I've quit MPQ

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:

All of your points are pretty much how my experience had been as well (Day 2261, myself).  I think I certainly have had an easier time than others, since I started not too long after release, but there was just so much that I missed from not playing "correctly" since I didn't know the forums here were a thing until at least a couple of years later.  If I never learned tips from here that make playing much more effective, I probably would have given up too.  As it's been pointed out, the game does absolutely nothing to promote "smart" playing or any way to grow your roster.  Even paid bundles don't do this, which seems a little odd.  I'm guessing they just count on people buying a few packages until they eventually move on to something else since they never learn the "proper" way to play, which I'm sure the mobile gaming industry as a whole is built on.

I've taken a break from the game a couple times for a few weeks, mostly when I was going through health issues and another time after a very bad run of token pulls, getting stuck trying to get into 4* land.  I think another reason for my lack of progress compared to others with the same amount of time is my alliance since day one was just my real life friends and I up until about two or three months ago.  Most had dropped out and only three to four of us played daily, even though they mostly just did DDQ each day and that was it.  Things did change when I joined an alliance with more serious players, but I still joined a "casual" offshoot group of the more hardcore alliance family, but I did have fun talking with my friends in person about it and stuff we learned.

I do feel I've been making better progress, but I just don't have the time to devote to MPQ to be a serious meta and competitive player.  I'm still having fun, but I'm finally getting to the point where dilution among the 4* characters is becoming a serious problem and I can absolutely see why many have been quitting now.
    There are a few other factors that old time vets dealt with that new players do not. The biggest ones being:
    1) Champ rewards - Prior to this any cover past the 13 needed to champ was wasted since it could only be used as ISO.
    2) Wasted cover - Prior to cover saving we all had countless covers expiring due to not having ISO to champ a character or not having the right distribution (6/4/3 type thing).
    I suspect that all day 1800+ vets could have shaved years off our times had these been in place on day 1. For new players starting it's a god send.
    KGB
    This. Cover pressure was the no.1 issue for me when I was transitioning to 4* play.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler

There are a few other factors that old time vets dealt with that new players do not. The biggest ones being:
    1) Champ rewards - Prior to this any cover past the 13 needed to champ was wasted since it could only be used as ISO.
    2) Wasted cover - Prior to cover saving we all had countless covers expiring due to not having ISO to champ a character or not having the right distribution (6/4/3 type thing).
    I suspect that all day 1800+ vets could have shaved years off our times had these been in place on day 1. For new players starting it's a god send.
    KGB
    Oh, absolutely.  Those quality of life improvements were ones that should have been added WAY earlier than they were.  When I quit for the period after the bad run of token pulls I mentioned in my original post, a big part of it was because I pulled some 4* characters that I already five of that particular color cover in but immediately had to scrap it for ISO because that was all you could do at the time.

Remember waaaaayyy back in the day when you wanted to apply a cover to level up a character, but you had to have an open roster slot, roster the second cover, and then combine them?  At least they got rid of that early on.  That was easily the most obtuse thing this game had ever done.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    ZootSax said:
    @bbigler documented his <1 year transition from new player to 5* champs.  Here's his summary:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/74686/2019-guide-to-progressing-fast
    (he had a different threat for the transition itself: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/73068/im-back-and-im-starting-over)

So, yes, it's verified to be possible to keep the timeline @HoundofShadow describes, but there should be the caveat that to do so takes quite a bit of commitment, both in time and money, and that timeline is very much at the mercy of the available 5* store options...at least if you're differentiating between when you *could* and when you *should* make that jump.  Also, it really relies upon the player knowing ahead of time how things work, although for a speed guide, that probably goes without saying.

But bbigler was not a "new player"...
    I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  Using the same time & money spent, I'm doubtful I could match @bbigler 's feat, frankly.   

That being said, I'm EXTREMELY skeptical that spending $300-$500 only takes ~80 days of progress off the challenge and that a FTP player can match the feat in 350 days, but since no one has documented it, I can't objectively say it's impossible.   I actually kind of wish that @HoundofShadow had kept bbigler-like notes, because if their timeline is accurate, I'd be curious to see how much ~6+ months of "latest 12" tokens impacted their acquisition and helped avoid early HP shortages on 4* pulls from Heroics/vaults and the like.  

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    ZootSax said:
    @bbigler documented his <1 year transition from new player to 5* champs.  Here's his summary:
    (he had a different threat for the transition itself: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/73068/im-back-and-im-starting-over)

So, yes, it's verified to be possible to keep the timeline @HoundofShadow describes, but there should be the caveat that to do so takes quite a bit of commitment, both in time and money, and that timeline is very much at the mercy of the available 5* store options...at least if you're differentiating between when you *could* and when you *should* make that jump.  Also, it really relies upon the player knowing ahead of time how things work, although for a speed guide, that probably goes without saying.

