Token Previewing

Comments

• Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    fmftint said:
    This isn’t counting cards;  this is cheating.  Knowingly taking steps that have nothing to do with the game to exploit your token pulls to determine whether or not you want to pull.

Lets keep this on-topic as I’m hoping at least someone will pipe up from the official voices side to say this is good or otherwise.
    Except counting cards you can leverage your bets to increase your winnings. Previewing tokens simply shows what is there.  There's nothing you can fo to increase your odds,  to change the draw,  to gain anything extra.  What's the now will still be there in a week,  month,  year.  If your sequence now is 4,4,4,4,5,4,5,5,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4  it will remain until those draws are pulled

Surely the point is it lets you check limited stores such as the recent Okoye one to let you know if you are going to get good results and thus make a decision whether to commit CP or not, thus gaming the system.
    Good run, spend CP, bad run keep for next store/latest/classics.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    I can already spot all the previewers
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    The other item here is that there is another feature that rewards hoarding. The devs have also stated that they dislike hoarding but continue to roll out features and not fix features which reward them. 
  • Vladdy
    Vladdy Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    I doubt that it would be extremely "expensive" to deal with the previewing issue.

Let's assume the goal is not to completely fix it but to improve the situation and making it more fair. As @fmftint said the pull sequence in terms of 4* or 5* pulls won't change per store. But different stores have different sequences that provide the opportunity to optimise your overall 5* pull rate by managing you resource expenditure (if you do preview).

Let's think about that they would use one sequence for the classic legends store (and any possible future store with a 20 CP per pull cost) and another sequence for latest legends and any other store with a 25 CP per pull cost.

That way you should not be able to improve your 5* pull rate by previewing special stores (just the pulled 5* characters are different but not the amount).

Maybe I am missing something but that could be an "easy enough" improvement I think.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    ursopro said:
    3 pages in and I still don't understand how all this works...

Neither do I, but that is because no one is allowed to explain it to you. The post would be removed, they would likely get at least a warning if not a ban, and their account might be frozen.

Just take it as an opportunity to feel good that you're not cheating because it's inherently wrong, not just because you don't know how to do it.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don’t think it’s anymore against the spirit of the game than line collusion for pvp.

I also don’t think it’s a big deal, only marginally useful in special stores. No use for classics or Latest pulls where probably 99% of the draws are done.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vladdy said:
    I doubt that it would be extremely "expensive" to deal with the previewing issue.

Let's assume the goal is not to completely fix it but to improve the situation and making it more fair. As @fmftint said the pull sequence in terms of 4* or 5* pulls won't change per store. But different stores have different sequences that provide the opportunity to optimise your overall 5* pull rate by managing you resource expenditure (if you do preview).

Let's think about that they would use one sequence for the classic legends store (and any possible future store with a 20 CP per pull cost) and another sequence for latest legends and any other store with a 25 CP per pull cost.

That way you should not be able to improve your 5* pull rate by previewing special stores (just the pulled 5* characters are different but not the amount).

Maybe I am missing something but that could be an "easy enough" improvement I think.
    Well....let's consider this for a minute.

Currently each store as it enters the game generates some string of results for each user at random.  It's locked in as soon as the store is - I assume - in the code which is downloaded to your device and you next open the app (probably even before it appears on your screen, since that happens instantly).  Which seems like a fairly straightforward thing to code for.  It's done, it works, they've got it down to the point where it is probably extremely routine.

What you are describing is to have a new store somehow interact with the existing locked in Latest pull string - something that the game does not have anywhere else between stores.  And to make the results vary (in terms of pull results) depending on which storefront you clicked on.  So the same string in Latest might give you a BRB next while pulling in the Sinister CP store gives you a Sinister, let's say.  Oh, and to make sure that the new store accurately advanced along the results chain and interacted with pulls in Latests and any other CP store (s) (have they ever had 2 special CP stores open at once?  I think they did once, anyway).  Done wrong and you could see how new exploits/bugs could arise (chain doesn't advance, you get 2 5s instead of 1, etc).  

This seems like a system that would require a lot more coding (as each new store would have to be set up correctly) and QA (to make sure that the new store did indeed give you a Sinister instead of a BRB because oops!). It might not even be possible to build a store that gave you different results from that chain, just because you made the pull on a different screen with the existing game code and engine.  

Hence, expense is added to every single new CP store.  (Not to mention that to verify the store was accurately pulling from the string, you would need to preview the pair of stores, lulz.)

To me, it  seems it is not a low-cost endeavor to do this and might be far more expensive (in terms of ongoing time/money spent to ensure proper operation) than the current workflow they have around building new CP stores.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crazy we even need to debate if this is cheating or not. 

@IceIX - Would you weigh in here for clarity please? Not concerned with if it will be addressed or not, just if the team considers the practice cheating. This way we can stop “imposing our morals” if you fellas don’t give a flip.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:
    Crazy we even need to debate if this is cheating or not. 

