**** Polaris (Lorna Dane) ****

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Wouldn't Northstar be perfect for this? 8 blue ap to desttoy a chosen row. AND he collect blue ap too.
    Edit: it works just fine in 'normal' content. Just need to make sure you have a full row of 8 specials, or 1 blue special for every teamup tile.  Will try it on harder content when I join the next pve.
    Finally!  A use for Northstar!
    Second edit: the order of operations seems to be such that BRB always proc's before Northstar's blue ability cost is applied, so this method can't easily get above 22 blue. But it is infinite once it gets going.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    Anyone try Polaris with Black Bolt's Quasi-Sonic Scream yet?
    I'm not sure if it would be a very good match. BB only destroys the middle two rows, unless you have 5 AP in all colors, but in that case it will drain all your AP.
    What I'm wondering is if Bolt destroys the entire board, do you get 2x the specials on the new board?  I realize there will be an AP loss, but if you get to double your strike/attack/protect tiles, the match would probably be over pretty quickly regardless.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    I'm not sure if it would be a very good match. BB only destroys the middle two rows, unless you have 5 AP in all colors, but in that case it will drain all your AP.
    What I'm wondering is if Bolt destroys the entire board, do you get 2x the specials on the new board?  I realize there will be an AP loss, but if you get to double your strike/attack/protect tiles, the match would probably be over pretty quickly regardless.
    Yes you willl, but at the cost of all your ap, it's not worth it.  Best to keep the inifity engine working.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Options
    What happens is you will get only 30 blue and 30 green ap after the entire board destruction,  plus any ap gains from cascades.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Why does Polaris make me hungry for cookies?

https://images.app.goo.gl/sv51GL7bWtuUnWu47

(sorry about the link, I can’t figure out how to get the picture in the post)

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    DeNappa said:
    Yes you willl, but at the cost of all your ap, it's not worth it.  Best to keep the inifity engine working.
    Yep.  Just tested it in the final three-wave node of the Meet Polaris event.  Literally every non-team up tile on the board came back as a special after BB screamed.  It's one heck of a finishing move, that's for sure...
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Man I wish I had noticed the versus tourney. I only have one cover for her so far and it's looking like she's gonna become hard meta at my level, like Karnak at his release.
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Man I wish I had noticed the versus tourney. I only have one cover for her so far and it's looking like she's gonna become hard meta at my level, like Karnak at his release.

Since I have been one of the louder Polaris nay-sayers on the thread, I feel compelled to clarify:  Polaris should be treated as a 'must-get'/highest priorty 4* for all 4* players!  She is, like karnak, among the very best damage dealers in 4* land, and has some obvious synergies with strong 5*s.  She is a very very good character.  My skepticism is purely as related to the question of her place in the meta for established 5* rosters (where I think she will become another viable option for PVE damage output, and a decent pairing with apoc for PVP offense and defense, rather than dominating the 5* meta from 4* land a la OG bishop).
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reminded in my alliance chat to check my supports and sure enough, I can potentially have 10 Green AP on turn one to just ramp up from there on those Challenge nodes with Bill, Carol, and Lorna... ready to try it at the next grind to see what happens.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jackstar0 said:
    Reminded in my alliance chat to check my supports and sure enough, I can potentially have 10 Green AP on turn one to just ramp up from there on those Challenge nodes with Bill, Carol, and Lorna... ready to try it at the next grind to see what happens.
    Check those supports again and you’ll see that if you run 4* Thanos instead of 5* Carol, you can potentially have 13 Green at the start of battle...
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For those CNs where winfinite is my only option, I’m curious which is faster and more sustainable between

Coul/Hawk/Gamora
    Vulture/iHulk/Black Battery
    5* Marvel/Polaris/BRB
    Than4s/Polaris/BRB
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2020
    Options
    For those CNs where winfinite is my only option, I’m curious which is faster and more sustainable between