Clicking on the link and reading the post,  it was about starting an alt account. So while bbigler the player may not have been new to the game,  the account he was playing with was.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    I forgot to mention something: resource management is important.

I've not spend any money on this game yet. I'm not the only 4* player who ranks top 10 in SCL 6 (3* land) and SCL 7. I didn't really benefit much from latest 12 because it was abolished in mid 2018. I was hoarding LT/CP during this period.I don't bracket-snipe because I think it's not a good use of time. The reason why I don't reveal my IGN is because I'm not interested in making my PvP experiences terrible. Generally, I'm hitting 1000 points comfortably within 25 - 30 wins depending on how I play. I'll probably never be able to hit 1000 points in PvPs after revealing my IGN.

What 4* players need are R4G/Juggernaut, America Chavez/ Ghost/Juggernaut. 3* Thanos/3* Strange. Any 4* player who use champed Juggernaut/R4G team will know how fast matches end. 1 min for each clear of 3 easy nodes. Hard node take between 30-45 seconds for goons. ~ 45-75 secs for tiles movers depending on how slow your strike tiles get matched away. 

4 clears of 3 easy nodes = ~4 min
    4 clears of 3 hard nodes = ~ 9 min
    4 clears of 4 essential nodes = ~12min
    Add in 3 mins for hard matches.

Total time taken: ~28mins 

Even though there are 5* players, half of them are not really super competitive. I've been to almost all slices in the first bracket and my experiences are quite uniform.

@DAZ0273
    The prize that I won was for a physical product (I think a shirt or a cap) and they had certain location requirement to send the prize. So, there goes your conspiracy.

Compared to late 2017 where I started, new players have a better life now: saved covers, shards, majority of 5* with feeders, better shield training event, and Juggernaut/R4G for them to cheese through PvEs. With so many good stuff laid out for new players, what they need are familiarity with PvE AIs, techniques and ability to schedule a block of their time in PvEs to be competitive.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've never laughed, cried, and rolled my eyes simultaneously until now.
    Imagining people will target you is delusional.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    jackstar0 said:
    No. It is 100% accurate. 

You obviously don’t spend time on LINE. 
  • DAZ0273
    I forgot to mention something: resource management is important.

I've not spend any money on this game yet. I'm not the only 4* player who ranks top 10 in SCL 6 (3* land) and SCL 7. I didn't really benefit much from latest 12 because it was abolished in mid 2018. I was hoarding LT/CP during this period.I don't bracket-snipe because I think it's not a good use of time. The reason why I don't reveal my IGN is because I'm not interested in making my PvP experiences terrible. Generally, I'm hitting 1000 points comfortably within 25 - 30 wins depending on how I play. I'll probably never be able to hit 1000 points in PvPs after revealing my IGN.

What 4* players need are R4G/Juggernaut, America Chavez/ Ghost/Juggernaut. 3* Thanos/3* Strange. Any 4* player who use champed Juggernaut/R4G team will know how fast matches end. 1 min for each clear of 3 easy nodes. Hard node take between 30-45 seconds for goons. ~ 45-75 secs for tiles movers depending on how slow your strike tiles get matched away. 

4 clears of 3 easy nodes = ~4 min
    4 clears of 3 hard nodes = ~ 9 min
    4 clears of 4 essential nodes = ~12min
    Add in 3 mins for hard matches.

Total time taken: ~28mins 

Even though there are 5* players, half of them are not really super competitive. I've been to almost all slices in the first bracket and my experiences are quite uniform.

@DAZ0273
    The prize that I won was for a physical product (I think a shirt or a cap) and they had certain location requirement to send the prize. So, there goes your conspiracy.

Compared to late 2017 where I started, new players have a better life now: saved covers, shards, majority of 5* with feeders, better shield training event, and Juggernaut/R4G for them to cheese through PvEs. With so many good stuff laid out for new players, what they need are familiarity with PvE AIs, techniques and ability to schedule a block of their time in PvEs to be competitive.
    No conspiracy, factual observation.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    ZootSax said:

Clicking on the link and reading the post,  it was about starting an alt account. So while bbigler the player may not have been new to the game,  the account he was playing with was.
    Yes but he had the benefit and experience of a veteran player so he could hit the ground running and avoid costly rookie mistakes. He also broke his own rules during the process I seem to remember.
  • DAZ0273
    bluewolf said:
    jackstar0 said:
    No. It is 100% accurate. 

On the other hand when you are a player giving it large on a forum it helps to be able to back up your claims. Or maybe you are just giving it large. And let's be honest, the whole targeting thing is a 5* game isn't it? If so doesn't apply here.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:
    jackstar0 said:
    No. It is 100% accurate. 