@IceIX - Would you weigh in here for clarity please? Not concerned with if it will be addressed or not, just if the team considers the practice cheating. This way we can stop “imposing our morals” if you fellas don’t give a flip.
    don't expect an answer here. Think about what you are asking for. There is no way Ice can win by responding to that post.  If he says 'it's cheating,' then Demi kinda has to do something about it (which is technically difficult).  And if he says 'no,' then this thread just gets to be a bigger comms problem.  And keeping this board under control is Ice's job.

• Vladdy
    bluewolf said:

Thank you for taking the time and share your thoughts about my comment.

When 5* characters leave/enter latest legends the string remains the same. So I guess that they don't lock in the specific pulled character but more likely the index and the store knows what character currently occupies that index.

Anyway I am still not convinced that it is that bad as you seem to think but maybe I am too optimistic.

Yes, there are definitely problems that they would have to deal with if they want to change something about previewing. But I highly doubt that they do want. So I guess it will just stay with us.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vladdy said:
    bluewolf said:

Thank you for taking the time and share your thoughts about my comment.

When 5* characters leave/enter latest legends the string remains the same. So I guess that they don't lock in the specific pulled character but more likely the index and the store knows what character currently occupies that index.

Anyway I am still not convinced that it is that bad as you seem to think but maybe I am too optimistic.

Yes, there are definitely problems that they would have to deal with if they want to change something about previewing. But I highly doubt that they do want. So I guess it will just stay with us.
    All very true.  Previewing has been around and known for years.  If you think about it, they resolved the re-roll exploit with the locked-in string vs stopping players from previewing at all.   

This leads me to believe they consider it to be closer to an annoyance vs a drain on potential revenue.  That, or the resources/changes required to eliminate previewing was too big of a hurdle to take on (if even possible with the game as it was built - the engine is new but the base code is still 6 years old).

The fact is that the team is small (about 21 members according to the Credits) and QA is already a major hurdle just from a "test this new character and its interactions with 200 others" point of view.  It is clear that they are limited in their ability to take on side projects which is, from my perspective, where you would have to put the goal of "stop previewing".

I could be wrong about costs and such, not knowing their internal processes, but I think that if a fix introduces a new ongoing complexity and cost to their processes, it would not be easy for them to adopt.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    It is a simple fix to me, if it is able to be coded.  The game syncs to the cloud every time you claim a 5* cover from token draws.  This will stop previewing but not cause unreasonable syncing/delay issues since it doesn't do it after every 4* cover draw....which will happen to be most legendary tokens  :'(
  • Tony_Foot
    How would that fix it, all it would mean is you could only preview up to the first 5* then it would time out. I’d be happy with a fix but I don’t think it’s that simple. They would still get to see what was next in your scenario.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 583 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2020
    All OP is accomplishing is spreading the word to people who hadn't already known about previewing.  And since he seems to be so much against it, the creation of this topic seems counterproductive.

And it is ridiculous to call it cheating.  All it is is making a more informed decision.  You can't increase your pull rate or gain any other advantage.  You're still getting the exact same value whether you preview it or not.  Also, it is not an unfair advantage since the ability is available to every player.

Back in the day, did OP write a stern letter to Konami about the unfair use of the Contra code that was available to EVERYONE?
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:
    Seems like a hot button issue. I guess some folks would like to avoid the sandbox.

If it isn’t cheating, why would they care if you pass the knowledge around? Also in contra that code, the “cheat” code was cheating.
    @killahKlown Also contra was not putting you in direct competition with 1000's of other players worldwide. If an in game "exploit" allows you to see things you normally wouldnt see in regular use I would consider it cheating if you consistently use that for whatever your own reasons may be.
  • Tony_Foot
    To be fair this thread is pointless as you can’t offer up ways to fix it, when you can’t discuss what’s happening when it happens and why it makes it so hard to prove someone has done anything wrong. I’m more than happy for them to close this off, then they can close off the pvp cheating and collusion too, opps my mistake that one makes them money!
  • Tony_Foot
    OJSP said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    that one makes them money!
    Who said this isn't making them money too?
    How? Everyone seems against it because it saves pulls not uses more? Nothing like the shields that gets spent I’m sure.
  • Vladdy
    edited February 2020
    You can't increase your pull rate or gain any other advantage.  You're still getting the exact same value whether you preview it or not.
    That is only true if you look at every store separately. But your CP can be spend on every store.

By avoiding special stores with a bad pull rate (< 15%) and spending your CP only on special stores with a good pull rate (> 15%) you can increase your overall pull rate if that is your goal.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 583 Critical Contributor
    Vladdy said:
    You can't increase your pull rate or gain any other advantage.  You're still getting the exact same value whether you preview it or not.
    That is only true if you look at every store separately. But your CP can be spend on every store.

By avoiding special stores with a bad pull rate (< 15%) and spending your CP only on special stores with a good pull rate (> 15%) you can increase your overall pull rate if that is your goal.
    I suppose.  But everyone has this option...  there is no unfair advantage.