Update to S.H.I.E.L.D. Training

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,667 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    The other thing that honestly perplexes me about all of this is why do we not have more 4* PvP? If we had a greater percentage of 4* PvP then it would make the 4's more relevant because you would need them at high levels rather than just parked at 209 or below. After Maria's PvP we will never see it again - bam, she is immediately irrelevant. Yet players are hanging on to and in some cases even making copies of 3* characters. Surely the largest category of characters should feature across the bulk of the game? And there is zero amount of "new content" required - just make it so every season the players have a reason to use their 4's as the tier is so bloated.

Or am I as mad as shopper expecting to be able to buy some hand soap?
    For a while they ran 4* PVPs pretty often.  In December they even ran some interesting stuff like Evergreen, Festival of Fights etc.

Since then, just plain ol' vanilla 3* PVP.

I hate pick-3 PVP at this point, but 4* PVPs could be interesting.  I suppose the main problem is that even now there are lots of players (esp newer ones) who barely have 4's covered in general, just the main meta ones and therefore are put off by 4* pvps?  Or maybe they are running same ol' same ol' since SCL10 is still pretty new and they wanted to analyze the data/engagement with a focus on the rewards incentives over any other variables.  Pushing out more 4* PVP would change things a bit, I guess?

The point you raise is true about 3* players suffering a bit but at this point in the game I don't see where else to go. And the 3* players are up against it in 3 PvP anyway - just a while ago I had 2 max champed 3* Mags at my disposal - one for the week and one for Sunday best! So I could use him all day long and not care about healthpacks since I could switch them in and out and still be maxed out. Those guys boost past 400 if it is their PvP, the 3* guys can't compete any way. So you might as well mix it up and give the 4* some play because at this point Northstar is irrelevant, Maria is irrelevant, maybe Karolina is irrelevant. Karnak might get some play I guess, the rest of them why even bother putting iso in them? And that is just the last 4 releases.
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Options
    Random thought - I used to like the system reboot (I think that is what they were called) that rolled out with character re-balances.  I would love to see those again, with re-balances if they come again, or maybe with new characters, using loaners, but resulting in a cover at the end (or shards building to a full cover or more, as seems to be the new model)
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hello all. We had a design meeting about this just now. We have a lot on our plate at the moment but we have a plan forming. We won't get to implementing changes for a while. (I know.... I'm sorry) The NEXT 4* we release probably also won't have a SHIELD training (those take a surprising amount of time to create, even for the old "normal" way).

The ideas we are batting around sound like they'll do a better job of showcasing our character, and also addressing some of the concerns that have been brought up in this thread: SHIELD training as a source of resources, the freedom from time limits, a place to test drive a new character, a chance to get the new hotness.

Thanks for the feedback. Continued comments are valuable and will be considered. We appreciate the thought and effort in this thread, it's going to make SHIELD Training better when it returns.

When i see the term " for a while" I'm assuming we are talking months or years? 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hello all. We had a design meeting about this just now. We have a lot on our plate at the moment but we have a plan forming. We won't get to implementing changes for a while. (I know.... I'm sorry) The NEXT 4* we release probably also won't have a SHIELD training (those take a surprising amount of time to create, even for the old "normal" way).

The ideas we are batting around sound like they'll do a better job of showcasing our character, and also addressing some of the concerns that have been brought up in this thread: SHIELD training as a source of resources, the freedom from time limits, a place to test drive a new character, a chance to get the new hotness.

Thanks for the feedback. Continued comments are valuable and will be considered. We appreciate the thought and effort in this thread, it's going to make SHIELD Training better when it returns.

In that meeting, did feeders happen to come up?  There are a couple here who are lonely...  ;)

Beta Ray Bill (Korbinite Cyborg)
    Carnage (Prophet of Knull)
    Havok (Classic)
    Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex)
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2020
    Options

When i see the term " for a while" I'm assuming we are talking months or years? 
    My thoughts as well, we've seen the same replies for various features. Full plates, but we'll get to it. Aka, we'll let the disappointment subside then til the issue fads away and the customer base forgets about it.

Same thing happened with SC and supports. 

I mean, the devs had a very open opportunity to allow us access to supports with the scl reward changes, but jack nothing happened. So why should we assume ST is going to be an exception in this case. 

