What's New MPQ - Updated 10/18/21

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    I'm sorry but no one can name 100 characters that should be in the game and leave BATMAN off their list.  Come on, guys!
    Only if we also get a Dark Claw that can't be used on the same team as Batman or Wolverine.
    Funny story -- when they run the "who do you want added" poll, I always used to vote for Batman.  I thought I was being hilarious, because I have the sense of humor of a small child, and I don't take anything about this game seriously.  I'd actually laugh out loud, thinking of the mischief I'd caused.

Well, at some point, someone was talking to one of the devs on Reddit or Discord or some other thing I don't use, and found out that Batman is actually one of the most popular poll answers every time they run the question.

So, either a lot of people are *very* confused, or a lot of people have the same juvenile sense of humor that I do.  (Now I vote for Aquaman.)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
    I'm sorry but no one can name 100 characters that should be in the game and leave BATMAN off their list.  Come on, guys!
    You mean Nighthawk?
    No he means The Shroud!
  • DAZ0273
    JHawkInc said:
    Only if we also get a Dark Claw that can't be used on the same team as Batman or Wolverine.
    Funny story -- when they run the "who do you want added" poll, I always used to vote for Batman.  I thought I was being hilarious, because I have the sense of humor of a small child, and I don't take anything about this game seriously.  I'd actually laugh out loud, thinking of the mischief I'd caused.

Well, at some point, someone was talking to one of the devs on Reddit or Discord or some other thing I don't use, and found out that Batman is actually one of the most popular poll answers every time they run the question.

So, either a lot of people are *very* confused, or a lot of people have the same juvenile sense of humor that I do.  (Now I vote for Aquaman.)
    Marvel actually came really close to publishing Batman and other DC comics! It was in the 80s when DC were getting seriously trounced that they approached Marvel about licencing the DC heroes (think along the lines of what Marvel & Sony have done with the Spider-Man films). What made it even more interesting was that there had been a number of Marvel/DC crossovers that had established both sets of heroes existed in the same universe. Then just as the deal was being struck Marvel got hit by an anti-trust law suit claiming that they were involved in practices that were amounting to be a monopoly and of course publishing your nearest rivals books would have pretty much been that lawsuit proven correct so the the whole thing was scrapped. But who knows where they might have ended going with it.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or David Xanatos. 
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 558 Critical Contributor
    MegaBee said:
    I will never stop loving the fact that Black Bolt's real name is BLACKAGAR BOLTAGON.
    Jubilation Lee would like a word with you.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,126 Chairperson of the Boards
    I forgot to put Darkhawk on my list.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    And US Ace as well.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    It is hilarious to me that I haven’t read a new marvel book since…1993 maybe? And I can still recall ~100 characters who aren’t already in this game that has over 200 characters in it without researching anything. A misspent youth indeed…I blame those Marvel trading cards and The Handbook of the Marvel Universe
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I could name a hundred at least as well , Omega Red was nothing but X- Fanboys request for their own poor man’s Dr Octopus.  There is a Red that’s missing though , Skull .  I’d also accept Red Ghost with each ape being a power . 
  • shardwick
    It is hilarious to me that I haven’t read a new marvel book since…1993 maybe? And I can still recall ~100 characters who aren’t already in this game that has over 200 characters in it without researching anything. A misspent youth indeed…I blame those Marvel trading cards and The Handbook of the Marvel Universe
    I had most of those trading cards from the early 90s too. I just want Silver Sable and a really awesome 5* White Queen and I'll be content.
  • Cataliban
    Cataliban Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Well, not only 100+, but near 200+. I will note here only 2 characters not listed above. One serious, one "limited halloween Special·

1. Molecule Man (Owen Reece) - https://www.marvel.com/characters/molecule-man
    2. Jack O'Lantern ( Steven Levins)  - https://www.marvel.com/characters/jack-o-lantern-steven-levins

Being a major character in the Marvel Universe is different to be the same in the MCU or here, MPQ.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    The Black Knight was also huge in Marvel comics and this game it would fit right in because we’ve already got about 10 Black - something characters . You could also put in Kevin Bacon’s Black King .  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega red will be awesome. I'm sure he will have true heal. 

Are Venompool, Goldpool, Joe Fixit, Venom the Duck, Hit-Monkey, Platinumpool one-time hit character? MCOC, to me, has a lot of unique characters.
  • DAZ0273
    And US Ace as well.

Well if we are going down that route then I raise you

• DAZ0273
    It wouldn't be too difficult to keep going - we have the bulk of the Justice League Squadron Supreme, Legion of Superheroes Imperial Guard, Serpent Society - that must be heading towards 50 just from that lot alone. We also have a chunk of Thor's Asgardian cast missing and The Eternals (although no doubt soon to be partly rectified).
    Halloween based we could have the previously mentioned Werewolf by Night (who was in a Monster themed group called The Night Shift who would make a great Support) or Satanna or Daimon Hellstrom or my favourite The Gargoyle.
    I would like to make a special mention of one of the finest comic books of the 80's - Power Pack - would love the kids in the game as the first 4-in-1 character.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    Or David Xanatos. 
    Just an FYI they just came out a few months ago with a new Gargoyles board game by the same people who did Disney/Marvel Villainous game:

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22621923/gargoyles-board-game-review-target-ravensburger
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Having never read a Marvel comic, I doubt I could name 100 characters not in the game and I have no idea who 80% of the ones just mentioned are. Nonetheless, I have heard of Omega Red (due to the 90s animated series), so I can totally understand why he gets requested a lot. I have to say that I'm also very disappointed that nobody has mentioned Morph. He's never going to get into the game is he?  :D
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2021
    Having never read a Marvel comic, I doubt I could name 100 characters not in the game and I have no idea who 80% of the ones just mentioned are. Nonetheless, I have heard of Omega Red (due to the 90s animated series), so I can totally understand why he gets requested a lot. I have to say that I'm also very disappointed that nobody has mentioned Morph. He's never going to get into the game is he?  :D
    No he won't, Morph isn't a real marvel character.  He was invented for the X-men animated series because they wanted to sacrifice a member of the team early in the series but didn't want to do it to one of the real X-men.

• shardwick
    shardwick said:
    Or David Xanatos. 
    Just an FYI they just came out a few months ago with a new Gargoyles board game by the same people who did Disney/Marvel Villainous game:

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22621923/gargoyles-board-game-review-target-ravensburger
    Xanatos needs his own blockbuster summer movie that is focused on him along with a ton of merch. I want limited edition collectors cups, dammit.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 498 Mover and Shaker
    No he won't, Morph isn't a real marvel character.  He was invented for the X-men animated series because they wanted to sacrifice a member of the team early in the series but didn't want to do it to one of the real X-men.

He wasn't originally a real Marvel character, but he sure is now: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Kevin_Sidney_(Earth-1081)

His time on The Exiles was great and eventually tragic. I also really enjoyed how he existed in the Age of Apocalypse timeline.