What's New MPQ - Updated 10/18/21

Options

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Half of zero is still zero, which could be Agent Zero, also known as Maverick...that would be dope. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Christoph_Nord_(Earth-616)

• fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Another word for none is null. Could it be a character related to Knull? Perhaps also related to the Venom 2 release? Although we already have a 5* Carnage and 4* Venom is basically the Venom in the film, right? So I'm not sure where that gets us.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Another word for none is null. Could it be a character related to Knull? Perhaps also related to the Venom 2 release? Although we already have a 5* Carnage and 4* Venom is basically the Venom in the film, right? So I'm not sure where that gets us.

There the "Half" would fit, too. There are two halves: the symbiote and the host.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I wouldn't complain about a 5* Venom.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only one from Venom that would probably be released is Shriek, and she is more likely to be a 4* IMO. I think the original premise that the next will be from the Eternals is correct. Luckily I haven’t heard on any of the yet.
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would be all for a 5* Venom with web tiles who synergized with 5* PP Spidey. The "half of" part of the clue makes me think of something infinity gauntlet/Thanos' snap related but not sure how the "none" would fit in.. I haven't finished "What if" so maybe there's something related there?
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gilgamesh , the ForgotteN ONE
  • Elementeo
    Elementeo Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I was thinking half of one could be Zola  
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There’s a mutant brain in a jar called No Girl, but that seems unlikely.
    If “half” refers to someone’s other half then it could be someone whose partner is not there or invisible. Might there be a suitable candidate to be a 5* who has an invisible wife?
  • MackDan1
    MackDan1 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks for keeping up with the sneak peeks.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Finally something I know about ! Unisol was an old anti microbial ophthalmic solution .  I really have no idea how it relates to any Marvel character though. The only eye character has been beaten to death here already . 

( Could be one-sun ( son) or someone who is the first male child of another character)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Googling Uni-Sol and Marvel throws up images of Carnage and Venom, which is weird. Googling Sun and Marvel throws up Zoran the Sun God, Sun Girl, Doctor Sun and Midnight Suns, which is another video game.

Marvel youtube channel is flooded with Eternals videos. It releases on 5 November but our next 4* releases on 4 November. It seems a bit early for Eternal and I don't think the dev wants to spoil it that early. 

I'll go with Void because:

Once the Sentry found that the Void was a different entity he took the void and threw him into the sun, but the Sentry still fears his return.

So, the Void is one with the Sun, that gives you Uni-Sol or One Sun.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shang-Chi’s release coincided with his movie start in theatres didn’t it? I remember thinking it was pretty early.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If it is an Eternals character then the most likely choice might be Ikaris - in the comic books he took his sons name after, as per the legend, his son "flew too close to the sun" and perished. Although I don't know whether that lore will apply to any MCU version. I guess also the Eternals form the Uni-Mind?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You may be right.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings premiered in Los Angeles on August 16, 2021, and was released in the United States on September 3, as part of Phase Four of the MCU. 

I don't know what's the main difference between premiere and release but MPQ Shang Chi appeared on 26 Aug, which is between premier and release. The same thing is happening with The Eternals, so it's possible. 

Since we are guaranteed to have two of them in MPQ, I would like to see Ajak and Kingo because their abilities should be fun in MPQ. 

My first impression of them, based on reading CNET one-line description:

1) Ikaris shoots laser from his eyes. Hyperion can do that too. That reminds me of Superman. Did DC attempt to sue Marvel for character likeness?
    2) Sersi is like a better version of Magneto, manipulating non-living matter.
    3) Kingo fires energy projectiles from his hands. I can't think of anyone.
    4) Gilgamesh is like a buffed version of Iron Fist.
    5) Thena is like Kate Bishop, but uses energy as weapons.
    6) Sprite is like Loki.
    7) Phastos is like male version of Shuri.
    8) Makkari is like female Northstar or Quicksilver.
    9) Druig is basically Prof X, except that he can walk.
    10) Ajak heals and can communicate with Celestial Beings. I can't think of any Marvel character similar to this.

Someone who read Eternals could probably link one of them to Uni-Sol. 

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Uni sol backwards is losin’ ‘u. That suggests someone turning back time to regain a lost loved one. It could be Doctor Strange from What If? 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Doing some Googling, I think I've got it.

First, the obvious, The Eternals is coming soon, so that means we're due a tie-in character or two.

Second, someone mentioned the Uni-Mind. I get the rough idea that it's kinda like a mini Captain Planet, an entity summoned by the Eternals, and containing their collective power. The Marvel wiki says it can only be summoned by the "Prime Eternal." Following that link, the PE is a leader of the Eternals, and the wiki lists Zuras, Thena, and Ikaris.

Third... Sol -> Sun -> Icarus flew too close to the sun.

I think it's Ikaris. And Thena (or maybe Sersi? I keep seeing things that indicates Marvel considers her the lead of the movie) as a 5* for the release after that. Maybe if we're lucky they'll break the pattern of # of releases per movie and we'll get more of them, since this is an ensemble film (more likely we'll get the normal tie-ins, and another one or two like next summer if the movie is a hit, based on general reception of the characters).
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    You may be right.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings premiered in Los Angeles on August 16, 2021, and was released in the United States on September 3, as part of Phase Four of the MCU. 

