Update to S.H.I.E.L.D. Training

Options

Hey everyone,

I know there is a conversation about this already in the Maria Hill announcement thread, but the team would like to start a conversation about it where it can get it's own attention (and people can continue to talk about Maria Hill =) ).

Back in October 2017, we introduced S.H.I.E.L.D. Training as a way to show off our new heroes and provide players with fun challenges for their rosters. Through the years, there’s been a lot of feedback on the event and we really appreciate it.

Starting with Maria Hill, we are removing S.H.I.E.L.D. Training from new character releases. We are taking this opportunity to revisit the concept and see if we can come up with something that more players will enjoy and look forward to.

To that end, we want to hear what you’d like to see in our new character events! How can we introduce our latest heroes in the most awesome way? We’d love to hear your thoughts and feedback as we explore options. We will check in on this thread and pop in to answer any questions you might have on new character events.

Thank you,

Demiurge Development team

Comments

• grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For context I’m on day 2110, almost to Shield level 163 and keep a complete roster (because I’m a collector, which, btw when are we gonna get a 5* Collector?)

i liked Shield training as it was an easy way to get a new 4* for my collection, unless it needed a level 209 of a just released, that would normally be a challenge for me to have, though with the SCL 10 level just one more pve or pvp with Karnak would have had me at 209 no problem so I didn’t see this as an issue going forward. 

The only other issue I had with Shield training was that it was basically impossible to get enough of the new character to finish the character levels at the bottom. Not that the prizes for those really reflected the effort needed to get them. 

It has has always been fun for me but I have all the 4* characters so I can see why it would be a struggle for newer players or those who simply haven’t gone after every single character. 
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I appreciate that you are trying to make new releases enjoyable for more players, but I definitely don't understand the logic of making a lot of players unhappy now by completely removing the current system while a new one is being devised.
    If we are going to be losing the SHIELD Training loaner node to try and figure out a new character handles, then I wouldn't mind seeing new characters getting a featured PvP on release with a fully covered or SCL scaled loaner rather than just a 1/1/1.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Feedback on shield training.  
    Positives: ability to get a new 4* from fairly easy progression for deep rosters.  Ability to try out a new character with levels right away.  Not time consuming to complete.

negatives.  The high level required for specific 4* to complete shield training especially when you are requiring new 4*.  Each shield training is exactly the same so there is no variety and no story to read.

ideas and concepts for new release: fewer releases.  Make a new character every 3-4 weeks.  Dilution is a huge problem and release another 4* just to keep up with a release schedule is not necessary.  By spreading out releases you can spend more time on new events improving PVP and communicating with the players.

2nd release a character with a boss event or a new story event.  Most players love trying new story events and enjoy boss events.  If you slow down the release schedule you can add a new story event every other month and have a boss event on alternate releases.  

3rd keep a progression only release system like shield training but remove the level requirements.  You might add more difficulty but overall it is an opportunity for more players to get a new character and spend HP.  I would even make the right column of shield training a loaner new 4* to try out against more teams instead of the 3 required 4*.  
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ***Mod note: Please keep comments constructive and on topic. Thank you.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I was fine with shield training the way it was, more often than not I didn't have all 3 of the required character leveled up enough, namely the newest one, but it was still nice to get all the other resources.  When I did happen to have all 3 characters and could get the new character cover that was just icing on the cake.

And now if feels like I have a better chance to have all 3 characters with 10 covers.  No change was need in my opinion.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Waddles_Pines: When you say " sandbox "danger room" where we can just fool around and try out new combos; without worrying about speed or getting attacked"  - who are you imagining you're fighting against? A training dummy? Or a variety of enemies/minions/heroes...?
    I can't speak for Waddles, but I would love a node where we can pick the enemies, and set their levels.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Besides the lost resources from eliminating SHIELD Training (which ppl with actual figures can talk about), my problem is that this was a showcase for the new character.  It allowed the player base to play around with the character in an un-timed manner.  The game also used to do that in the season main page.  We used to be able to play around with the new 5* with no pressure.  Resources notwithstanding, there should be a sandbox "danger room" where we can just fool around and try out new combos; without worrying about speed or getting attacked.  
    THIS!
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One of my favorite parts of shield training was getting to try a fully covered version of the new character. Sometimes the ally's they had or the enemies they faced didnt really showcase the new characters specialties. So if a new release event would allow us to select the teammates unlike shield training that would help a bit. Also if the enemies selected would be something that the new character specialized at. It was like kravens first few runs at being the featured character. The enemies did not make specials so it just made people dog on kraven even more.

• Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    edited March 2020
    Options
    All you had to do was not put a just released character in the mix and make it actually possible to participate.  *redacted*

*mod note: inappropriate comment removed, fight4thedream