***** Yelena Belova (Black Widow) *****

Options

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Also we are focusing here on AP mess. Dont forget the other 2 effects of so great passive of her: she places hard tiles and she damages.
    So if the enemy keeps on matching his strong color he will not get a thing except a real beating.
    AOE then will do hurt.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm looking forward to playing her. This sounds like some fun mechanic I could play with, for sure.

That said, to anyone saying "Why is she a 5?"... remember Okoye? yeah. you might give her a pass because she's so META in the game, but for real... when that movie came out, who was saying "Man, i can't WAIT for a 5 Okoye!" She wasn't even a main character!!

War Machine, Bucky, Vision, Scarlet Witch, etc, etc, are sitting there like... wait, OKOYE got the 5* spot?!? At LEAST Yelena has the title of 'widow' and was trained in the Red Room, as it goes. I can buy that.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bad said:
    Also we are focusing here on AP mess. Dont forget the other 2 effects of so great passive of her: she places hard tiles and she damages.
    So if the enemy keeps on matching his strong color he will not get a thing except a real beating.
    AOE then will do hurt.

So when facing BRB and Kitty teams and Kitty has a red CD out and BRM has a blue CD out Yelena's passive will fire giving the opponent a protect tile, attack tiles and a strike tile for Kitty to remove in 2 turns?

Overall I think it is an interesting power but the question is who will she pair with? She is more of a 3rd than a pairing. Even I’m PVE for 3rds you have much better options. Professor X, Iceman, Strange, JJ, Goblin, or a 4* can all be better 3rds than her.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Thanos can you give her a test run with Sinister when you get around to it? I'm quite curious how that looks

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Me too. I am really curious as to how the trapper duo will be like.

They sound like a good anti-meta team... but that’s in defence. On offence it really depends on how often and easy the behold traps can be triggere.

• MrBowers
    MrBowers Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Options

i would of preferred red guardian or iron maiden as a new character instead or even a 5* taskmaster. At least it’s not another Natasha variant

• Bad
    Options

@PiMacleod said:
    I'm looking forward to playing her. This sounds like some fun mechanic I could play with, for sure.

That said, to anyone saying "Why is she a 5?"... remember Okoye? yeah. you might give her a pass because she's so META in the game, but for real... when that movie came out, who was saying "Man, i can't WAIT for a 5 Okoye!" She wasn't even a main character!!

War Machine, Bucky, Vision, Scarlet Witch, etc, etc, are sitting there like... wait, OKOYE got the 5* spot?!? At LEAST Yelena has the title of 'widow' and was trained in the Red Room, as it goes. I can buy that.

About that... truth is okoye as an actress and a character, even for her sex-appeal, hardly deserves to be a meta queen.
    Im going even further, why kitty pride is the meta star of the game? I dont know if she is really the number one x girl...
    Another free comment, by the looks of yelena I think she will suffer sharing screenshots with johansson lol.
    A pity to wait more to watch the film.

• Bad
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@Bad said:

@PiMacleod said:

About that... truth is okoye as an actress and a character, even for her sex-appeal, hardly deserves to be a meta queen.
    Im going even further, why kitty pride is the meta star of the game? I dont know if she is really the number one x girl...
    Another free comment, by the looks of yelena I think she will suffer sharing screenshots with johansson lol.
    A pity to wait more to watch the film.

That's, um, a whole lot of objectification going on in that post.

Well I said those were free coments. I didnt lie.

• Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options

Ok, played with her a bit and she''s not very good. Her red is by far her best ability and does nothing to stop BRB from firing his blue. By the time you get seven purple the majority of their strongest color is off the board and the traps just sit there. The color conversion from strongest to weakest bites you in the **** alot, (It is indeed BRB green to blue). Green, as expected, is near worthless. Her high match damage and lower health means she dies alot from tanking. I didn't enjoy making this video and probably won't make any more, although I'll consider team requests.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i434e5mx2gw

• RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2020
    Options

Yeah that 2nd match against bill and Kitty was just terrible, but I think the 1st match was fine and the 3rd match was quite good.
    Thanks for making these!

