***** Colossus (Phoenix Five) *****

Options

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thankfully my earlier analysis was wrong. Colossus’ Yellow also reduces match damage done to Colossus himself, not just his teammates. That makes it much better.
    I just tried this out.  This might make him a great character to use in challenge nodes.  He could open up a lot of teams when facing 5* match damage in challenge nodes.

in Sim and PVP I am not so sure, but in PVE I can see him saving a ton of health packs
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gravel said:
    IceIX said:
    Can someone please shine light on how this clue, “ Not Blue-Grey? Hmm”, relates to our new 5 star?
    It's a kind of double meaning, one a bit deeper than the other.
    1) He's not Dark Beast, who is blue-grey
    2) His metallic skin has properties of osmium (but isn't), which burns blue-grey. Since he's kind of on fire while using the Phoenix Force, interesting that his flames don't change color.
    Whoever came up with this "hint" must be Reed Richards, because those double meanings are a Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch lol.

I mean, the first interpretation could apply to literally anyone besides Dark Beast.  I hope the clue for the next character is just "It's not Dark Beast."  This one ranks up there with the Dr. Octopus clue from a long way back.
    We have the clue for the next character already: "Hey, it's a living..."  (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/84622/whats-new-mpq-updated-2-25-21/p1 )
    I assume that in some way this clue includes the meaning "It's not Colossus"
    Well using the opposite logic then not Colossus means squishy, 4* Uncle Ben?
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I assumed his blue would be limited to removing strike attack,  or protect tiles but the fact that @Thanos video shows it being used on brb blue countdown,  removing it and nipping it in the bud, makes his blue slightly more appealing.   Brb blue,  kitty red,   goon nuke tiles in pve that are in a spot that can't be matched away...
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes those are dangerous repeaters able to mess a battle. His blue is more useful now.
    AW without any buff can do great things without a team focused on him.
    A match damage team needs to cover at least one color more than AW and col5, and then each match will be a nuke.
    Or a character with cheap criticals or shuffling, better shuffling than cyclops. 
    Next phoenix five can be cruzial (but Im beting devs will release anyone unrelated next time just for trolling us :D )
  • Coolguy101084
    Coolguy101084 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks for the videos Thanos
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really like the idea of a Phoenix 5 team. As you can only use 3 at a time, you would just pick whichever 3 are the best counter to the opponents you are facing (e.g. destroying special tiles, ap blocking, whatever they decide the other 3 members will do)

While they likely won’t be meta by any stretch, I am hopeful that they will all synergise well with each other, just like the spider crew and the cage/fist combo.

As someone has said above, I think we all need to be cautiously optimistic for a character that ties them all together into a unit. For example, boosting yellow ap production so that cyclops can get colossus’ match damage as high as possible.

obviously each character is naturally going to have other characters in the game they work better with, but it’s nice to see them trying things
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can someone please shine light on how this clue, “ Not Blue-Grey? Hmm”, relates to our new 5 star?
    The Colossus of Rhodes was described to be a bluish gray ? 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanos said:
    If Colossus's blue were better he would be pretty decent. Cyclops would make a good partner but all his numbers need a rework.

It looked like Onslaught was the best partner to cascade match damage to glory.  Not sure about Cyclops in that video as a great character.  Maybe Colossus with Professor X and Onslaught?  
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I gotta assume all the Phoenix 5 are coming and they all are going to work somewhat in sync with each other. I can see the decent potential of these 2 together with the rainbow powers, I assume whoever we get next is going to have a active purple.

Colossus probably is going to work well with Charles, Iceman, OML and or rogue depending on how the numbers stack.

Also I could see him running well with Adam that's heavy match damage and some AOE.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If the rest of the P5 are coming, I hope that means we get a good 5* Frost and Namor.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Thanos
    Any chance you could try running Colossus with a charge tile spammer? Maybe with Adam Warlock and Black Bolt or 5torm? I'm curious if the missing piece of the Match Damage meta is the 300% damage you get from charge tiles, and maybe that explains why these characters have such high power costs as well.

You know, I've been playing for years and never knew charged tiles did triple damage until now. Always thought they just gave triple AP.
    KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I'm really wondering about the Throg synergy with Colossus - he creates enemy specials at a pretty decent clip on black, defends his bros (and Throg does alright at that anyway), and then Throg will flood a board with charged tiles real quick on his admittedly expensive green. I don't know if you want 5torm to feed Colossus's black, or Thor to feed Throg, or if the whole thing is a red herring, but I feel like I want it to be something. And since Throg will avoid Hulk's team-harm if you've matched a blue, I further wonder if this isn't an excuse to run iHulk at 5/5/3 maybe?
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I tried as many charged and crit tile combo's I could think of and none of them were all that spectacular. Colossus' match damage doesn't really start to shine until boosted by 5-Cyc's yellow one or more times. Also, Adam and Colossus don't make good teammates, they share two colors and Colossus tanks both.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Thanos said:
    I tried as many charged and crit tile combo's I could think of and none of them were all that spectacular. Colossus' match damage doesn't really start to shine until boosted by 5-Cyc's yellow one or more times. Also, Adam and Colossus don't make good teammates, they share two colors and Colossus tanks both.
    Right on; I was thinking glthat might turn out to be the case in the end. I’m still waiting to be impressed by the alleged Match Meta, just trying to think of ways to make it happen.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Use onslaught with America Chavez.

I run them with AW and he does WORK. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    On critical tiles these guys are doing 20k damage at the very least.
    KM is a great partner but its needed to cover more colors and to have cheap criticals.
    Yes onslaught and chavez can prove that.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    how much work are they doing compared to professor X with a board shaker you think? I’m curious how the damage per swipe averages out, but until one of those events with a preconfigured board starting condition lands again  it may be difficult to do a side by side comparison
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    These guy could work if next P5 (I imagine Emma) creates critical tiles or has massive board shake AND they also need to buff cyclops a bit. They need this board shake, so if his green was like Phoenix purple it would already be much better.

PS: Also noticed that sighclops green as it converts first special tiles, his green does nothing against OML or Phoenix other than disabling those strike tiles, which would be ok in another char, but not for someone that needs that board shake.

PS: I think they will not release 5 Phoenix chars, I think we will probably get 3 of them, but we will see I guess....