***** Yelena Belova (Black Widow) *****

Options

Comments

• optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@TPF Alexis said:
    I can see the "convert strongest colour to weakest colour" thing backfiring a lot. Do you really want to be turning black into yellow for a Thorkoye team? Feeding purple to Daredevil or blue to Iceman? There are also a bunch of places where it will be good, of course, but there are some pretty common characters/teams who will love that swap.

Presumably, "weakest colour" wouldn't necessarily mean "weakest colour with a power" - for a typical Thorkoye team the weakest colour would likely be blue or purple, not yellow, dependent on the third wheel in the team. Though perhaps clarification is in order here.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,921 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options

@TPF Alexis said:
    I can see the "convert strongest colour to weakest colour" thing backfiring a lot. Do you really want to be turning black into yellow for a Thorkoye team? Feeding purple to Daredevil or blue to Iceman? There are also a bunch of places where it will be good, of course, but there are some pretty common characters/teams who will love that swap.

I am confused. Why would black be converted to yellow when Spycraft is used against a Thor/Okoye team? Both Thor's and Okoye's weakest color is purple so it would be converted into purple, no?

Edit: @optimus2861 exactly my thoughts.

• Kingart813
    Kingart813 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options

Disappointed in this 5 star... That Aoe power is useless!

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Her red looks like a counter meant for Thorokoye and BRB. Reducing 4 ap, which is a signicant amount, is equivalent to 2 matches. Opponent Kitty will trigger her Circuit Breaker and damage Yelena's team if you can't get enough SAP tiles out.

Next, there are two choices to convert enemy strongest colour to weakest colour, which is a unique ability in the game: either through actively laying trap tiles or via a direct and immediate way. This means that opponents need to form a rainbow team with active abilities coverage, which is difficult to do so in the passive meta. If not, all your effort collecting your targeted colour might get converted to the most useless one.

Between Spycraft and Military Surplus, I would go for the former. It has the potential to convert up to 18 enemy strongest to 18 weakest ap in the future, while Military does up to 6 enemy ap conversion immediately.

She's a 5/5/3 for me.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options

I am wondering on Military Surplus - while it is likely that many players won't be using this ability much - if there are no enemy specials on the board, I assume there is also no AP conversion happening.

Her passive is her strongest power but it's kind of interesting how many characters don't find their strongest color to be very helpful for them, and it's purely passive. In a number of cases that makes characters less effective on defense (Iceman for example).

She won't be very nice to Thor or BRB who are trying to build up to 12 green AP in their strongest color.

In other teams they will just ignore her AP shenanigans and take her out (iHulk, Gritty).

I think 5/5/3.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I am very curious to see how convert strongest to weakest works in practice. But overall she seems fairly meh. That green looks borderline awful (jack-of-all-trades powers are almost always awful in MPQ). The red passive is fine; it will hurt when she is in pve nodes. The purple will have the same problem as all trap-based powers, being weak against special tile heavy opponents. proc'ing only on enemy activity is a pain, but at least proc'ing on destruction or match is an improvement on standard traps.

• MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options

Why is her 1* version a villain and this one a hero?

• MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@MrPlow said:

I assume we would have found out when we watched the movie, but obviously that’s going to have to wait now. My guess is that she starts as a hero and then turns at some point during the movie

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options

@MrPlow said:

Hasn’t Magneto already broken the ice on this paradox ?
    And I’m not even going into how Rey Mysterio who has never played a hero in film or comic is a hero in MPQ

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options

@pheregas said:
    Will her passive include the counts of TU tiles?

If so, could be an interesting Okoye counter.

Interesting, but nowhere near BRBitty.

It specifically says “ of any COLOR “ which TU is not.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@MrPlow said:

Perhaps she is a hero in the Black Widow movie? Or perhaps like Mysterio she appears to be a hero and they don't want to spoil the surprise?

This isn't the first time this has happened though: 2* Magneto is a hero while 3* Magneto is a villain.

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options

First I am very surprised she was not postponed (other Marvel games I played had to postpone MCU releases).

Second, he looks pretty meh. Probably worse than Sinister (and a bit annoying that people that want to go hard in trap teams can get both in the same pull).

Even though I still think in the thoryoke case she would convert the AP to purple (not yellow), with a team with a better coverage it can seriously backfire, specially in PvE or Shield were you fight 3 enemies, and most probably all colors are used. It would be way better if she would just steal or destroy the AP. I guess the point is giving the enemy AP they can't use so the other power can trigger, but that swap is a disaster waiting to happen.

PS: @MrPlow and @jamesh , as far as trailers/rumorology show, in the MCU she is a hero and most probably Scarlet replacement going forward. They can still pull a Mysterio, but after the fail that was, I really doubt it.

• bluewolf
    edited April 2020
    Options

@Polares said:
    First I am very surprised she was not postponed (other Marvel games I played had to postpone MCU releases).

