polaris quest

124»

Comments

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Polaris is not the problem. That’s like saying a loaded gun sitting on a shelf in an empty room is dangerous.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't remember who came up with this but it kind of make sense. What happen is that newly released 4* are too easily covered. Anyone who plays a decent amount of PvP and PvE will get any new 4* to 13 covers easily. Because of the above reason and the wide spread knowledge of Polaris being meta, all people are seeing is Polaris at the higher level of play. If it's difficult to cover newly released 4*, such problems might not  have surfaced that quickly. Let's go back to the time where it takes at least 6 to 8 months for an average player to champ a new 4*. 

I remember about 2 plus years ago, while I was in 3* land, Medusa, R4G and GotG/C4rnage were the most common teams seen. The point is, such problem has been around even before I played MPQ. It's the same complain, only different flavour. The flavour of the current trend happens be Polaris. Previously, it was Karnak. Wait a few more months and people will be complaining about other new meta characters.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't remember who came up with this but it kind of make sense. What happen is that newly released 4* are too easily covered. Anyone who plays a decent amount of PvP and PvE will get any new 4* to 13 covers easily. Because of the above reason and the wide spread knowledge of Polaris being meta, all people are seeing is Polaris at the higher level of play. If it's difficult to cover newly released 4*, such problems might not  have surfaced that quickly. Let's go back to the time where it takes at least 6 to 8 months for an average player to champ a new 4*. 

I remember about 2 plus years ago, while I was in 3* land, Medusa, R4G and GotG/C4rnage were the most common teams seen. The point is, such problem has been around even before I played MPQ. It's the same complain, only different flavour. The flavour of the current trend happens be Polaris. Previously, it was Karnak. Wait a few more months and people will be complaining about other new meta characters.
    There are over 100 4* characters in the game so the absolute last thing the game needs is to make it even harder for players to cover them.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 4* meta was pretty much skewed in 2017 when they made it so easy to obtain the latest 4s - whilst there have been better character since such as Polaris and Juggernaut, the older meta has not suffered too much from power creep because of strong passives for the likes of R4G and Medusa. I do find it quite easy to cover the new 4s but I suspect Milestone-mas might explain why practically everybody has a champed Polaris. 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Plus she was the reward in two back to back alliance events so basically she was half covered automatically without even trying . Before the 5454 release format characters also rotated out of PVE faster as more 4* than 5* were being introduced. Also the CL10 gives more 4* covers than the previous high CL9.  I used to average 10 covers before a 4* left rotation, now it leaves rotation in the 290s.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polaris is not the problem. That’s like saying a loaded gun sitting on a shelf in an empty room is dangerous.  
    Disturbing analogy, but I think I get the  point you’re making, which is that Polaris is not the problem, players who overuse her are. 

I don’t even blame the players though.  Since she is an overall well-designed character and a “new shiny”, it makes sense they’d overuse her. The 5* tier has had this issue since Panthos (if not earlier? OML/Jean?).  We now have over 50 5*, but all I see in my queues are Hulkoye, before that BRBitty, before that Gritty, before that Thorkoye, Gambit, and so on. If 4* players are complaining about lack of variety, don’t come to the 5* tier.

And again, we can’t blame lack of options, as there are over 50. But it’s Hulkoye errday. At least Polaris is an easy kill. 
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker

And again, we can’t blame lack of options, as there are over 50. But it’s Hulkoye errday. At least Polaris is an easy kill. 

100% agree. Polaris is not a problem. Snipe her and be done. I am hoping airborne and fortification become a thing so we have some variety in the 5* meta. I'm sick to death of seeing/using BRBitty, Hulkoye, et al.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 723 Critical Contributor

TLDR version of my point - I dont have time to write long essey here.
    To some degree, we can as this statement is correct 100% only on paper. Its simple: A "foot" soldier has as many options to choose from to use against his "foot" soldier oponent as army can give to him. But if we give him as options let say a cold weapon of any kind, grenade, a pistol or riffle what will he choose? Definetly not the 1st mentioned options.
    Same here: some options, even if they has some usability, will be scrapped by many on the start. Saying that I have "PUT_CURRENT_NUMBER_OF_CHAMPIONS_IN_GIVEN_LAND" options to choose from is partially true in reality. And its not players to be blamed for this too.
  • Mr_F
    Speaking about Polaris: 50k damage in ONE round. How? She managed to collect 14 blue. Despithe the fact I was chasing blue. Two stuns and... viola. After 2nd stun it was easy to get going.

Of course it was just "bad luck". Bad it shows how OP she can be 50 k in one round... Un boosted...
  • HoundofShadow
    edited December 2020
    I don't think Polaris can single handedly deal that much damage in one round. Either you took like 20 to 30 turns to finish the match or someone else is missing.

What was the level of Polaris you are facing and who are her other two partners?
  • darkman84
    darkman84 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    With the unlucky cascase Polaris can do crazy damage. I just happen to loose against her in the very first turn, when the huge cascade kept on spaming attack tiles, and damage, which quickly wiped out my entire team (their combined health was around 45k, so the entire damage dealt could've easly been 50k and more).

However this clearly was just a very bad luck, which sometimes happens in this game, and can defeat you against many other meta teams without Polaris on board.