I don't know what's the main difference between premiere and release but MPQ Shang Chi appeared on 26 Aug, which is between premier and release. The same thing is happening with The Eternals, so it's possible. 

Since we are guaranteed to have two of them in MPQ, I would like to see Ajak and Kingo because their abilities should be fun in MPQ. 

My first impression of them, based on reading CNET one-line description:

1) Ikaris shoots laser from his eyes. Hyperion can do that too. That reminds me of Superman. Did DC attempt to sue Marvel for character likeness?
    2) Sersi is like a better version of Magneto, manipulating non-living matter.
    3) Kingo fires energy projectiles from his hands. I can't think of anyone.
    4) Gilgamesh is like a buffed version of Iron Fist.
    5) Thena is like Kate Bishop, but uses energy as weapons.
    6) Sprite is like Loki.
    7) Phastos is like male version of Shuri.
    8) Makkari is like female Northstar or Quicksilver.
    9) Druig is basically Prof X, except that he can walk.
    10) Ajak heals and can communicate with Celestial Beings. I can't think of any Marvel character similar to this.

Someone who read Eternals could probably link one of them to Uni-Sol. 

The Eternals were mostly based upon greek/roman gods/legends. Jack Kirby had originally planned to replace Thor with his "New Gods" books that he did at DC but when they were cancelled and he jumped back to Marvel he used The Eternals as a way of continuing the concept of mythology mixed with science fiction.
    This similarity was explained away that they were mistaken for some of the Olympian Gods in the comic books so an agreement was struck between them that the Eternals would represent them on Earth in ancient times.
    1.) Ikaris is taken from the greek mythology but is likely also influenced by Apollo. The film may differ but in fact most of the Eternals could fire energy beams out of their eyes, so Ikaris was not unique in that but I think that has changed for the MCU! Hyperion is a parody of Superman (as the Squadron Supreme is of Justice League) - there were a few times that the companies came to blows over this (and DC's parody Marvel characters) but it never went to court. Whilst the SS are deliberate parody/homages, there are plenty of other characters that were a bit similar between the two where things may not have been so on the up and up, notably X-Men/Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing/Man Thing.
    2.) Sersi is Circe, the witch from The Odyssey who could change people into pigs through her witchcraft
    3.) Kingo is one of the few Eternals not based on Olympian/Roman gods and was a Samurai type character originally
    4.) The Forgotten One/Gilgamesh is basically Hercules
    5.) Thena is Athena (a goddess fabled for her battle prowess)
    6.) Sprite doesn't have a specific god as his basis but is based upon Greek/Roman nymph like creatures and also in part Peter Pan
    7.) Phastos is Hephaestus - the greek god who made the gods weapons
    8.) Makkari is Hermes, the god of parcel develieries...
    9.) Druig is another like Kingo who doesn't have a direct influence
    10.) Ajak is taken from the Greek warrior Ajak who fought in the Trojan War

• DAZ0273
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Doing some Googling, I think I've got it.

First, the obvious, The Eternals is coming soon, so that means we're due a tie-in character or two.

Second, someone mentioned the Uni-Mind. I get the rough idea that it's kinda like a mini Captain Planet, an entity summoned by the Eternals, and containing their collective power. The Marvel wiki says it can only be summoned by the "Prime Eternal." Following that link, the PE is a leader of the Eternals, and the wiki lists Zuras, Thena, and Ikaris.

Third... Sol -> Sun -> Icarus flew too close to the sun.

I think it's Ikaris. And Thena (or maybe Sersi? I keep seeing things that indicates Marvel considers her the lead of the movie) as a 5* for the release after that. Maybe if we're lucky they'll break the pattern of # of releases per movie and we'll get more of them, since this is an ensemble film (more likely we'll get the normal tie-ins, and another one or two like next summer if the movie is a hit, based on general reception of the characters).

The Uni-Mind is a psionic energy construct that is formed by The Eternals merging together - it contains not only their merged powers but also their combined wisdom and they normally only do it when they are looking at making huge decisions/seeking wisdom.
    In the comic books there were actually two branches of the Eternals - the ones who dwelt in Olympia and also the Polar Eternals - Thena was leader of the Olympia based ones and Ikaris of the Polar and both of them at some point were the "Prime Eternal" of the Earth based Eternals. Thena was however the de-facto leader of The Eternals as she was the daughter of Zuras (Zeus) - when the Eternals originally come to Earth leadership could not be decided between Zuras and his brother Alars. Alars leaves Earth to stop a costly conflict where he makes his home on a place called Titan (that might sound familiar) - Alars had two notable sons - Eros (also called Starfox) and another fella whose name escapes me...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Uni-Sol…universal solvent? In Chemistry that’s generally considered to be water. We’ve already got Namor, so maybe it stands for Universal Soldier. In that film, it is about reanimated super soldiers, but Brigade is an Image book, so that means it is probably Deathlok?