**** Throg (Puddlegulp) ****

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    His yellow talks about sending allies airbourne and then having the effects when they return but will it also fire if an ally goes airbourne from their own power? Crazilly, if Throg's damage reduction is enough to keep him alive and hopping, then might he work with 5* Mags? I know Mags can't double dip on being thrown airbourne by Throg but perhaps Throg can double dip upon Mags landing so Mags damage + Throg's healing and damage all hits? Probably not but I would like to find something to help Mags out!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    The destroying of charged tiles will work even if Vulture or Black Cat goes airborne on their own because that part of that ability is placed under passive ability.  However, the healing part needs to be fired.

(PASSIVE) When an ally returns from being Airborne, destroy all Charged tiles in their strongest color, dealing 611 damage per tile destroyed. This power costs 1 AP less for each color of Charged tile on the board (to a minimum of 3; destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP.) (Max level 902 health, 1191 damage)
  • DAZ0273
    Well there you go, Mags is saved! ;)
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,714 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Are you saying the 4/3/1 Mags I have right now MIGHT actually serve a purpose?! :D
  • DAZ0273
    PiMacleod said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Are you saying the 4/3/1 Mags I have right now MIGHT actually serve a purpose?! :D

Yeah, I might not go that far...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    Hey may actually play well with Wiccan, who can seriously benefit from a charge tile spammer to get his Demiurge threshold over the cap faster. I can also see him working some kind of way with Namor, who adds blue to the board and can also blow up big fork-shaped chunks of it, but then I was thinking why might anyone use Namor when they could use 4* Iceman to add blue to the board and ALSO actually be good?
  • DAZ0273
    Yeah, I mean 2* Magneto can add blue to the board and also blow up big chunks of it, no need for Namor here unless some fish need rescuing.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,714 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey may actually play well with Wiccan, who can seriously benefit from a charge tile spammer to get his Demiurge threshold over the cap faster. I can also see him working some kind of way with Namor, who adds blue to the board and can also blow up big fork-shaped chunks of it, but then I was thinking why might anyone use Namor when they could use 4* Iceman to add blue to the board and ALSO actually be good?
    As long as Wiccan is doing your matching, right?  If i remember correctly, he only makes those line-clearing match 3s if HE's the one doing it.  If so, this insinuates you're not using any 5* on your team.

But on the plus side, if all of that is true, could be fun with Throg/Negasonic/Wiccan.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2020
    Depends on your 5* whether or not they'll tank him, but all the ones that want charge tiles on the board probably tank at least 2 of his colors, yeah. My 299 Wiccan tanks blue over my 457 5torm, same with 5* Lord and Bolt, and he overlaps totally with Cable so that's a wash. I agree that Throg/Negasonic/Wiccan is probably going to be the "spider-fam"of the 4* tier for charged tiles. Maybe there's a G4mora play in there somewhere, since Deadliest Woman treats charged purple tiles as "friendly specials."  

I definitely want to run 5torm/Throg/Negasonic just to see how long the cascades are going to run.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’ve never actually heard of Throg. Seems silly, but hey so does a pig, duck, dog, etc...

Im happy for those who where longing for yet another Thor variant, but could we please see some variety? There are so many classic and highly requested characters that this is just a weird direction to go in IMHO. 

Oh well, I’ll champ him and hope he works well.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    jp1 said:
    I’ve never actually heard of Throg. Seems silly, but hey so does a pig, duck, dog, etc...

Im happy for those who where longing for yet another Thor variant, but could we please see some variety? There are so many classic and highly requested characters that this is just a weird direction to go in IMHO. 

Oh well, I’ll champ him and hope he works well.
    TBH I don't even count Throg as a Thor variant. He's from the Thor comics, yes, but he's an entirely different dude.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    The mechanic of sending your team airborne while he has matched blue tiles to prevent damage is an interesting if niche combo.  It is one of the first airborne mechanics that makes sense with his power set (other than Vulture).  Use it to avoid large upcoming team damage powers etc as long as you have made enough blue matches etc.

If he can be  played with 5Thor then you will get a ton of blue matches available because 5Thor eats up all the red/yellow/green tiles too.  When 5Thor is at less than half health some of those AoE powers can be deadly so I could actually see him working as a third with Thorkoye as a special tile remover and protector of 5Thor.  
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Only problem being he's then healing your half health Thor, but yeah could be a good team
  • DAZ0273
    He seems full of potential though, eh? I am quite excited to try him out.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 341 Mover and Shaker
    Does "Send your team airborne" mean he goes too?
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apologies if this has been answered but is there confirmation whether or not Throg is considered a Limited Release (and/or Special) like Taskmaster and Devil Dinosaur?
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I’m not sure if this tells you anything, but I looked back at the past character announcements. Both Taskmaster and Spider-Ham indicated they were limited in the announcement, but I did not see any such reference in the announcements for Devil Dinosaur or Howard the Duck.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Devil D and Howard may have been changed to Limited along with Bagman and Yelena who didn’t start out that way; I don’t recall.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Both Dino and Howard started as limited. They have never been in the regular packs or stores, or however it's called, with all the rest of the characters.
    Well, Dino started as a loaner 1-star in that one pve node, first. And possibly as an enemy in some Gauntlet nodes? But as a recruitable character, as a limited 4-star for 1st anniversary.