Even though such a loose is a pain, I personaly don't consider Polaris being a huge issue, and I am in a 4* land. Sure, the battles against her can be hard, and she is used A LOT in PVP (because the devs made it super accesible for everyone), which can be annoying for players.
    But on the other hand she's great when you need to make some points, and don't have much time. Also I see a lot of teams in PVP without her entirely, especially above 800 points where Polaris+Grocket is just too easy to hit with Sabertooth or some 5* power creeps. So her being squishy makes it also easy and fast to win against her. For me this even up things - you can win fast, but also loose fast, due to poor defence.

As for the variety, I suppose it's just a matter of MMR. The highier you get, the less team variety you see. I only started playing the game around two years ago, so it's not a very long time comparing to guys who are since the beginning, but I suppose it was always like that with MMR/variety ratio. At least this is how I see it by my experience, and it will most likely stay that way with or without Polaris being nerfed. The only thing which would change if she was nerfed is that she would not be a meta any more.

So the question is are you against Polaris, or against low variety of teams in a certain situation? If the latter, then in my opinion, it can't be fixed by nerfing a certain character (maybe except Bishop :P). There will always be others to take his place.

As for PVP with locked out meta - it could be great (but probably only for players that has a lot of other playable characters beside meta ones). Anyway, I'd try it, despite I mostly play for speed.
  • Mr_F
    In this case, she just got a lot of cascades which was destroying even more strike tiles to get her going. She killed my team before Sabretooth's passive proced.
    I posted it just to showcase how good he is. Its true: it was just really bad luck.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Im a 5* player that usually shargets one 4* here and another 4* there.
    Since polaris was ready I shargeted her. And I only use her on some pvp nodes, never on pvp. Then why am I on her?
    Because she is the best 4*. The race for polaris long time ago started. Right now is easy to down her but players will take her to level 400 for sure. On time she will be not so easy to down. 
    About her toolkit, her 2 passives are hyper good. They could give her some active  power dealing damage,or some traps, and she still would be pretty good. 
    Instead they gave her stun. Crazy!
    Difficult that another 4* could handle special tiles better than her.
    And I would say 70% of this game are special tiles. 
    So unless they release a character punishing adding special tiles, the future is polar blue.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think Polaris can single handedly deal that much damage in one round. Either you took like 20 to 30 turns to finish the match or someone else is missing.

What was the level of Polaris you are facing and who are her other two partners?
    I mean in the right situation she probably could. Karnak and MEHulk definitely can if their criticals fall into place. I remember when I was in 4* land I was one of the first to get Karnak champed and I was using him with America and Bishop. It definitely wasn't too difficult to deal a ridiculous amount of damage in one move and I even took down the occasional baby champed 5* character in one shot.
  • Mr_F

Also: I did some calculations: Here is the prove. Numbers with my lv 277 3/5/5 Polaris. Match damage Average 70*3 = 210
    Opponent has used 2 times Polaris blue. That is six strenght 56 Strike tiles (total 336).
    She makes one match (546 dmg). She destroys 4 strike tiles - 5240 damage ((1100+210)*4) and creates 12 strenght 110 strike tiles. Minimum total strike dmg is now 2*56+12*110 = 1432. In the proces she got two more matches - that is at BEST for me scenario 3284 dmg. Total damage so far 9k
    Still her turn. She now has 1432 worth strike tiles and she destroyed in the process (still one turn - casdade, remember that) another 4 strike tiles. Thats another 12 110 strike tiles and another 13,3k damage. Total damage so far 22k. She now posses 22 strenght 110 strike tiles = 2420
    And now, for finish, she got last cascade. Same as above - 2 matches with 4 strike tiles destroyed.  Thats enother 5k and 14k damage.

Total: 41k. And that is bare minimum in given situation. She has a lot more strike to deal with.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the enemy used 2 times polaris stun he got 14 blue AP. That is a pretty advanced battle then.
     Mr_F said:

Still her turn. She now has 1432 worth strike tiles and she destroyed in the process (still one turn - casdade, remember that) a
    Im guessing she did a critical and then its still her turn.
    In a pretty advanced battle being the boar flooded with strikes and doing critical she could do that damage.  
  • HoundofShadow
    Those are uncommon or rare occurrences. In the "worst moment in the day" thread, there are players whose team with 2 fully champed full health 5* get wiped out due to unlucky cascades. So, I will make some amendment to that statement, it's possible for that to happen in unlucky situation, but it's not something unique to Polaris.
  • Mr_F
    edited December 2020
    Bad said:
    If the enemy used 2 times polaris stun he got 14 blue AP. That is a pretty advanced battle then.
     Mr_F said:

Still her turn. She now has 1432 worth strike tiles and she destroyed in the process (still one turn - casdade, remember that) a
    Im guessing she did a critical and then its still her turn.
    In a pretty advanced battle being the boar flooded with strikes and doing critical she could do that damage.  

Nope. All without crital. Its just she did one match, and cascaded few times.
    And yes, game was advanced. Also I just proved how she could do 40k dmg in one turn.
    @HoundofShadow - yep, but remember. We are talking about 4* who cascaded into 50k dmg. Not 5*. Not many 4* can cascade into such treshhold.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have had Karnak one shot a 40k health character on a number of ocassions but yes Polaris can potentially multi-hit on cascades for high stacking damage. It is all about the race for blue - get there first, stun her with your own Polaris and you can control the board but it can go pear-shaped if you are unlucky. Fighting Polaris isn't hugely different to fighting Medusa - you have to somehow stop her matching specials but once you can do that she isn't a huge problem.