***** Colossus (Phoenix Five) *****

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That does indeed change things a bit and makes him far more useful as a tank. It doesn't change anything else but coupled with the blue AP cost reduction being confirmed as 9 not 10 it is something.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Out of curiosity, do you have to play SCL 10 to be able to cover all the new latest characters before they fall into the classics void? 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Out of curiosity, do you have to play SCL 10 to be able to cover all the new latest characters before they fall into the classics void? 
    The more the better, and nothing gives more than scl10. But for champing all latest you must skip all the others stores.
    At least this is what I do.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So why, just out of annoyance factor alone, do i wanna run

Coloss5s/Rogue/Quake

Lol...  Slow fight, engage!
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So just to be clear a character is their own ally (Colossus negates match damage to himself) but a character is NOT their own teammate (Cyclops does not buff his own match damage with his yellow).

I guess there really is no i in teammate....
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    akboyce said:
    So just to be clear a character is their own ally (Colossus negates match damage to himself) but a character is NOT their own teammate (Cyclops does not buff his own match damage with his yellow).

I guess there really is no i in teammate....
    Unless you're OML, since his active black does not trigger his Red passive (when an ally fires a power, put down some strikes). His Yellow has wording that says "....other team member still in the fight" after his nerf, so we can't ever know for sure from that example.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The fact that colossus negates enemy match damage on himself as well makes him much more useful.  In SCL 10 PVE he could have some use in challenge nodes against all tile movers.  Even a single yellow cover will make him useful in the unleveled 5* or single champ 5* MMRs against Kitty teams.

His blue is still trash even for 9 AP with it's low removal and useless damage.  And it requires an enemy special to fire.  It would be much more useful if it would let you target any basic OR enemy special tile so you could at least generate some board shake or get a crucial green tile off the board if there are no enemy specials.  With no AOE in his kit I guess it could be helpful against invisibility tile makers. (Are there any in the 5* tier? Onslaught is trap based, BSSM is enemy stun based, and Yellowjacket is tileless...)

His black is still a good nuke considering he'll be in front a lot and feeds the condition to fire his blue if you don't have a useful blue user.

He doesn't protect against iHulk and his removal isn't enough against BRBitty so he won't be very relevant in the current 5* PVP meta.  But I have hope for maybe some interesting synergy if there are other Phoenix force 5* in the next releases, and that the latest pool will be worth pulling once Sighclops is pushed out.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I mentioned it in a different thread, but his Blue is comparable to Rescue’s for damage/AP, but hers is light years better for turning unstolen enemy specials into a useful color.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX said:
    Can someone please shine light on how this clue, “ Not Blue-Grey? Hmm”, relates to our new 5 star?
    It's a kind of double meaning, one a bit deeper than the other.
    1) He's not Dark Beast, who is blue-grey
    2) His metallic skin has properties of osmium (but isn't), which burns blue-grey. Since he's kind of on fire while using the Phoenix Force, interesting that his flames don't change color.
    Whoever came up with this "hint" must be Reed Richards, because those double meanings are a Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch lol.
    It seems you needed a degree in chemistry to riddle this one!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I drive a car whose color is Osmium Gray Metallic, and it’s true, that color is somehow both and neither blue nor grey...
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX said:
    Can someone please shine light on how this clue, “ Not Blue-Grey? Hmm”, relates to our new 5 star?
    2) His metallic skin has properties of osmium (but isn't), which burns blue-grey. Since he's kind of on fire while using the Phoenix Force, interesting that his flames don't change color.
    Whoever came up with this "hint" must be Reed Richards, because those double meanings are a Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch lol.

