Festival of Fights the Second

Ares76
Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
In a few hours the first slice of the Festival of Fights PvP begins. I am anticipating it a lot because this "one on one" PvP is something very special in MPQ that needs a lot of strategy. No Hulkoye or BRBitty on autopilot here. You have to chose the right counter for the opposing character and you sure will be eating a lot of health packs (glad that we were given 10 health packs as a gift today).
I know that a lot of people disliked it on the first run but with 24 more character available than last year we hopefully will be seeing a lot more diversity this time.
A lot of people in five-star-land were running Doctor Doom, JJ, Profe$$or and LumberCap last year and were doing fine. But a lot of heavy-hitters were released in the last twelve months that I think will crush the former champions of this PvP. I am thinking of Apocalypse, Beta Ray Bill (who technically was still there but so new that nobody had him champed) and even Killmonger and Heimdall come to mind.
Some new chars seem not be fitted for a one on one at first look like Immortal Hulk (who will not revive alone) or Onslaught (if I am remembering correctly that there were not team-up tiles?). And are the numbers of Samurai Daken or Deadpool (no stuns allowed) be enough to pose a threat?
What do you think of this PvP? Who are you planning to use in this event aside from the obvious Apocalypse? And do you (if you are a 5-star-player) think they shoud make a similar PvP with only four-stars allowed like the Class of 20xx-PvPs?  

Comments

• grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    JJ was my go to for a long time so she’s a possibility, I’ve got apocalypse champed along with BRB, killmonger and deadpool so those are all probably gonna be in some kind of rotation to conserve health packs. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't like playing this one at all, but I do like when they shake things up. I guess that means I'm conflicted. But since they run it so infrequently, I lean towards it being cool and fun.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    Apocalypse will be the fan favourite. Some other potentials are Yelena, Deadpool and Killmonger. All three are good deterrents. BRB and Carbage are also possible.

As for the rest, 
    OMD is flimsy.
    Onslaught is close to useless.
    Running IHulk is suicidal, but his red damage can be a big deterrent.
    AI doesn't know how to play Heimdall. Sinister is too slow alone.
    Magneto is not seeing any play.
    Adam Warlock is still new, but he has potential, after playing with his PvP.

I will probably use Carbage as a deterrent.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Just played to 16 wins after having the luck of getting 10 seed teams:-)
    Saw a lot of Professor X, Apocalypse and Beta Ray Bill but also some niche characters such Black Bolt and Doctor Strange (no stuns allowed?). I skipped no one. Beat Apocalypse with my own Apocalypse and also tested my Killmonger who really suprised me with his red and purple punch. Also did one Lumbercap against Doom match for old times' sake.
    Tomorrow I will try more Professor X since I hadn't champed him last year and he is now my second higest character a level 458.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    OMD will probably walk on Carbage, but not too many others. 

Onslaught is great at 5/3/5 - go invisible and create cascades all day on blue. If somebody is using a special tile maker all the better.

• Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker

Onslaught is great at 5/3/5 - go invisible and create cascades all day on blue. If somebody is using a special tile maker all the better.

With no TUs Onslaught is useless.
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2020
    Heimdall is underrated in this event. 

I will try others.

LumberCap is great special mention.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Loosie said:

With no TUs Onslaught is useless.
    Set him to 5/3/5 and try it, I’ve been cleaning up.
  • Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 171 Tile Toppler
    I love this PVP 1 on 1. no Grocklaris no Polaris and Medusa no Polaris and Sabertooth just Polaris by herself. A nice break.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    I put Thor against a 420 ProfX. I won but when I had enough green for a GoT, the AI started to cascade again and again and I watched Thors numbers go down violently. Stop, stooppp. It stopped at ~9000 health and I could make a red match and end it. Scary.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Glockoma said:

I will try others.

How are you using Heimdall? 
  • Bobdvol
    Bobdvol Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    I love this event.  Would love to see a combined arms type of it also. I think that is the name of it??? Where everyone is equal.. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. I'm guessing Thor would dominate, or maybe the Professor. I really hope devs do this someday. 
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just tried America Chavez and got DESTROYED by 5-star BP. Going for Beardy Cap...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Man; I kept queuing up a 550 Profe$$or X and getting stomped lol; not sure why he was showing up in my MMR, since my own low 460s Prof is my highest character, but oh well.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bobdvol said:
    I love this event.  Would love to see a combined arms type of it also. I think that is the name of it??? Where everyone is equal.. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. I'm guessing Thor would dominate, or maybe the Professor. I really hope devs do this someday. 
    Combined Arms is where you have to use characters from different tier levels. I think you are thinking of Balance of Power where everybody is 550 or whatever it is.
  • J0nnythejig
    J0nnythejig Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    shardwick said:
    Glockoma said:

I will try others.

How are you using Heimdall? 
    I’m running mine at 3/5/5 to mitigate damage as 33% deflection makes him really durable (his true heal is alright - makes no difference on 3 or 4) and his red does decent enough damage.  

Not sure he’s much of a deterrent and someone correctly said AI probably makes poor use of him but offensively he’s pretty strong (and >70k health)
  • DAZ0273
    I like this one also and it shows those characters who can stand on their own. I am seeing lots of Apocalypse, Doom and Prof X. Sadly my Jesus Cap is too undercovered to have much fun here or else I would have enjoyed his red finisher a lot. Having just finished Apocalypse it is too hard to resist taking him out and stomping people but I am also thinking my Cable could self fuel himself to maybe be worth having some fun with. He will be the last of the 6 I am going to transition with to get champed and probably has a bunch of benchwarming to do in his future but might as well use him here to see how good/bad he is.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    I like this one also and it shows those characters who can stand on their own. I am seeing lots of Apocalypse, Doom and Prof X. Sadly my Jesus Cap is too undercovered to have much fun here or else I would have enjoyed his red finisher a lot. Having just finished Apocalypse it is too hard to resist taking him out and stomping people but I am also thinking my Cable could self fuel himself to maybe be worth having some fun with. He will be the last of the 6 I am going to transition with to get champed and probably has a bunch of benchwarming to do in his future but might as well use him here to see how good/bad he is.
    I considered fielding Cable, but the lack of stunning deterred me.
  • DAZ0273
    MegaBee said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I considered fielding Cable, but the lack of stunning deterred me.
    I have to say that Cable did win but it was a bit scary in my match against Prof X, I am not sure how viable he is over multiple matches unless your opponent is a bit Weaker. The stun would have been really nice.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    Glockoma said:

I will try others.

Took a couple Ls from your Heimdall. I have one of my own, but I haven’t figured out how to use him as effectively apparently.