Marvel Future Fight is all-in on the BW movie tie ins. Both Yelena (same exact look as ours) and Red Guardian are coming to the game. They also have uniforms for those two as well as BW and Taskmaster to reflect the movie looks. There is also some special event or something? I've never played the game so it's hard to know exactly what the various content means.

Anyway, I guess it'll vary by game as far as what they do re: tying into a much-delayed movie.

It remains darkly humorous to me that we were saying "BW is years too late" in terms of making a movie about the character, and it's been delayed (at least) 6 months from the planned release date due to the world's situation.

EDIT: I realize MFF is a much bigger game and has a much bigger team but their communication to players puts MPQ's barely-there engagement to absolute shame.

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

I really like her red. I believe it will end up being better than some think initially.
    Purple seems OK too. A minor criticism for me is, it needs the enemy take action. But otherwise, it should give us options to abuse the AI's greedy play. :)
    Now green has a much bigger problem. She has no way of making enemy special tiles on her own.
    A less important issue I see is in a mirror match - they could deny each other's green all the time.

Overall, I still like her. Sounds like fun new mechanics to try out and make work with what we already had. Especially interested in the new weak color impact on team composition.

P. S.
    As far as MCU tie-ins go, at least she's definitely not a Wasp and seems stronger than CM...

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think her powers tie in as bring pretty "Widow-y" in theme MPQ style, all about annoying and being sneaky ( I mean how annoying can 2* Widow be to fight in Behemoth Burrito) so I like the sound of her from that basis.

• bluewolf
    Options

@jamesh said:
    If the enemy team doesn't have full rainbow coverage, then her green and purple powers will shift AP to an unusable colour, which will feed into her red passive. That could make the passive fire earlier in the match than you might otherwise expect.

I hadn't thought that through, that could be interesting. On the other hand, if the other team doesn't have any reason to chase that weak color, red may not trigger that much based on using purple. I suppose it would come into play in long matches or when the AI gets one of those annoying cascades.

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options

She looks interesting although it would have been nice if one of those powers that steals enemy attack power returned it to your team. Even still looks like she can cause some headaches between reducing enemies strongest AP, her interaction with special tiles.

As a big Hulk fan who would like to pull for him sooner than later, not thrilled with Yelena. I had planned to wait out Sinister and Havoc, but Yelena isn't the most attractive 5 to await.

I don't hate Yelena, just not in love with what were getting here. When the 5s hang in LL store for so long, it's rough when 2 of the 3 are really meh. I do think I'd like Yelena more than Sinister or Havoc though. Although with so many strong passive these days, she might not always help as much since things can get crazy off passive alone, doesn't always have to be the enemies strongest on use ability.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@tonypq said:
    She looks interesting although it would have been nice if one of those powers that steals enemy attack power returned it to your team. Even still looks like she can cause some headaches between reducing enemies strongest AP, her interaction with special tiles.

As a big Hulk fan who would like to pull for him sooner than later, not thrilled with Yelena. I had planned to wait out Sinister and Havoc, but Yelena isn't the most attractive 5 to await.

I don't hate Yelena, just not in love with what were getting here. When the 5s hang in LL store for so long, it's rough when 2 of the 3 are really meh. I do think I'd like Yelena more than Sinister or Havoc though. Although with so many strong passive these days, she might not always help as much since things can get crazy off passive alone, doesn't always have to be the enemies strongest on use ability.

The question you should ask is Yelena better than Sinister since he will leave next. Sinister is 100% trap dependent and can stop 10k damage for 2 Black AP. Yelena is more about AP denial with her powers. So the question is what are the biggest challenges you are facing in your game play. Would Sinisters black help you in challenge nodes when you get hit with 10k match damage or would Yelena AP denial be better to stop the AI from building AP?

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options

@wymtime said:

@tonypq said:

The question you should ask is Yelena better than Sinister since he will leave next. Sinister is 100% trap dependent and can stop 10k damage for 2 Black AP. Yelena is more about AP denial with her powers. So the question is what are the biggest challenges you are facing in your game play. Would Sinisters black help you in challenge nodes when you get hit with 10k match damage or would Yelena AP denial be better to stop the AI from building AP?

This is a good way to think about it for pve (and I think both 5s are unlikely to be in the PVP meta anytime soon). IMO, sinister looks superior as match damage is a much more pressing concern in CL10. We already have ways to mitigate enemy ap accrual that work in CL10 (lumber cap, board denial via halfthor, etc), so even if yelena's red is good, it's marginal value is somewhat low. but mitigating super high match damage is harder, and there aren't too many ways of matching what sinister's black can do (5Ice for powers and, if spec'd and team'd properly, prof $. There are also 3s and 4*s with DR, but they are much to squishy for 650s).