Character Updates - September 2020

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I would have cared about the Cap nerf a couple weeks ago but now I can still get PVE max progression without him.  Guess I’m going to have to think when I do some of these green nodes now. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really glad to see balance changes for older characters, even though most of the ones here don't really incentivize me to use them much more than I already do (which is only when required). I'll enjoy playing around with all of them to see if the changes have any impactful difference, and maybe I'll change my tune. 

Bishop on the other hand, I am definitely glad to see get changed. After realizing how irritating fighting him was, I pretty much pretended he didn't exist - I never used him, and I never fought him, which seemed like a reasonable trade-off. 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2020
    IceIX said:
    My question is, with worthy cap, does he negate the damage of a 4 match ability as well, such as prof x or onslaught?
    I can't say with 110% surety since ya know, not released yet, but the current plan is that yes, he'll block the full damage from that attack.
    Thanks for the preview.
    Will he negate the damage if he is already in the front when the match-4 or greater is made?
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    OJSP said:
    Do not thank someone for smacking you in the face....
    That is true, but not everyone thinks these changes are a smack in their face. 
    Show me a player who thinks these changes are a smack in the face and I’ll show you a one dimensional player hiding behind Bishop . This is what the game is about , balancing the entire roster for various scenarios . I can’t wait to see new ideas in two weeks . 
      Excelsior !
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    OJSP said:
    Show me a player who thinks these changes are a smack in the face and I’ll show you a one dimensional player hiding behind Bishop . This is what the game is about , balancing the entire roster for various scenarios . I can’t wait to see new ideas in two weeks . 
      Excelsior !
    Wow, that's a simpleton post. It's more like the player who can't beat Bishop is more one dimensional. Can only look to the teams they always use even if not effective.

I've had no problem going after bishop teams (I've had wipes sure) and the amount of red's I get when using bishop tells me others can beat him just fine. I don't use bishop frequently because of health packs.

I think it's great there are characters some people have trouble with or skip. Should the game be easy for every single player?

Anyways, I'll go back to my one trick... thorkoye, ihulk/okoyoe, brb/Carnage, brb/kitty, DD/bssm.

Oh, would love to add Apocalypse to that list but 2/7/1 :(
  • IceyOne
    IceyOne Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Can we now look at adjustments to Okeye and her overpowered heal?

Also can we reevaluate Gambit so he's not so neutered? Especially his black power which I never use because there's no incentive to(3 star) because it hurts his allies for some odd reason and doesn't do enough damage to the enemies to justify it.

And after all these current nerfs, how did Polaris get into the game. Sure she's awesome but I think she's way broken and op.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone who is not in the 5* tier, I'm sad to see Worthy Cap and Bishop nerfed so severely. I understand why they needed to be changed, but not this much.

Almost more upsetting, Thing finally got a rework and... it's almost indistinguishable. The damage increase is insignificant — why weren't the AP costs dropped as well?
  • IYeaheahI
    IYeaheahI Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Big thumbs up for this guys!

It's great to see you guys (and girls) are trying to mitigate the meta champs and try to make the older champs more relevant.

Keep it up!

• lvsmr2
    lvsmr2 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    "With these character changes, we will be offering increased sellback prices for Captain America and Bishop as per usual for these style of changes/reworks."

Does anybody know what these will roughly be? 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,215 Chairperson of the Boards
    lvsmr2 said:
    "With these character changes, we will be offering increased sellback prices for Captain America and Bishop as per usual for these style of changes/reworks."

I would look for - maybe - double the current HP and iso sellback amounts?  Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't recall 4*s getting sellback values historically for nerfs, just the 5*s that give a 5*-only token prorated some kind of way based on how covered your character was. Might have some Mighty Tokens involved?
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Soooo glad I didn’t target Bishop when moving into the 4* tier, but the writing was on the wall, eh?

