***** Colossus (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• AchillesPinky
    AchillesPinky Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    These new five stars seem to be so underwhelming, by the META standards, that I think the Phoenix Five will have some team mechanics involved to boost their powers the more members you have on your team.  I could see an added power in some form of the Phoenix or whatever (maybe amount of AP gathered)?
    Cyclops boosts teammates' match damages with his yellow, Colossus has increased match damage with his passive yellow.
    I'd like to know how those two powers interact.
    Kind of what I was thinking.  To expand a little - I think on their own, off the bat, their powers seem a little low comparative to the upper echelon 5*’s.  But if they have a team mechanic like Professor X, then I think their powers, when boosted by a team, could get wacky.  I’m sure the devs read the complaints and have something in store to turn those complaints on our heads.  IMHO.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:

Right now this meta is viable with cyclops and AW.
    This is a new meta that cannot be overlooked.
    Lol at Cyclops being the new meta. That’s a good one. You say it can’t be overlooked but I can guarantee you this pairing will have zero impact on PVP queues full of Hulkoye.

But then again, you also said Magneto would “shake the meta”, and we all saw how that turned out. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lol at Cyclops being the new meta. That’s a good one. You say it can’t be overlooked but I can guarantee you this pairing will have zero impact on PVP queues full of Hulkoye.

But then again, you also said Magneto would “shake the meta”, and we all saw how that turned out. 
    If people dont want to pull for them of course they will have zero impact.
    About magneto on this pvp I hit 1400 points with him taking no damage vs hulkoye teams. 
    Perhaps I was not so wrong lol.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    He is ok but I agree with other posts that it seems we will be due for more Phoenix Five and perhaps Sighclops and Colossus will see improvement from another member but still not sure what form that improvement will take.  

I wonder if you could do a 5clops, Okoye, and Valkyrie team.  

You would basically be generating 4 yellow AP every turn and firing Okoye's yellow power every other turn for cascades and her AP pool building.  Then you would just rely on Colossus match damage, Okoye red and Colossus black to kill the other team?  

I could also see 5clops being annoying if paired with a lower tier AP stealer, generator or destroyer. since he would protect them significantly from match damage.  
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    I like this character. He’s gonna be in front a lot and he’s gonna hit hard. His black power only costs 6 AP. Idk who said it’s better than GEDoom but I dont really see how. Colossus is gonna be in front quite a bit and those look like 2 hits and multiple hits are usually Apoc/Okoye approved. Which means he’ll do more damage than Doom with buffers. 

I wonder if you can target 2 tiles to remove on his blue. I hope the 2nd removal isn’t random.

This really looks like one of the better tanks for people who run 4*s vs those hard nodes in pve. 

I already like the thought of him with Rogue and ProfX. Or with Onslaught and America Chavez. 
    He will not be a good partner with Okoye with his match damage.  With Apoc why would you fire Colossus?  For 2 more AP you can do significantly more damage with those protect tiles out?  

In a vacuum comparing Colossus black to GED remember GED heals himself and steals black and yellow AP to accelerate His powers.  He also does not need to be in front to do full damage.  On an AP cost GED and Colossus will do similar damage, but when you take into consideration GED steals black and does the damage unconditionally I feel it is better.
    you’re gonna fire Collossus’ black because it costs almost a full match less than Apoc and it will come up sooner and you won’t have to wait 2 turns of a repeater to do the damage, which will be considerable. 

Doom’s black is a good nuke. Don’t get me wrong. But the conditions (9 AP vs 6AP) and drawbacks (Drain 1 green, red, and purple when firing) lean me towards giving the edge to Pete’s black. 
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2021
    Warbringa said:
    He is ok but I agree with other posts that it seems we will be due for more Phoenix Five and perhaps Sighclops and Colossus will see improvement from another member but still not sure what form that improvement will take.  

I wonder if you could do a 5clops, Okoye, and Valkyrie team.  

You would basically be generating 4 yellow AP every turn and firing Okoye's yellow power every other turn for cascades and her AP pool building.  Then you would just rely on Colossus match damage, Okoye red and Colossus black to kill the other team?  

I could also see 5clops being annoying if paired with a lower tier AP stealer, generator or destroyer. since he would protect them significantly from match damage.  

