***** Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) *****

Options

Comments

• MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    He looks like he is going to struggle in the 5E nodes in CL10 even when he is champed and boosted. Sigh.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ironically this is the first character I’ve scored in his opening vault , Dauntless. As a silver lining I guess I can skip him when he gets to LL.  I tried his blue with 12 yellow , I believe there were successive hits until the character was down but it didn’t go to the next character with hits remaining. I could be wrong .
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To top it all off we have weird things going on with his hands again, like we did with Elsa.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yellow - Mag's costs 6 AP, Tony's costs 12 AP

Ok, here I don't know whose is worse. Mag's tile conversion is random, unlike Rescue's for example. The passive is quite decent, boosting your Protect tiles by a fraction that's dependent on X-Men teammates. Still, Poccy's Red exists, which laughs at this particular passive. Likewise Kitty's Purple. Opposition Polaris, Carbage and Daken will eventually overcome the Protects. And I'm not sure if the Protect tile boost is in effect when Mags is airborne.

Why is it that we remember Daken for SAP tile removal, but Yelena's green often gets left out of the mix?  Just curious.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Recency effect, I guess? 

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

Ok, here I don't know whose is worse. Mag's tile conversion is random, unlike Rescue's for example. The passive is quite decent, boosting your Protect tiles by a fraction that's dependent on X-Men teammates. Still, Poccy's Red exists, which laughs at this particular passive. Likewise Kitty's Purple. Opposition Polaris, Carbage and Daken will eventually overcome the Protects. And I'm not sure if the Protect tile boost is in effect when Mags is airborne.

Why is it that we remember Daken for SAP tile removal, but Yelena's green often gets left out of the mix?  Just curious.

because daken's red is better at the task than yelena's green?  OMD's red costs less, removes more tiles, can never hurt you by fueling a dangerous enemy power (e.g., DON'T use yelena's green when brb controls the enemy's strongest/weakest color), and both do relatively low damage (though yelena has the advantage of being aoe).
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

Variety of factors I believe.

The Wolverine family (Logan, Akihiro, Laura) are all known for having something to do with Strike tiles (4* Wolverine’s Green used to create Strike tiles). So we already have that association. OMD’s Red is just the latest of that trio be linked to Strike tiles. Daken creates them as a result of removing enemy SAP tiles. We think of the word “Daken”, we immediately think of Strike tiles, due to the 2* and 3* versions creating them passively. So naturally “Daken” and “Strike tiles” are inevitably linked.

As for Yelena, the 5* version is known for her schtick of destroying enemy AP and dealing damage for that, followed by her meh trap tile ability because it does nothing if you match your own traps. And...that’s it. Her Green ability is mostly forgotten about, partially because of the absolutely rubbish AoE damage, but mostly because the Black Widow family (Natasha and Yelena) are not usually associated with SAP tiles. None of the five Natashas or 1* Yelena have anything to do with SAP tiles.

To link this back to Mags so we don’t end up veering off-topic: 5* Yelena is wayyy better than Mags.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If he is one of the worst, I wonder why cosmic chaos, a really hard pve, was so tight to get into top 100. It must be a lot of players dont use to read the forum.
    I agree that his blue could have a tweak for making more competitive on pvp. Like being always 2 turns airborne.
    The others 2 powers I think they are ok. Description of him says: plan the perfect time to strike with magneto. I agree.
  • PiMacleod
    Options

To link this back to Mags so we don’t end up veering off-topic: 5* Yelena is wayyy better than Mags.
    i lol'd.
  • Bad
    Options
    Sharp dressed was really competitive too, but dont mind me.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Bad said:
    If he is one of the worst, I wonder why cosmic chaos, a really hard pve, was so tight to get into top 100. It must be a lot of players dont use to read the forum.
    I agree that his blue could have a tweak for making more competitive on pvp. Like being always 2 turns airborne.
    The others 2 powers I think they are ok. Description of him says: plan the perfect time to strike with magneto. I agree.
    The reason cosmic chaos was so competitive was because Okoye was boosted.  This made CL10 extremely easier.  Also with the better you do in the release you can get one cover for Mags with Shards before he is essential in PVE instead of pulling from his cover store or latest legendary store when he enters.

lastly CL10 has been significantly more competitive since it has gone to a 3 clear open 2 clear close.  The time needed to clear CL10 and CL9 is about the same.  I saw some people in my alliance close Cosmic Chaos in 19 min in CL10.

