boosted 5* in pvp: how are you feeling about it after a few weeks

Comments

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    Wow, this Loki PvP is a total bloodbath lol. What an event to boost Panthos.
    There seems to be quite a lot of Panthos out there too, not a huge surprise to be fair though.
    My Thanos isn't even champed but boosted to 467 it didn't take long to slaughter Loki and Court Death is just hitting so hard with Apocalypse boosting it. No idea how this is going to end up.
    How do you figure that?  ;)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Kolence said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    There seems to be quite a lot of Panthos out there too, not a huge surprise to be fair though.
    My Thanos isn't even champed but boosted to 467 it didn't take long to slaughter Loki and Court Death is just hitting so hard with Apocalypse boosting it. No idea how this is going to end up.
    How do you figure that?  ;)

Lucky guess? :) Completely wrong! D'oh!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apocalypse's boost still works even when he's stunned?
  • DAZ0273
    edited June 2021
    Apocalypse's boost still works even when he's stunned?

I must have got confused then as yes, Apoc had no mutant team mate- not being familiar with Court Death's numbers at over 450 it seemed high. However, next event it will get boosted thanks to Nega, right? Or will Apocalypse get stunned despite having a mutant team mate? I really don't use 5* Thanos so how does this all work?
    Does Wiccan have the mutant tag as well?
    Not sure how the Northstar/new boost list will overlap?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    You need somebody with the Mutant tag in play to allow Shared Strength to boost 5* Court Death. My lvl 450 Thano5 is doing about double what it would do unboosted, so ~35k damage offensively and ~8700 self harm. I recently flipped my Loki and haven't re-champed him, so i'm floating in the 300pt range lol
  • DAZ0273
    My Loki is maxed whilst his dupe is heading up the champ levels but I haven't really gone too deep into the event yet, he is still a liability.
    Right, so next event is where even MORE PvP slaughter begins. A huge dunderhead on me otherwise! He still hits hard even without the boost with Loki as a sitting duck.
    As an aside - I wonder how many players may have decided against champing Negasonic and so be forced to use low level or loaner ones? It is not that uncommon to come across the essential at lower levels albeit flanked by more powerful characters but then we never had god boosted Thanos for everybody before - so it wasn't really an issue. I can imagine this getting pretty messy.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's coded so the stun part triggers first, so power boosters won't work because they get stunned before the damage goes off (Apocalypse works because he dodges the stun).  Strike tiles work normally though.  Also the friendly team damage can't be prevented or reduced by anything that I know of.

If you're just getting to use him for the first time, court death hits pretty hard even without a booster!  Thanos is really an aberration among the classic 5* in that he's remained pretty useful despite all the newer guys.  In CL9 and lower PvE, where court death can often wipe the entire node, he's still the king.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    Apacalypse is boosting it? I thought apocalypse didn't boost court death if he gets stunned by court death and since neither loki or thanos is a mutant he shouldn't have the stun immunity.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    Apacalypse is boosting it? I thought apocalypse didn't boost court death if he gets stunned by court death and since neither loki or thanos is a mutant he shouldn't have the stun immunity.

Read above - I made a mistake. :smile:
  • DAZ0273
    It's coded so the stun part triggers first, so power boosters won't work because they get stunned before the damage goes off (Apocalypse works because he dodges the stun).  Strike tiles work normally though.  Also the friendly team damage can't be prevented or reduced by anything that I know of.

If you're just getting to use him for the first time, court death hits pretty hard even without a booster!  Thanos is really an aberration among the classic 5* in that he's remained pretty useful despite all the newer guys.  In CL9 and lower PvE, where court death can often wipe the entire node, he's still the king.