If you do a Cyclops, Okoye and Valkyrie team, where does Colossus fit in?
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    I wonder if his Yellow stacks with Rogue’s damage reduction.  That would be annoying to fight against.

especially if they made someone that’s effectively Half-Thor but who destroyed purple/blue/black every round.  
    I guess they couldn’t do that with blue, because it’s used so much for stuns.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rogue/Colossus/Profe$$or X would basically be immune to match damage and hyper annoying I pick 3 I bet.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think his value is actually on PvP defense to protect weaker characters who normally can be downed quickly through match damage but as to what real value that is, I don't know.  I mean maybe he works out to be a good PvP defensive deterrent which would have value but I am struggling to see it currently.  
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's the interesting challenge, I think.  As a 5* player, Match Damage doesn't (yet) scare me.  I really never worry about Match Damage but more on the specials/passive.  However, if there is a new approach where Match Damage is becoming a new meta, then 5Col may become very appealing.  DarkBeast in 4* land definitely can up Match Damage and the prevention of said damage may be good in the near future.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Enhanced match damage isn’t that new - Chavez and Ghost have been doing it, Talos, Jubilee, iHulk does it (though that is hardly what makes him dangerous), Juggernaut also. I’ll be curious to see if it’s a dead end power or not, but I’m not ready to call it a new meta. I mentioned it earlier, but he seems like a refined version of 5* Kingpin’s powers to me, and perhaps being passive rather than active will make all the difference? Either way I’m sure he will be a delight when he turns up on an all X-Man team in Simulator PVE
  • Bad
    It is a new meta in the way that they dont need to do anything to increase their match damage. And hence they are 5*.
    Now do you remember that boost at the bottom which says enhanced match damage and can be pressed x5 up to 100%?
    Someone could grab a calculator and say exactly how many turns could stand some guy versus those buddies, AW and col5 and cyclops firing his yellow just once.
    Because Id say it wont be too many.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    It’s a step in the direction of a new strong meta, and they been at it for a while and it seems more prevalent in the last bunch of releases.  But it’s lacking the character that ties it all together. And that provides counter to the current real meta.   Since they seem to be on this Phoenix Five, we might see that character come soon.  Might not.  But as of now, wait and see.  
    I am definitely gonna try to champ both him and Cyclops.  But that’s just my thing now since I seem to be able to earn enough resources to do that with new releases,  
    I was way more happy to see Colossus than Cyclops tho.

and I actually do appreciate Magneto, I think he’s fun.  But hardly a game changer.  

Edit: I would feel a lot more optimistic if Phoenix Five was an affiliation.  That would almost guarantee that we can expect something more.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,613 Chairperson of the Boards

Bad said:
    It is a new meta in the way that they dont need to do anything to increase their match damage. And hence they are 5*.
    Now do you remember that boost at the bottom which says enhanced match damage and can be pressed x5 up to 100%?
    Someone could grab a calculator and say exactly how many turns could stand some guy versus those buddies, AW and col5 and cyclops firing his yellow just once.
    Because Id say it wont be too many.

The problem might be that Colossus is not protected and so kill him and the others lose their protection also. In someways it reminds me a bit of Nico - she chucks out her shields (which she can boost) that protect her team mates but they do nothing for her - so you go after Nico and kill her. At least the shields get left behind. I like Adam Warlock anyway but he can be tricky to manage with his health levels which leave him being vulnerable to being nuked. So the team sounds decent on paper but is it going to be reliably consistent? Guess we have to wait and see. I mean you can match damage iHulk to death as many times as you like and he just keeps coming back, Okoye can heal, BRB/Kitty can spam shields and buff.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    It also does absolutely nothing to stop power damage, so this character is just as vulnerable to Hulk as anyone save for his giant health pool.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,613 Chairperson of the Boards
    It also does absolutely nothing to stop power damage, so this character is just as vulnerable to Hulk as anyone save for his giant health pool.

Right - however even a big health pool in 5* land is no guarantee of surviving multiple matches. My Apocalypse is usually out front and does a lot of the heavy lifting but he gets beaten up plenty too. However he has 3 great powers and so can usually get the job done before dying. Big C might have a lot of health but sometimes how quickly that gets mowed through is crazy - especially against teams like Onslaught/Prof X and a few cascades.

• Bad
    Strange sights buffed AW. I champed him and I will miss those 100 levels, but I can swear this match damage meta is really funny, if it was just for to watch the size of some nukes.
    With AW and KM, I fired KM red power and happened to create 2 balls near a black tile.
    I moved that and a brand untouched mindless one met his creator.
    189k health. So supposedly the real damage should be a bit more than that.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    You'll miss those 100 levels after the boost, I had the same impression of Heimdall during his run. Using his red with Shuri and Magik was doing ~110k damage, but as soon as that god-boost fell off, he's doing on a good swipe more like 45k damage. It's a significant drop. Check back in on Adam Warlock and the match damage meta after he falls out of latest, I'll be curious to hear how it's going.