This is all true.  But it may also be that Mags is a very popular Marvel character, and players sometimes chase favorites (even when they are ****).
  • Bad
    Options
    Sharp dressed gave magneto shards.
    An okoye level 500 has 85k health. 100 level buffed more should put her in 100k more or less. It should be that a character with 100k health can widstand the attacks of so many kitty and px level 600, no matter how much speed completing the nodes could have.
    Because it was needed to clear all nodes and struggle on that pve.
    Now webbed wonder sub 1 was pretty easy to rank, altough fighting less hyper hard characters. And giving ghospool shards.
    It must be my imagination surely.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    wymtime said:
    Bad said:
    The reason cosmic chaos was so competitive was because Okoye was boosted.  This made CL10 extremely easier.  Also with the better you do in the release you can get one cover for Mags with Shards before he is essential in PVE instead of pulling from his cover store or latest legendary store when he enters.

lastly CL10 has been significantly more competitive since it has gone to a 3 clear open 2 clear close.  The time needed to clear CL10 and CL9 is about the same.  I saw some people in my alliance close Cosmic Chaos in 19 min in CL10.

This is all true.  But it may also be that Mags is a very popular Marvel character, and players sometimes chase favorites (even when they are ****).
    It can be because he is popular.  Also just being a new release 5* in general.  I also know multiple people in my alliance were going to skip CL10 as a new release character because of the difficulty then saw Okoye was buffed and said why not.  5* new releases is just more beneficial to go CL10 than CL9.  For a 4* you can cover the 4* going to a lower CL sometimes easier than CL10.  I know for me Cosmic Chaos felt a lot easier with Okoye buffed
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    Same here.  we had many people do SCL 10 for Cosmic Chaos... mainly because Okoye was boosted, and that's a gimme in itself.  Also, Polaris just EXISTING has made more people in my alliance ready to jump up.

Magneto adds to this, due to his own popularity as a character, and due to being brand new... the new shiny is always valuable.  Us gamers are like that, sadly.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 571 Critical Contributor
    Options

So i've been hoarding, and currently was planning to pull for Deadpool/Mags/New. I just can't fathom what they were thinking creating Mag5.

His powers are the absolute OPPOSITE of synergy. His Blue power LITERALLY makes his red completely useless (which, to be fair, is **** anyway. 2 turn unfortified countdowns are insane).

on top of this - the blues reliance on Yellow is too strong. if you happen to fire your blue, and you don't have any yellow - there's NO damage. It's literally 10 blue AP, for a little board shuffle.

He's absolutely useless on his own, and a waste of time as a third.

The ways I would improve him would be;

Blue - Base damage of X, then extra damage based on yellow AP. AT THE VERY LEAST, allow repeaters to continue to work while airborne (this on it's own would make him much more dangerous).

Yellow - Keep as is. you're probably not going to fire this if you're using blue

Red - 1 turn, single fortified repeater tile (instead of 2, 2 turns).

• Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ironically this is the first character I’ve scored in his opening vault , Dauntless. As a silver lining I guess I can skip him when he gets to LL.  I tried his blue with 12 yellow , I believe there were successive hits until the character was down but it didn’t go to the next character with hits remaining. I could be wrong .
    I’m pretty sure his hits carry over.  I used his blue a couple times to finish off Thorkoye matches with two people still standing.  I would’ve finished anyway because by that time Thor already has his green charged up.  Just wanted to see what would happen.

the power I like best is his red. Seems best to just ignore his blue for now. 
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So.... no Shield Training for him too?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We only get Shield Training for 4*s i think, right?
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    We only get Shield Training for 4*s i think, right?

unfortunately yes.  Though IceIX did acknowledge that welcome to shield was theoretically possible for 5* releases.