From one source or another I suddenly found myself with a 4/5/2 Thanos who I had completely ignored previously as being too messy to use. I had completely forgotten about the stun. All of a sudden though that looks like it might be quite tasty so I bunged some iso into him so he boosts into champed range and then teaming him with Apoc from next event champed Nega should be quite fun. :) My only regret is I don't that Panther's cover for a workable Panthos. :(
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I'm in that boat with Panther, mine is 3/1/4 (470 shards) with a base level of 300, so I'm really not bringing him out either. In PVE I've been enjoying Boosted Hawkeye/Boosted Sinister/Diet Coulson though - funnel all your red through Hawkeye and all your Blue through Sinister and it's trap-tastic. 
  • Bergen
    Bergen Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2021
    it is a good change BUT:
    • the resource usage in pvp got higher; when meta chars get boosted it will be a huge resource hog, you need to give other means to get iso at least for new players (new i mean even 2-3 years will not be enough to level 4*s to champ) and health packs other than ridiculus 100 hp per health pack...
    • time spent got higher with same rewards; you need to adjust pvp progression accordingly, or after the enthusiasm gone away, it will greatly reduce new player participation.
    • your communication skills didnt improve!!!

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not having a single one boosted effective, I will endure it how I can waiting for my time to come.
    However panthos was not an issue for climbing although it reminds me pve scl10. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    PvP taking more time and using more health packs is the natural consequence of creating rock/paper/scissors counter-play.  If the strongest fastest characters have counters that actually work on defense, the game slows down significantly and you can't get by with using one meta team for every fight.

A lot of players ask for counters without understanding the implications of effective counters.  A subset of players really do want the game to be grindy, slow, resource-intensive, and strategic, but most players prefer a meta where the strongest team is very fast, is very weak on defense, is light on health pack use, and has no effective defensive counter.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    MrPlow said:
    I used to go grind for 75 wins but now it's just too much.  Unless they change it back I'm only doing 13 wins.  It's just not fun anymore and I'm also considering just quitting PVP completely.
    Yeah, I'm getting bored of it. I think it would have been better if they had just left the boost for PVE.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The current boost transported 5* players back to 2017, where Panthos was the meta.

Even back when I was playing in iHulkoye meta, I have never seen so many same set of meta team from 0 to 1200.  This pvp took longer time, which could be due to Thanos' massive health and BP's defensive passive that reduces damage and hits you back hard when he's back from being stunned. Thus, you are forced to store up aps to finish him on the same turn or next.

Fortunately, I was attacked only once while climbing up. The next pvp should be easier.  >:)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I was having decent luck climbing with Hawkeye/XFDP, but I also almost exclusively fought Panthos teams above 600 this time. I got to like 1189pts but just couldn’t quite get full progression.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2021
    There's a lot more variety in small 4* champ meta, but we didn't really need it to begin with (plenty of viable teams there with a healthy roshambo dynamic). More retals that aren't worth trying on because of ridiculous health... it's more diverse overall but the actual play experience hasn't changed all that much other than the wrong targets are eating my trapcakes, I just get to be mad that a god-boosted team of random 550s screwed up my climb rather than the usual suspects. Actual leaderboard hasn't changed at all, that comes down to tenacity and strategy (s5 degen here) more than anything.
    My experience with it has been pretty meh, if it's bringing more people back to PVP I consider that a good thing. I do feel bad for others in my alliance family who are having an awful time of it. I'm not sure if it's because they went pointed instead of wide on their rosters and now are struggling that they have to play the ACTUAL game (instead of just benefiting from BCs w/ hulkoye) without other team choices or that the god boost is indeed too high at 5* champ level.
    My instincts say to cut the boost in half and see if that keeps lapsed players playing, but the REAL goal in revitalizing PVP has to come from addressing the actually entirely broken MMR system to begin with. Move "visible to all" range from 800 to 1100, seal bash from 900 to 1200 for a start.
  • DAZ0273
    I had forgotten Star-Lord was boosted until I just came across a team with him now. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    I had forgotten Star-Lord was boosted until I just came across a team with him now. 
    I had to look at the boost list earlier to remember who the fourth boosted one was since I've only seen like three people use Star Lord the whole event.