On the other hand when you are a player giving it large on a forum it helps to be able to back up your claims. Or maybe you are just giving it large. And let's be honest, the whole targeting thing is a 5* game isn't it? If so doesn't apply here.
    Correct. Since he’s a 4* player, he wouldn’t be visible to the 5* players that frequent these here forums. But he knows that. He’s given very detailed advice on how MMR/softcapping works and knows he’d be essentially invisible to us.

It’s just convenient to say that I can’t back any of my statements up because I’m afraid of being hit in PvP. 
    And I’ve gone on record here several times saying I don’t even look at names when I’m playing. If I feel I can beat the team, I just hit what’s in front of me and keep it moving. 
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    People do get targeted, but you generally have to have done something to seriously annoy someone. Most non-Line folk are treated equally and hit in equal measure - it’s more a case of highlighting the highest point targets than any personal vendetta. 

Broadly speaking, the main targeting that does occur is between people who are both on Line and actively take issue with each other.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    To say that I'm not visible to 5* players is totally incorrect. You guys playing the game even longer than me should know that once non-5* players hit certain threshold, they will be targeted by 5* players. I guess those complains by new players about getting beaten up by 5* players in PvPs disappear all of a sudden. If you still want to deny this, look at those anti-nerf Bishop comments by other players about how Bishop help them to deter 5* players from beating them down. 

The fact that some people were abusing the flag button on my posts is more than enough proof that people are targetting me. I won't be surprised that once my IGN is out, it will be spread via Line and an attack on sight will be issued on me. Things like this happen in other games, so it's nothing new actually.

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    jackstar0 said:
    No. It is 100% accurate. 

I don’t doubt this, but...it’s kind of pathetic to be honest. Seems like some folks need to grow up a little. What a passive aggressive little man/woman move that is. 

One more reason names should be removed from PVP.
  • DAZ0273
    To say that I'm not visible to 5* players is totally incorrect. You guys playing the game even longer than me should know that once non-5* players hit certain threshold, they will be targeted by 5* players. I guess those complains by new players about getting beaten up by 5* players in PvPs disappear all of a sudden. If you still want to deny this, look at those anti-nerf Bishop comments by other players about how Bishop help them to deter 5* players from beating them down. 

The fact that some people were abusing the flag button on my posts is more than enough proof that people are targetting me. I won't be surprised that once my IGN is out, it will be spread via Line and an attack on sight will be issued on me. Things like this happen in other games, so it's nothing new actually.

Well I certainly have no desire to see you targeted and as a 4* player myself I can't really say that I get targeted by 5* players but you must surely concede that without proof it is justifiable to question your statements on champing three 5* in such a short period without spending? I also think this statement could be highly damaging if taken as a matter of fact to newer players who might assume this is a normal progression rate as longs as they grind grind grind rather than something I at least have never seen. All without spending a single penny on the game. And at least a chunk of that time playing must have been at sub optimal SCL for chasing 5*?
    With regards to being flagged - you have come out with numerous insults/attacks on the playerbase so possibly you might get targeted but I think that stuff more likely ends up being actual in game feuding than anything else but who knows?
    I will clarify that I am not saying it isn't true in terms of your acquisition rate of resources although I find it quite strange that all this time later you are not a 5* player, it took me 1600 days or so to cover three 5* but of course you will say I was casual or whatever and I don't really mind to be honest. I have no idea so I and others on this forum have no choice but to either take your word for it or ask for evidence/proof. As you are not able to do that for whatever reasons you feel  are applicable, I guess this conversation ends here.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    jp1 said:
    bluewolf said:
    jackstar0 said:
    No. It is 100% accurate. 

I don’t doubt this, but...it’s kind of pathetic to be honest. Seems like some folks need to grow up a little. What a passive aggressive little man/woman move that is. 

One more reason names should be removed from PVP.
    The thing is, people don't target on LINE because they don't like what someone says on the forums, or on the discord. That part is totally imaginary.

People target known snipers and LINE abusers. If you're known to troll a LINE channel and abuse when you know people are out and unshielded / grilling for the entire war room and mess up the points for basically the entire channel, then they're going to reciprocate and distibute the name.

It's hardly ever so petty as "he says things I don't like"
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    ZootSax said:

Yes but he had the benefit and experience of a veteran player so he could hit the ground running and avoid costly rookie mistakes. He also broke his own rules during the process I seem to remember.
    Yeah, that was the point of the post.  The whole thing is a guide to get from brand new account to 5 star player asap using his experience to explain to new players how to avoid those rookie mistakes.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    ZootSax said:

Yeah, that was the point of the post.  The whole thing is a guide to get from brand new account to 5 star player asap using his experience to explain to new players how to avoid those rookie mistakes.

Right, agreed. According to Hound, Hound did it first and without spending and as a brand new player (but a super researched one), not  a returning player. We were just asking him to proove it like Bbigler did. That would be an even more amazing thing to show newer players but I guess that wont be happening. :(
This discussion has been closed.