**** Throg (Puddlegulp) ****

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m about that charge tile life, I’m looking forward to this one. Negasonic/This Character/Onslaught is going to be a cascade conundrum in simulator.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mr_F said:
    @Mr_F There you go.  Make me figure out how to do this just cause you want to be difficult :smile:

You know me: I "forced" people to play and/or chase 5*Wasp.
    Seriously. Stop being so belligerent. It does not help anyone at all.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2020
    Is there a possibility that he is going to be a limited character? 
    That would be disappointing if he is actually a good counter against Polaris- teams.
    Spider-Ham was also released this time of the year. 
    And this kind of animal characters (dinosaur, duck, pig, frog) often happen to be limited.
    That would also mean that he will not feed a five-star. 
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Mr_F said:
    @Mr_F There you go.  Make me figure out how to do this just cause you want to be difficult :smile:

You know me: I "forced" people to play and/or chase 5*Wasp.
    Seriously. Stop being so belligerent. It does not help anyone at all.

Take it easy, stretch. The fact that I regually strongly defend my point of view does not mean I am gonna "fight" everytime and everywhere I could with all the might I can.

Also point taken as I understand what ya wanted to say.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2020
    I really don't see a point in "limited" characters in the first place so I sure hope Throg isn't. I've only been playing since march but I think they've done a good job of handling seasonal hype with limited events, some seasonal shuffling of this or that and limited stores and sales. We've already got "worse" characters full-time in the various tiers so holding some as a novelty just doesn't make much sense unless you're trying to annoy newer players who will roster them and not be able to advance them ever?

I think the only actually full "bad" limiteds are Bagman and DevD so shouldn't we just do away with the distinction in general? Heck, Bagman still has uselessness in tier akin to Moonstar (her tools just don't do anything worthwhile in 2*) and DevD can't be much worse than Talos. Alternately Tasky is a beast and a bunch of fun to find how you want to train him, Howard can maybe cheese some high lvl shield trainings and Ham... he gave me an LL with only 2 covers this week, so that's something too, right?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    I too fear that Throg may end up limited but I hope not.

Devil Dinosaur can at least be a meat shield. Bag Man has maybe one useful ability but it is very niche but extending friendly countdowns can work in certain circumstances Kate Bishop & Maria Hill spring to mind.
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Frog Thor is very welcome but please address the Captain Marvel Galactic Warrior silent nerf, she now requires a rebuild on the devs part.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Ham is the most useless character to me; at least Devil D has that majestic smoking jacket.
  • Sithforever
    Sithforever Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Limited?! Hope not starting to hoard for champing Scorpion and then this one. 
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:

Devil Dinosaur can at least be a meat shield. Bag Man has maybe one useful ability but it is very niche but extending friendly countdowns can work in certain circumstances Kate Bishop & Maria Hill spring to mind.

So, Bag man wasn't always limited. They realised he (and 1star yelena) sucked so bad they removed them from the token pool.  you're right, that is his only power, but it can also do either enemy or your own tiles. There are a few countdowns you WANT on the board (Spiderwoman/Colosus/Iceman/kittypryde/cable/deadpool/C&D/mystique/strange etc ), but otherwise he's a joke.

I agree that Limited characters are a waste of time, so would REALLY prefer not having them. with that in mind tho - the majority of 4star characters I only use ones a year anyway, so limited just means it'll take forever to champ them :(
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omegased said:
    DAZ0273 said:

So, Bag man wasn't always limited. They realised he (and 1star yelena) sucked so bad they removed them from the token pool.  you're right, that is his only power, but it can also do either enemy or your own tiles. There are a few countdowns you WANT on the board (Spiderwoman/Colosus/Iceman/kittypryde/cable/deadpool/C&D/mystique/strange etc ), but otherwise he's a joke.

I agree that Limited characters are a waste of time, so would REALLY prefer not having them. with that in mind tho - the majority of 4star characters I only use ones a year anyway, so limited just means it'll take forever to champ them :(

Yeah I remember, the Yelena one was still a head scratcher though - I mean 100 iso is 100 iso.
    Spider-Ham is the only current Limited character I can't or haven't already champed and is right on the edge in terms of covers so he will get done. S-H is 2 years old so it makes me think that the Devs might be thinking it is time for a new one.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,714 Chairperson of the Boards
    well, with Spider-Ham, didnt they just TELL us he was limited from the get-go?  I don't remember any sense of "not-knowing"...