I mean, the first interpretation could apply to literally anyone besides Dark Beast.  I hope the clue for the next character is just "It's not Dark Beast."  This one ranks up there with the Dr. Octopus clue from a long way back.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2021
    Options
    gravel said:
    IceIX said:

I mean, the first interpretation could apply to literally anyone besides Dark Beast.  I hope the clue for the next character is just "It's not Dark Beast."  This one ranks up there with the Dr. Octopus clue from a long way back.
    We have the clue for the next character already: "Hey, it's a living..."  (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/84622/whats-new-mpq-updated-2-25-21/p1 )
    I assume that in some way this clue includes the meaning "It's not Colossus"
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Maybe it's Krakoa, The Living Island? Sauron is the only other dinosaur related Marvel character I can think up, since we already have a 4* Devil Dinosaur.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Maybe it's Krakoa, The Living Island? Sauron is the only other dinosaur related Marvel character I can think up, since we already have a 4* Devil Dinosaur.
    Ego the living planet?  I would say that was too long ago for them to reference guardians 2 but if they can go all the way back to the first antman movie for yellowjacket....
    There's also morbius the living vampire.  Wasn't he supposed to have a movie coming out?
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah, Morbius at one point was supposed to come out March 19.  So it could be similar to how we got Red Guardian and Yelena when Black Widow was delayed.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Everyone seems high on the match damage thing, which is nice, but Britty is still a thing.

I'm not impressed.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Anon said:
    Everyone seems high on the match damage thing, which is nice, but Britty is still a thing.

I'm not impressed.
    I guess it's too soon to tell if these match damage multipliers will do to that pairing what apocalypse did for Okoye/Sabretooth, and sort of combine them down into a single character that doesn't have the same upper limit scalability, but do a lesser amount sooner and more often such that it's effectively better, at least situationally? I'm not sure i'm bought in either tbh.

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You'll miss those 100 levels after the boost, I had the same impression of Heimdall during his run. Using his red with Shuri and Magik was doing ~110k damage, but as soon as that god-boost fell off, he's doing on a good swipe more like 45k damage. It's a significant drop. Check back in on Adam Warlock and the match damage meta after he falls out of latest, I'll be curious to hear how it's going.
    I have used AW for quite a few weeks since I champed him. Even without the boost, his match damage is very useful, he hits very hard. Even a match-4 is great, even better if you can get him some crits or someone that adds his colors (Domino, C&D, Elsa).

Colossus will hit even harder but he doesnt heal, very little damage from matches though. He might be quite good.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime said:
    I like this character. He’s gonna be in front a lot and he’s gonna hit hard. His black power only costs 6 AP. Idk who said it’s better than GEDoom but I dont really see how. Colossus is gonna be in front quite a bit and those look like 2 hits and multiple hits are usually Apoc/Okoye approved. Which means he’ll do more damage than Doom with buffers. 

I wonder if you can target 2 tiles to remove on his blue. I hope the 2nd removal isn’t random.

This really looks like one of the better tanks for people who run 4*s vs those hard nodes in pve. 

I already like the thought of him with Rogue and ProfX. Or with Onslaught and America Chavez. 
    He will not be a good partner with Okoye with his match damage.  With Apoc why would you fire Colossus?  For 2 more AP you can do significantly more damage with those protect tiles out?  

In a vacuum comparing Colossus black to GED remember GED heals himself and steals black and yellow AP to accelerate His powers.  He also does not need to be in front to do full damage.  On an AP cost GED and Colossus will do similar damage, but when you take into consideration GED steals black and does the damage unconditionally I feel it is better.
    you’re gonna fire Collossus’ black because it costs almost a full match less than Apoc and it will come up sooner and you won’t have to wait 2 turns of a repeater to do the damage, which will be considerable. 

Doom’s black is a good nuke. Don’t get me wrong. But the conditions (9 AP vs 6AP) and drawbacks (Drain 1 green, red, and purple when firing) lean me towards giving the edge to Pete’s black. 
    For Colossus black vs Apoc I am going to say hard no.  You might fire it every once in a while as a kill shot for 30K damage if Colossus is in fron but that will be rare.  My Apoc black currently will do 98k damage.  That will be about 50k more damage for 1AP.