Anyone skipping Shang-Chi ?

Options
tonypq
tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
edited November 2021 in MPQ General Discussion
Anyone plan to skip on Shang-Chi because you don't want Odin, Ultron or Gamora ?

I was curious if any of you have decided to pass on Shang-Chi, who's regarded as a really great 5* by most, because you don't want any of the other 5s he'll be sandwiched with in the LL store. 

Me personally I'd like to get Shang-Chi, but have very little desire for Odin, Ultron or Gamora. Especially how RNG works, I could aim to just cover Shang and spend 300 plus pulls ending up with 20 Ultron covers and not enough to finish Shang heh. I'm on the fence if I'm going to pull for Shang-Chi or skip entirely and horde more for a future LL trio. I have the other meta 5s and would be nice to have Shang-Chi but not sure I want him bad enough with the others in LLs.

Comments

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I decided I wanted him enough to make an effort, and slowly pulled what I had.  I've got an 11 cover Odin, a 7 cover SC, and a 13 cover Ultron (yeah, thanks RNG!).  I'll get 1 Odin more for sure, maybe 2.  And then I have to decide how much to pull for SC and potentially level up Ultron, or just use my milestone rewards and progression rewards to finish him off.  I think I have at least 3 covers in Milestones to use, so may as well use it on him.  
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm pulling for him but SC is almost guaranteed to be a Fan Favorite. You could easily skip him and hope he ends up with Switch in the Summer FF store or next years anniversary.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm pulling for him but SC is almost guaranteed to be a Fan Favorite. You could easily skip him and hope he ends up with Switch in the Summer FF store or next years anniversary.
    This is probably a very good bet.  His shards should be available in a few different upcoming events.  People are definitely going to get multiple chances at him in a few different ways.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not on purpose, but I am a bit concerned I may not get him finished since I just have a 1/3/1 Shang-Chi with 200 shards. I try to keep up with everyone at baby champ levels, I'm not about that all in on the meta, skip the rest life.
  • JangoLore
    JangoLore Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    He is tons of fun to play with and adds a slightly different mechanic to the game with his powers.  Plus the self-heal is a real health pack saver.  I would definitely pull for him.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want Shang Chi very much. Now, if the next 5 is crazy good I might skip him, just because how bad Ultron is and how meh Gamora is, as I doubt I would have time to build my stash in time and I guess better to wait for the next 3.

PS: If I have to skip Shang Chi because the next 5 is crazy good after so many meh chars I am going to be pretty pissed off….
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really thought about it.  I didn't have enough pulls saved up when Electro was in Latest to be confident in covering Shang or I would have pulled then.  I had hope originally for Gamora but she is super underwhelming after her intro events.  Ultron and Odin both seem to only be useful when god boosted and only for the huge HP and match damage that comes from the boost.

In the end I bit the bullet and decide to pull for Shang before Gamora rotates in.  He's fun and adds huge punching power to my roster of 480 Apoc and 9 other 5* champs below 460.  I ended up champing Odin as well but that was ann afterthought.

I've already used Shang very reliably on tough SCL 10 nodes that punish SAP tiles and limit the ability to use BRB Polaris, and I don't even have him champed yet, he's still at 12 covers and waiting on shards from next events to finish.

In terms of being able to find him later - most top players aren't considering him must-have meta and I'm not sure if he'll have enough casual fan appeal to make it into a Fan Favorite store.  I can see him being featured in a cultural celebration store like Chinese new year, or a new character store, but unless it's a Fan Favorite there's no guarantee the other characters along side him will be any better than Ultron Odin or Gamora.  And even then, fan favorite stores often feature 2 meta characters and one outside the meta (Apoc and Kitty were with Deadpool in the summer favorite favorite store and Strange in the Anniversary fan favorite store, neither of whom are meta).

So if you have the pulls to cover it, and think your roster can benefit from Shang, I say go for him now.  Otherwise you could wait a long time to not have him, and still have poor partners with him the next time he comes around, and have to spend your much more valuable CP to get him as opposed to being and to spend LTs now.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know if I'd count on him being a fan favorite.  The top players consider him fun but not useful.  For the casuals, his movie did well but he's still a lesser-known character. 

He seems really popular around here but he's the kind of character people will either love or hate.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know if I'd count on him being a fan favorite.  The top players consider him fun but not useful.  For the casuals, his movie did well but he's still a lesser-known character. 

He seems really popular around here but he's the kind of character people will either love or hate.

Why would anyone hate him?
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:

Why would anyone hate him?
    Because you have to really think about what you're doing when you use him.  The way the game has developed over the last few years, with dominant extremely powerful passives, you can play and win really quickly without thinking very much.  Lots of people got used to that, and they don't want to go back to a game where you have to think a lot.

I don't mean to say those players are bad or wrong or whatever.  I personally don't like that the game is that way now, but it is and there's plenty of people who like it.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Whether he in Fan Favourites or not there are enough people who like him he will be featured in some store. People who aren’t pulling for him here likely won’t pull for him then given the reaction for the anniversary store.

But yeah, he is fun and powerful but probably not considered meta.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With my new roster, I’ve decided to continuously pull latest instead of hoarding like last time. I currently have a 0/0/1 Shang, a 2/0/1 Ultron and a 1/0/0 Odin after 19 pulls. 

Odin is useless, Ultron works with Cage & Fist, but Shang is good with just that 1 power. I wish I had his red though because he tanks everything and constantly needs health packs (plus it’s hard to keep the combo going). So, I’m pulling for Shang, but I do like 5*Gamora as well. 
    I’ve been getting a decent amount of defensive wins in shield sim with Ultron+Cage+Fist. 
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 572 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm hoping to champ all four. i have Odin champed, and I'll be pulling (have approx 270 pulls) once he rotates out.

Odin is pretty good, and with the right team can really make an interesting match. in PVE, i used Hawkeye/Odin/third.

It's worth noting that he (or someone on his team) NEEDS some quality supports on them. 

Avengers Tower is pretty decent at 4stars, (55.55% chance to fortify a special tile, plus creates a protect tile on a match 4), also Hulkling.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Because you have to really think about what you're doing when you use him.  The way the game has developed over the last few years, with dominant extremely powerful passives, you can play and win really quickly without thinking very much.  Lots of people got used to that, and they don't want to go back to a game where you have to think a lot.

Namely thor's absurdly infinity-stone-like passive, and okoye crazily boostering Ihulk. 

Just 3 characters, but without them people would learn to match tiles again. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This game is all about the passives! With few exceptions, every top character has had powerful passives.  I’m sure someone is now going to list every top character since the inception of the game without a good passive, but that’s not the point.  If a character doesn’t have a good passive, I think they are generally overlooked.