It was the sort of thing that was in the preview, i think.

Anyways, here's hoping it's not limited.  There's not a SINGLE limited character that's meta, or even strong.  Sure, Howard has some niche uses, and Taskmaster can be fun in the right teams, but neither would be unstoppable at max champ levels, so I see no reason to even have the "Limited" tag anyways.

An alliance mate thinks of them as "joke" characters.  While Spider-Ham and Bag-Man both kinda fit the bill (ha, there's a pun in there!), Yelena and Taskmaster aren't really joke characters.  I say all this to really point out "Why does the limited tag even exist anymore?"  If they aren't a joke, if they aren't too strong, ...what's the point of making a certain character any harder to collect, when at the end of the day, we'll all just shrug our shoulders and keep on grinding away the characters that DO matter?

....  was still hoping that this was Toad, btw.  ;)  But hey, I'll take a potential BRB feeder!
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Omegased said:
    So, Bag man wasn't always limited. They realised he (and 1star yelena) sucked so bad they removed them from the token pool.  you're right, that is his only power
    I read this as, "Bagman's only power is not being in token pools" and thought, "wow, that's spot on".
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I’m still hoping to find a use for Bagman’s ability to extend the shelf life of a friendly CD, but I’m not super hopeful in this post-Circuit Breaker world. 
  • PiMacleod
    I’m still hoping to find a use for Bagman’s ability to extend the shelf life of a friendly CD, but I’m not super hopeful in this post-Circuit Breaker world. 
    I'd find it funny if they buff'd him up, but only to a semi-usable state, where he STILL gets obliterated, but its fun.

Would make it more useful to have such limited characters, just for fun value.  Maybe rework him with new abilities, since Circuit Breaker is a thing.  Maybe something along the lines of more locked tiles, and make HIS locks look like paper bags with eye-holes.  It'd be funny!

After all -- locked tiles are STILL a thing, and while they don't do a lot right NOW, its another playstyle that we haven't seen touched on in a long time.  They could do a lot with it, if they wanted.  "Damage per Locked Tile", "Target all X tiles, lock them", "Reduce AP costs per locked color", "Increase damage per locked tile"... so many ways to fly with it, and I could see a Bag-Man rework being a funny way to usher it all in.... 

...at a 2* level.  :smiley:

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2020
    All Bag-Man's powers are 4ap too much, otherwise I’d run him like he is lol; you need a battery to do anything.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some points here: 
    - not sure is he is going to be limited. He has a good antimeta counter, limiting him would render him impactless in the game. He already does low damage so limiting him would left him unselectable on pvp.
    - surely sharing same colours is a thing a lot of feeders dont reflect, so as a rule has its flaws, and another time if he is limited it would not make a good feeder
    - please not meta lock tiles. It slow the game to the infinite
    Considering those points my guess is that he is not going to be limited and not a feeder because he is too new.
  • PiMacleod
    Curious... why do people say that "locked" tiles are slow for the game?

It doesn't take any extra time (unless the animation to create them makes it so)...
    And if you can't match the tiles, the game just does it's board shuffle.  I've honestly used that to FORCE a board shuffle with a Bag-Man team up before (locking the only viable match).

If anything, I think it's nice puzzley option, and if a set of abilities could be created around it, you could feasibly lock out other tactics...  (i.e. locking enough greens so that iHulk can't use the door, or locking s/a/p tiles so it'd be harder for Polaris to get a match, or maybe there's 2 match 4s, so you lock one of them and take the other yourself).

I'd love to know why it'd be slow, besides limiting others choices -- which only results in board shuffle if at all.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I think tile lockers make it so you can't as rapidly look at a board and find matches? I don't know, I kind of like it. I wish Wa5p was better, she could be a real headache (in a good way) if she was spamming out swarm tiles the way Loki spams countdowns.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Playing in scl10 locked tiles limit the play meanwhile AI can get stronger if having a goon, or taking advantage on superior match damage.
    On puzzley modes could be nice.
    But a character relying on meta locked tiles usually should go to bottom tier being skippable to all players.