Coul/Hawk/Gamora
    5* Marvel/Polaris/BRB
    Than4s/Polaris/BRB
    Northstar is also viable with Polaris + BRB.  Though i haven't yet figured out how long the various tile destruction + BRB + Polaris engines take to get going, it seems to be long enough that it isn't especially viable against the hardest pve nodes that can down a 60k 5* in just a couple of turns.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

Coul/Hawk/Gamora
    5* Marvel/Polaris/BRB
    Than4s/Polaris/BRB
    Northstar is also viable with Polaris + BRB.  Though i haven't yet figured out how long the various tile destruction + BRB + Polaris engines take to get going, it seems to be long enough that it isn't especially viable against the hardest pve nodes that can down a 60k 5* in just a couple of turns.
    With the right supports and some AP boosts BRB/Polaris/Th4nos is the fastest and most sustainable IMO. Although, I find the CM combo to be more fun if you have time to get it rolling.

I have been able to clear CNs in SCL 10 pretty reliably with the above mentioned combo. I boost blue as well though to get a stun off ASAP and create some tiles for Polaris to do her thing.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Options

Coul/Hawk/Gamora
    5* Marvel/Polaris/BRB
    Than4s/Polaris/BRB
    In my experience it's definitely not ihulk/vulture. Not only is it slow but too many times I've had it happen where vulture comes down from being in the air and hulks green sets off a cascade that kills hulk which in turn kills vulture before he can get in the air again. 

Particularly aggravating when you've spent a long time whittling down the enemies massive health,  have then almost dead but have the above scenario happen and have to try again.

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Seconding the not Vulture sentiment. The problem is that you are constantly chasing black, which eventually leads to no black matches available on the board. A black builder helps, but then they are taking damage from Hulk. It’s a cool mechanic and can do some amazing things, but eventually, Vulture just runs out of steam.
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2020
    Options
    with regard to the infinite combos:
    Ih/Vulture is fun, but not quite a truly infinite engine, since you must make at least 1 black match every two rounds, and avoid self-killing vulture when he is on the ground. 
    HE/Coulson/Gamora is a truly infinite stunlock that can reliably get rolling by round 3 or 4.  But it is SLOOOOOOOOOW.  All those passive banners and CDs take forever to proc, but are necessary to keep the ap flowing.  Gamora can help by one-shotting big health enemies, but that is RNG-based. 
    The various polaris/BRB engines are also truly infinite once you get enough protects on the board, so the only question is how long it takes to get started (and thanks to Helix for some great theorycrafting about how to make that happen with boosts and supports!). IMO, I think the Marvel option makes the most sense for CL challenge nodes because it provides another 5* pool to absorb damage (although BRB will likely tank 2/3 colors, so sharing the burden may be challenging in practice). 
    Charlie's angels is all-but-infinite in that it takes an extremely bad board to overcome the green/purple generation, but no one on the team has enough health to survive match damage in challenge nodes. 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well my level 243 Polaris just took out level 570 Carnage5, BRB and Thor3 without a scratch , be very afraid . ( w Okoye / Apoc)
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Well my level 243 Polaris just took out level 570 Carnage5, BRB and Thor3 without a scratch , be very afraid . ( w Okoye / Apoc)
    Was it your Polaris?  Or could you have done more or less the same with 2099 or gamora or another good third wheel paired with the two best damager boosters in the game?
    Polaris is particularly strong against tile spammers like carnage and BRB, but mostly she is good because she has a combo of frequent passive damage ticks and a good stun.  But 2099 has that exact same combo.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Was it your Polaris?  Or could you have done more or less the same with 2099 or gamora or another good third wheel paired with the two best damager boosters in the game?
    Polaris is particularly strong against tile spammers like carnage and BRB, but mostly she is good because she has a combo of frequent passive damage ticks and a good stun.  But 2099 has that exact same combo.
    I’ve used both and a 9/13 Polaris was much faster . I think it was about 10 turns doing 400K damage