I will say that if this is a regular thing going forward, dev team definitely needs to learn that the heavy handed approach is never popular. It may seem like there’s no pleasing the player base, but when you demolish characters, what’s the point of having those characters any more?

I think a lot of us are unhappy about C4p’s nerf, but the new mechanic might be interesting to see if it does indeed negate Prof/Onslaught. Still, a 5 turn countdown? Just one? Big whiff.

I think one thing that might help in these endeavors is a test server. Before pushing out updates like this or releasing a character, let the players test them & provide feedback. Many of us would be happy to do so & instead of paying employees to do whatever testing a small team can accomplish, you get a much larger test crew that you don’t have to pay.

In summation, I think we’re mostly meh about the buffs and not surprised, but unhappy with the heavy handedness of the nerfs. Oh yeah, and give us a test server.
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    OJSP said:
    And some people are just in to that kinda thing. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    lvsmr2 said:

in a word: paltry.  the only time an increased sell price was ever even close to worthwhile was for 5* gambit, and even that wasn't particularly compelling (1:1 covers from a subset of 5*s). 
    And yes Roadwarrior, all characters have gotten increased sell-back prices after a nerf, but for 4*s and below that is just extra ISO and HP.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceyOne said:
    Can we now look at adjustments to Okeye and her overpowered heal?

Also can we reevaluate Gambit so he's not so neutered? Especially his black power which I never use because there's no incentive to(3 star) because it hurts his allies for some odd reason and doesn't do enough damage to the enemies to justify it.

And after all these current nerfs, how did Polaris get into the game. Sure she's awesome but I think she's way broken and op.

Nerfing Okoye is a terrible idea.  She is invaluable for quality of life in PVE, useful for early climbs in PVP, and mostly irrelevant for high level PVP defense.  She has had a minor resurgence with IH, but in general, using okoye on defense in PVP is asking for hits.  She makes life easier for lots and lots of players, but using her doesn't actually make the subjective experience of other players worse.  What good will come of taking her away (other than allowing Demi more latitude to design a new hotness that they can use to supercharge player spending)? 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:

And yes Roadwarrior, all characters have gotten increased sell-back prices after a nerf, but for 4*s and below that is just extra ISO and HP.
    I guess I just never paid attention, because either I didn't have anyone worth selling off at the time, or really, what's the point of selling off a 4* even if they're awful?
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 546 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Glockoma said:
    JHawkInc said:
    I like the changes.

I like seeing a bundle of them at once. That kinda balances out the news a little for people who aren't excited about any one change.

I like just having a little bit of explanation written into it all, instead of a clinical "opinion-free" chart of before and after. (I think I might like this part more than the fact that there are changes to begin with)

Also, a month before Anniversary? All things considered this has been a pretty fantastic year (weren't rebalances on the bottom of the list when things were getting shifted from the office to work-from-home earlier this year?), looking forward to ringing in the next one for MPQ!
    This is great feedback that I agree with wholeheartedly.

I, too, have my opinions on the specifics, but big picture time:

ACTUAL rebalancing(!), with approaches, and in batches no less!

This is a stark difference from the MPQ the first 5 years I played. Year 6 looks to be quite a good year if we keep on this path.

...and yeah, Bring back old school 4* Wolverine!
    You do remember that, off the top of my head, cmags, im40, and riri were all successfully reworked during the first 5 years of MPQ, with the latter two becoming among the best characters in their respective tiers (without being OP) after their reworks, right?
    Yes, it's been a while since we had reworks (especially reworks that explicitly tried to buff anyone) but let's not pretend that this hasn't happened before.
    Yes, I remember. However, the game wasn’t circling the drain when they reworked them. Timing, here, is important. The difference between the spectrum of feelings on the game as a whole are much greater now than they have ever been. This is a success that doesn’t have to be picked apart too much to still be overall positive. That’s all I am saying.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm seeing all these Bishop teams in PVP and waiting ever so patiently for the dawn of a new Era.

Your days are numbered Lucas.