don't want Odin, Ultron or Gamora ?

Can't say I did. I like Ultron and Odin thematically (even though they both might not be useful on their own or meta).  

Managed to champ shang, when gamora enters I will need to get her for pve essential 5. Ultron is at 5 covers and will probably end up getting him to 8-10 covers by the time he leaves. Odin is cursed for me. I swear.

On my 4star alt I have Odin at something like 0 2 2 spread. On my main he's at 1 5 5 (3). RNG just doesn't want to give me his jump in front covers. It's crazy.   

My plan is to pull for 1x gamora cover then save for the next bunch of 5s. We're due a decent 5star within the next 5x5 releases. Just going by law of averages. 
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Yeah, I don't know if I'd count on him being a fan favorite.  The top players consider him fun but not useful.  For the casuals, his movie did well but he's still a lesser-known character. 

He seems really popular around here but he's the kind of character people will either love or hate.

Why would anyone hate him?
    Because you have to really think about what you're doing when you use him.  The way the game has developed over the last few years, with dominant extremely powerful passives, you can play and win really quickly without thinking very much.  Lots of people got used to that, and they don't want to go back to a game where you have to think a lot.

I don't mean to say those players are bad or wrong or whatever.  I personally don't like that the game is that way now, but it is and there's plenty of people who like it.

To be fair, that's my preferred play style - just sit back with ThorPocalypse and thunder a hell of a lot of damage at once.  OTOH Shang-Chi gives me good options for when I feel that I want to pay attention, and tinykitty does he punch waaaaay above his weight class when he starts going.  There are tons of good combos with him, too, across the 5* and 4* tiers.  All in all, he's one of the best-designed characters in a long time, particularly since he's not very terrifying on defense (a bad cascade can end up doing a lot of damage, I suppose, but you'd have to be really unlucky for that to happen.)
    I plan on exhausting my small hoard on him, timed to get as much him as possible.  My instincts say that Odin will be better in the long term than Gamora, but I think I'm done with him at 456.  That's probably two or three more than I would be if I didn't think so.  I'll spend everything over the next cycle, then probably pull minimally until Ultron, and maybe even Gamora are out - neither of them seem particularly good even boosted.
    Even if the 5* who follows Gamora (we'll know next week) is amazing, I should be able to cover them easily with probably a bit extra.  Based on how often they release amazing 5*s, though, I'd say that's unlikely, so I'll be able to build up at least a 50-100 pull excess by the next great 5*...