Marvel Puzzle Quest Sneak Peek: June, 2020 (Updated 6/24/20)

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    2-5% of players spend on f2p mobile game. It doesn't matter what the sweet spot is. What's more important is that the numbers need to be there. MPQ can sell a latest champed 5* to everyone at 4.99 and it will be called pay to win. They might gain a lot of buyers in the initial phrase. Over time, there's nothing challenging and fun for those players and the number of paying players will drop dramatically. I believe in the application of Pareto Principle. In this case 80% of their revenues come from 20% of their top spenders (whales). 

I'm happy to see Valkyrie, Karnak and IHulk as rewards. The only problem I have is to choose either 250 iHulk Shards or a couple of Karnak covers.  Unstable ISO-8 is an easy PvE, but I don't want to spend 1.5 hours to clear SCL 10 every day. I think I'll shard iHulk the hard way. :D 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here's an older article on the topic of whales. I think it still holds true though - how many "so long, and thanks for all the fish" posts have we read that lead off with "if it weren't for my LIne buddies and alliance mates..."

https://venturebeat.com/2013/03/14/whales-and-why-social-gamers-are-just-gamers/
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here's an older article on the topic of whales. I think it still holds true though - how many "so long, and thanks for all the fish" posts have we read that lead off with "if it weren't for my LIne buddies and alliance mates..."

https://venturebeat.com/2013/03/14/whales-and-why-social-gamers-are-just-gamers/
    That was a fascinating read TRW, thanks for posting.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I saw this article before. It's human nature to be social. Within it, there are different classes. The other aspect is the business aspect. So, it's not easy to balance both.

The good news is, the devs are working on a few features now. I wonder what kind of surprises are in store.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

That was a fascinating read TRW, thanks for posting.
    Sure. there are loads of articles and studies about player psych and player behavior out there if you know where to look. If you're doing "it" well, what you're really doing is building a community around your product. You see it with IRL businesses like coffee shops, gyms, or book stores - the ones that succeed and become institutions are the ones that encourage you to turn that place into your lifestyle. When a game becomes a place for you to socialize with your friends, it ceases to be "just" a game, but rather a platform. 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Dogface said:
    So no 4 star required in the Savory Burrito ?  That’s a nice update to game play 
    Probably Lady Thor.
    No, that’s already obviously stated . I’m saying each day June 7-10 no selected 4* hero is required , that’s the change I referred to. 
    I assume you are being facetious and know that they just left off the required 4 due to some type of oversight.....

Although I suppose it's always possible they are changing the DDQ structure, it would not be a good move for their business model to remove the requirement that most frequently demands a 4 to be rostered (every 94 days in DDQ).  So I'm going with 99.9% oversight, 0.01% change in the DDQ requirements.
    I’m going with a new DDQ structure , because no one could possibly be that stupid to omit it, FOUR TIMES! 
  • Michael1957
    Options
    So now with 12 rewards per node , what’s the best way to maximize getting all the best rewards other than fighting 120 times ?
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So now with 12 rewards per node , what’s the best way to maximize getting all the best rewards other than fighting 120 times ?
    The bug has been fixed in the game now. So back to normal clears. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The bug has been fixed in the game now. So back to normal clears. 
    Good for anyone in S3, 4, 5.  People who already cleared (Slice 1 and 2) show 2/6 rewards but did the 4 clears.
  • Michael1957
    Options
    Update : it reset back to 6 , but if you already completed them you have to do it all over again , scores were erased 
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    According to the post in the bugs forum, the reward count was reset but you got the right amount of points. Is that not right?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Update : it reset back to 6 , but if you already completed them you have to do it all over again , scores were erased 
    If your points are wrong you should contact CS immediately.  My points are correct.

As far as missed rewards, I guess the main thing for me (being at 2/6 after 4 clears) is at the end there are a few spots where the 6th reward is something you want (at least a little) and if I want it, I need to play the node for 0 points to get it.  On the other hand, I pulled a Karnak from the extra Uiso8 token, so it's probably a win.
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Second time in 3 events in PVP where the 4* version is boosted but we can't use him.  Before it was Grocket now it's Deadpool.  Wish the devs would avoid this.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    MrPlow said:
    Second time in 3 events in PVP where the 4* version is boosted but we can't use him.  Before it was Grocket now it's Deadpool.  Wish the devs would avoid this.
    One less usable boosted character in PvP means the potential for more health packs purchased and used on the others. "Oh whoopsie! How did we do that again?"
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    That theory of plankton and whales I think it doesnt apply in there. The game doesnt let you go bullying underleveled players. At the opposite, a lot of times Im fighting strong players. And I like that way.
    Gacha games had its powerful appeal and I dont think it would be due to social behaviour in most of cases. Simply because the money is yours you can spend it how you like and nobody should be bothered by that. 
    Here is another good article: https://www-escapistmagazine-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/confessions-of-a-mobile-gaming-whale/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15915993868591&csi=1&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=De %1$s&ampshare=https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/confessions-of-a-mobile-gaming-whale/
    What says the article could be applied to this game although not spending money but tokens and cps.
    Having said that I think with this 5* fast release it would been implemented other things for players being able to keep on.
    Be it second run of 5* latest legends, or another game modes like that onslaught comic, or may be it new hard modes to gain more 5* shards.
  • MackDan1
    MackDan1 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Are we having an Alliance event following The Hunt?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reecoh said:
    shardwick said:
    jp1 said:
    5* release pattern is exhausting. Who thought this was a good idea? 4* tier is over saturated so let’s just do the same thing with (much harder to obtain) 5*s? 
    If they revamp rewards I feel like they will just do another nerf to resources. Honestly getting more and more bored of the game.

My theory is that they want the non-whale vets to leave - or at least don't care if they do. I expect they have numbers showing where the sweet spot is for non-whale spending and it's not with the folks who are chasing the few 5*s they don't have champed.
    If that theory is correct, they are doing it wrong. It's a pretty well established tenet of F2P game economies that you need a LOT of plankton in the sea to feed a population of whales, and by that I mean that the entire psychology of whale spending behavior is driven by being "better" than their peers - that "better-ness" either takes the form of bringing up their friends/alliance or beating down their enemies, but either way you need a set of benchmark "others" against which to compare yourself. If there are no more fields to conquer, the whales will leave as well.
    That's me. .... I'm the plankton.

$2/month.

Been playing for so long, that my goal is to see how high I can get the daily login number to.  :P
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    MackDan1 said:
    Are we having an Alliance event following The Hunt?
    A more interesting question is, "Will the sneak peek ever get updated again in June?"
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @JFisch

Past experiences say the answer is no.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    krakenoon said:
    @JFisch

Past experiences say the answer is no.

And a life is full of surprises. The rule I follow is "be prepared for every know unexpected thing but act like it will not happen". Or in other words "believe in miracles, but don't set your life for them". Or mathemathicly, "if a propapibility is higher than 0, then be prepared - it can hit any time any soon".