I desperately want to be proven wrong.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Thanks for the communication. It's great to hear you guys are taking feedback and trying to find ways to implement things to help with player concerns. Just please dont be as reclusive as the in game bagman ;).
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 517 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What I liked:
    • Try out the new 4* -- playing with the character is better than reading the text
    • Do-at-your-pace event
    • Another source of resources

What I didn't like:
    • Can't complete all the nodes due to not having the required characters at 209+

Overall, I took ST as an event not meant for me. Although it's 3:1 on the positives vs negatives, not being able to complete all the nodes seriously impacted how much pacing I needed and how many resources I'd actually be able to gather.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I haven't read through the pages of comments, but there are only two things I really didn't like:
    1.  Requiring a brand new character to be one of the required 209 characters.  This bothered me a lot early on, but not so much lately as I've ramped up my roster to be able to keep that pace generally.  Still changing this would be better for all.
    2.  The second is the bigger for me as it seems nearly impossible, that's the getting the LT which requires you to get all 13 covers during the first events.  I've made two different surges trying to get this LT and the most I could ever get was 11 or 12 covers and I'm a pretty hardcore player.  (Now I can't usually get above T50 in PvE because of TIME SLICES but that's a whole 'nother awful thing to fix please...)
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Not one hundred percent on board with all of that, but I really appreciate the effort to communicate in a constructive way...it’s refreshing. It would be amazing if that continued to happen.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
     I always felt like shield training should be for the new character; They should be reqd in each node: this could be one of those pay to play events: pay 20$ or 5khp and you get a cover when you unlock, then at each levelbreak and after the final 1v1but you need to complete the next progressive 1v1 to unlock the next higher tier which will end in another cover. 4 or 5 covers by the time your done and a bunch of iso or riso if they have an accompanying support.
    So offer a shield training AFTER the Release events and it’s essentially finishing the char off. A lot of people would bite with the state of dilution and exhaustion in the game.

What if shield training required 3* characters and awarded a 4 * cover? 

Keep the format the same and create a shield training for every character. open a whole new gameplay tab just for shield training.

Take the test run node and create its own “event” that runs for 10 days or so- every day the matchups change
  • Demiurge_[bagman]
    Demiurge_[bagman] Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks for the additional thoughts.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shield Training was fine, just use more established 4* that people have a better chance of covering, instead of the newest 4*.  Other than that, the event was really broken.  It was a nice but short option to try the new character, gather some tokens and iso and have a shot at a cover for the new 4*.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My thoughts? 

It’s already hard to roster a new character considering at least one character who was needed needed to have more than 50% of the character covered.

To compete at that level, just in PVE, takes more than two hours a day. If you include PVP, DDQ, LR, etc, that is at least 15 hours a week. Taking away the chance to roster a new character for those of us who play that much is taking a laugh at the amount of time we have each spent playing, and for some of us paying (like myself, because I am an addicted and sucker), for that ability to cover new characters.

Think I’ve reached my last straw. Hope it works out for y’all. I’m done after this season. 1-star review coming at the end of the season from me.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just bring back Shield Training, featuring NOT the latest character released few weeks prior.
    Or alternately, place the new character as progression rewards for a BOSS Alliance event, just like you did for Jubilee' s release, last year. 
    Considering that the game is aiming to a 5* meta and new 4* releases are mostly insignificant (except for a couple of characters in the last year) I don't think that, giving the possibility to the majority of players to gain 2 or 3 covers for a new character, could be so negative for the game economy.
    Instead, it could make the players base happy and willing to continue playing and support this game.

JMO of course  ;)
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think 4* characters are probably relevant to a large portion of the player base. I find them mostly useless, but I feel that is probably less significant than the people working from 3-4 which takes forever. Shield should be helping those people as much of not more than those of us who can manage to cover 4s naturally.

That said, if dilution doesn’t get addressed very soon the whole thing will be pointless because it takes much longer to cover all characters from 3* up than it used to. Reducing resource income was a huge mistake for the longevity of the game.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,962 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just watch, they're probably going to do something horrible like replacing the one free cover with 800 free shards. 

Remember the last time they tried to give us a whole ton of free shards?  We fought that then and we'll fight it again now!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,187 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Replacing one cover with 2, that won’t expire if left on the vine? How is that a negative?