I still believe a lot of us are frustrated with facing BRB teams, whether it be with Kitty, Bishop, etc. Its still a bit rough to be down on a release if they don't directly address how to beat the meta's. I want them to beat them as well, but we have to understand that's not the dev's goal in each release (unfortunately).

For example, if Iceman or Professor X were released NOW instead of previously, would we be quick to judge their usefulness in a BRB / Kitty meta? We would.

Those two are quite good in general, but do they actually stink due to them having a hard time beating BRitty?  

No.

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Vhailorx,

I actually appreciate the design effort in making protect tiles viable. For the longest of time, protect tiles have been scorned at, because it doesn’t add any value to the fights. It was only with Britty that a team worthy (pun intended) came into the meta scene.

Eventually I am sure they will design a counter against protect tiles... you just need to have 4* Venom passive on a 5* character, and suddenly Britty will not be so fearsome anymore.

Back to the topic of Yelena, I felt that Yelena-Sinister are slow to play with (since their main offensive is really only purple and blue), and traps inherently are high variance tools. But they will be a PITA if you are up against them on defence.

Another thing I learnt from the video is that Yelena passive red is the outstanding ability as it really kept the opponent AP in check. It’s going to be really frustrating to play against her if your team relies on those 12 AP moves. You either need an accelerator or you need cascades.

But at the same time, the passive red only can deal with the highest coloured pool... so it’s one at a time. Unlike Hood (if ppl still remember him), his passive affects multiple colours.

Yelena is probably at best a B. Annoying to play against but not that useful in active.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think some of the more chaos/board shake oriented characters could help this team more actively do #TrapStuff. A Chavez or Karnak, or even Main Event in a pick 3 scenario.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Thanos

How does the AP swap work with Yelena. Is it the currently targeted character’s strongest and weakest AP switching or the entire team‘s strongest/weakest. If the latter, what happens when the strongest and weakest AP are the same color?

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,308 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

My Bologna
    (apologies to "Weird Al" Yankovic)

Oooh, my little spying one,
    Spying one.
    Open up a can of whoop-****, Bologna!
    Oooh, I think their goose is cooked,
    Their goose is cooked.
    Shoot them with a giant gun, Bologna!

Never gonna stop,
    Shoot them up.
    Lay down some scary traps,
    And something something AP,
    And what's up?
    But she's perfectly fine and I pine
    For my my my yi yi wooo!
    M-M-M-My bologna.

Laying the suppressing fire now,
    A-show me how.
    Take away all of the strong AP, Bologna!
    Leaving them weak AP,
    Laugh at them.
    They should have never messed with this Bologna!

Never gonna stop,
    Shoot them up.
    Lay down some scary traps,
    And something something AP,
    And what's up?
    But she's perfectly fine and I pine
    For my my my yi yi wooo!
    M-M-M-My bologna.

Goin' to the Red Room now,…

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@OJSP said:

@Daredevil217 said:
    @Thanos

How does the AP swap work with Yelena. Is it the currently targeted character’s strongest and weakest AP switching or the entire team‘s strongest/weakest. If the latter, what happens when the strongest and weakest AP are the same color?

In the video, when fighting against GSBW Okoye ProfX and targeting Okoye, the power's tool tip at 12:05 showed that blue AP would be converted to green. Prof's weakest colour is red and Okoye's is blue. GSBW's is yellow. So, it is targeting the entire team's strongest/weakest. (I had to recheck several times. :lol: we'll find out in her event soon anyway).

Then where is green coming from?? It should be yellow right? The weakest character’s weakest color.

I think to have a team with the same strongest and weakest colour, we have to play against non-5* teams, because the 5* s have various match damage due to power creep and there are decimal points involved, so trying to find a 5* opponent with exactly the same strongest/weakest colours would be difficult, if not impossible (that means all 6 would need to be the same). In a pick 2 PvP event with boosts on the characters that's even harder to find.

I'm guessing if we happen to come across it, like any power that involves a tie of colours, the outcome would be random.

It’s not that hard. Play Gritty in 3* Widow’s PVP. The strongest color on the team is Kitty yellow. The weakest color on the team is Widow Yellow. Again, I don’t understand where green is coming from.