Update to S.H.I.E.L.D. Training

Options

Comments

• 1EvilMan
    1EvilMan Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm another one that's for Shield Training. Why take something out of the game if you're not replacing it with something else? There's  already a shortage of pve content that hasn't been played to death.

I'd rather have something that I may not be able to finish than not have anything at all. 
  • Steve111
    Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The best way to release a new 4* is to do it in a pve format. Maybe a pve event where players can earn enough shards in a non timed event, enough to cash in for one cover. 
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Demiurge_Anthony

Can I ask a basic question?
    What has been the historical participation for Shield Training?
    Plus how that compared to what you as a development team had thought it would play?

It seems from my perspective something has not lined up with developer intent and player practice. 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I know I have complained in the past about not having a 4-star to level 209 for some of these events, but I still got roughly 9000 in ISO by being able to complete all the levels with at least 2 of the characters, four cover draws/chances at rostering the character from an exclusive vault that featured him (from the two characters and two from the group being at a desired level), and eventually 1 or 2 CP when I got covers from the character from placement in events. The 209 threshold pushed me from complacency to leveling my 4 stars to at least that level, and in my case, actually pushed me to leveling a majority of my 4 stars to champs over the span of a year, so I'm only chasing the new releases (aside from Talos, who let's be honest, developers, is just dead weight on any roster).
    The only times I really complained were when there was a less than likely chance I could get one of the characters to 10 covers before the event ended. I actually have praised the S.H.I.E.L.D. Training when it featured more classic characters on these forums.
    I think removing this removes the incentive/carrot to starting rosters to push more of their 4-stars to the 209 or above level. I don't like seeing any resources disappear from the game at any time, as all ISO or cover draws help my roster improve. I also loved that there was no time limit to S.H.I.E.L.D. Training nodes, that you could tackle them when you had the time. 
    Stop removing elements of the game and listen to the criticisms being leveled at you. I didn't dislike this feature, just that sometimes things were too much of a crunch to have all of the 4 stars at level 209.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would say SHIELD Training was fine, other than the latest 4* being featured too soon. Allow more people to be able to finish it by making the second newest essential, as someone else suggested. 

I would be incredibly surprised though if it comes back and isn't heavily nerfed. They nerf everything that doesn't need it and leave everything as is that does. 
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Echoing pretty much everyone else, it STUNK when we had a required four star who had just been added to packs the week or day of SHIELD training go live. But, with some advance notice, it was a fun/tough scramble to get that required up to level 250.
    Easy fix seems to be just not do that instead of eliminating SHIELD training all together, changing the ability to get the newest four star from "possible" to "not at all."
    Tough fix is all players get one cover (or equivalent of shards) and HP to roster said new four star. 
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My only issue with it was it seemed like EVERY TIME a character who hadn't been in tokens the previous two weeks was essential for it. And EVERY TIME it seemed like the communication was 'whoops we didn't mean to do that we won't do that again.' And EVERY TIME that got ignored.

Three "forced" characters for a chance to earn a cover? Cool. One of those being a character you didn't have a chance to build unless you placed highly in that character's release PVE/PVP two weeks previously? Nah fam.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Waddles_Pines: When you say " sandbox "danger room" where we can just fool around and try out new combos; without worrying about speed or getting attacked"  - who are you imagining you're fighting against? A training dummy? Or a variety of enemies/minions/heroes...?

Neoktheone: I'm interested that you liked the forced three characters. Thanks for the feedback. Curious to know if this is a widespread opinion!

Daredevil217"There is a long history of things being removed to be “re-evaluated” but never get touched on again. ...then the communication shut down and nothing changed. So the perception real or not is that we’re not being listened to."   I understand the sentiment. We want to do better, we also understand there's a lot of ground to make up. 

Mayo: "feature the second latest 4* instead of the latest in shield training"  Thanks for the thought. 

@Demiurge_[bagman]

Truthfully either or would be fine.  Ideally it would be selectable enemies/levels so you can figure out how to get past certain teams (*cough* bishop *cough*), but that sounds like it would take a lot of development resources.  

Also, depends on what is the purpose of the "danger room", to showcase the last few characters (maybe last 10...) or to showcase every character.  There are merits to both approaches.  If it's just for latest, then having training dummies, or enemies that they were designed to go against would be good.  If it's for every character, then being able to choose enemies makes more sense.  Or you could have a few preset character teams: minions, heroes, or dark avengers  o:)

And, since this thread is being actively monitored, one more suggestion (slight off topic) that I've made before.  Maybe you can recruit players from the forum, line, reddit, discord, in game, etc., to be part of player input panels.  Plenty of people love this game and would volunteer to give input on potential changes.  Rotate the "council" every couple or weeks to get new voices.  You can ask us for out IGN so you can see our roster strength's, scl's, etc. to make a well rounded "council"... as long as we're not all named Reed....
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,187 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Demiurge_Anthony @Demiurge_[bagman]

I would pose back to you the following questions: Who is this event for, and what is its purpose? 

Only the dev team can fully know those answers, so I can recount what it meant to me across its lifespan.

when I was a 4* player, My driving concern was a complete roster so I could have full access to event nodes. I wanted to be able to participate in every crash, story, alliance event, etc, so I’d play hard on release events. Shield Training at that time was aspirational: someday I’ll be able to hit that LT, but in the meantime let me get a starter cover so I can hit full progression on the next event. So my goal went from “1 of everybody” to “10 of everybody.” Then, once that happened, I’d let the Shield Training required characters drive my iso8 spend as I parked them at lvl 209. 

This meant that my Bonus Hero would Park on a 4* until they hit 10, then it was on to the next. My 3* hero was parked on feeders (even to the point of flipping them or growing early duplicates for lower in the reward tree colors I needed) until all the fed 4*s were champed.

after a certain point, I decided it was time to start chasing 5*s on purpose, so I put away 4* things and parked my bonus hero on America Chavez for AN ENTIRE HUMAN YEAR chasing Jessica Jones. In that actual fraction of my lifespan I was occasionally able to complete all three columns in ST, but I’d say as often as not I had 2/3 in a state I could do it. I was fine with it, because of the additional resources.

Now that SCL10 is live, I have 9 champed 5*s, and there are effectively 3 covers for a character in progression, I continue to chase feeders over new releases. Because I don’t need new 4*s anymore for competitive advantage (who aren’t Bishop and WCap of course). At this stage of my play, ST represents a low-effort single cover on those releases where I don’t have the capability to seriously chase placement.

basically problematic required characters and completely unsynergistic team composition aside, this event is pretty subtle at being something for almost all players. Removing it is a quantifiable negative to essentially all players of the game at every stage. Please replace it with SOMEthing if you can’t fix it.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, with all of these lame decisions lately like nerfing hp and nerfing alliance sub rewards in Strange Sights I'm getting even closer to being done with this game. And announcing a new character and then saying that you were "reevaluating" Shield Training was really dumb.

Here's what you should have done.

"Hey, guys, check out this new 4*. She's essentially a low health 4* Sentry that can go invisible. Cool, right? No? Ehh. We ran out of ideas. Whatevs. Anyway, we will be removing Shield Training to look at how we can improve it. However, we know that many of you like to take advantage of the resources that you can get from Shield Training so until we bring it back we will have Gwen Prix take its place. It will be a double iso event and let you earn shards for the new 4* Maria Hill!"
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Of course now that I have everyone except Karnak (and Spider-Ham and Taskmaster) to lvl 209 they get rid of Shield training.

The last few I’ve been able to complete. But it’s not only a cover for the new 4* we’re missing out on. It’s the resources 5 tokens, all that ISO. And then all the cp if you were able to get enough covers to fight the one-on-ones.

It really seems all the new features lately have been taken away resources in some aspect. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    See, I feel like even if we provide decent feedback, the solution will end up being some sort of vault or an expensive bundle. 

Shield training was fine, most of the annoyances that came when there was a new character requirement that 99% of the community wouldn't have anywhere close to covered.

Handing out 1 "free" cover (that you have to work for) doesn't seem like a hard ask. This game has been coming across very stingy lately. With the high cost bundles, removal of bonus heroes and now the removal of shield training, game doesn't feel very player friendly.