How long until Prof X is gone?

Options
spatenfloot
spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
Obligatory when does he leave latest post.

Comments

• spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pretty sure this next event he's required as a 5 star is his last until he's in rotation as one of the classics. I'm one cover away from having him champed.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hard to say 100% since they sometimes do things unpredictably. 

However, they say the next 5 is the week of 1/27, therefore should be 1/30.  If they follow Carnage’s “Latest two weeks after HP store opens” rule it will be 2/13 when the next 5 pushes poor Charlie off the cliff into Classic limbo. A Super Villain indeed!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am a bit torn whether to spend some before he leaves as he is quite nicely covered and I love me done BRB but...Carbage...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I am a bit torn whether to spend some before he leaves as he is quite nicely covered and I love me done BRB but...Carbage...
    Save your resources dude. My spider sense tells me 5* meta changing magneto is coming!!!

NB. I expect to be proved an utter moron once the character is released. 
    Well Spider Sense is a well trusted guide and Alexis says Carbage ain't so bad so I shall follow your advice, Jedi Masters! Moron, not you shall be!
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Save your resources dude. My spider sense tells me 5* meta changing magneto is coming!!!

Well Spider Sense is a well trusted guide and Alexis says Carbage ain't so bad so I shall follow your advice, Jedi Masters! Moron, not you shall be!
    Carnage was better than I expected when I finally got his green cover. With Medusa and Kitty and special tile spawning supports, the board was full and I was constantly healing. I actually enjoying using him during his previous essential. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Conventional wisdom for people in this position is always to wait. There is always that sweet spot between when the next character gets previewed with full numbers but they have not rotated in yet. That small window is the optimal time to decide how to spend your resources. 

[Though with the developers communication devolving rapidly, it is only a matter of time before they stop previewing characters and they just “show up” one day]. 
  • bluewolf
    Options
    The lead time between a 5 release and then entering Latest is the “whale advantage” (or maybe hoarder advantage if you have enough CP and they are meta enough to break on the new release store). 

You get a new character boost day 1, and it ends 4 weeks later under current dev scheduling. So it benefits the whales/early adopters to chase a new strong/meta 5 immediately and (potentially) dominate pvp while the riff raff who wait for Latests.

All of this is to say I don’t see them eliminating the timespan between release and a 5 entering Latests. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Conventional wisdom for people in this position is always to wait. There is always that sweet spot between when the next character gets previewed with full numbers but they have not rotated in yet. That small window is the optimal time to decide how to spend your resources. 

[Though with the developers communication devolving rapidly, it is only a matter of time before they stop previewing characters and they just “show up” one day]. 
    This!  You should never be opening LTs at any time except the interstitial period between the announcent of a new 5* and their rotation into the LT pool.  If the new 5* is unappealing, open the current set, and if the new 5* is good, then wait until the NEXT 5* is announced to make the same evaluation again. 

The only exception would be an obviously meta 5* like original gambit, where having that character will make a huge, immediate impact on your game performance.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pretty sure this next event he's required as a 5 star is his last until he's in rotation as one of the classics. I'm one cover away from having him champed.
    Exactly the same situation here.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Already champed my chuck and started stocking up for the next batch.  14 LTs and counting, first hoard post my return.  
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

Drew my 13th cover for him today. Well, 14th, since I have one saved cover and am 150 shards away from another champ level for him, with Prof X4 one cover away from those shards. My first 5 star with 13 covers!!! Not going to move into 5 star land with just him, though.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

Drew my 13th cover for him today. Well, 14th, since I have one saved cover and am 150 shards away from another champ level for him, with Prof X4 one cover away from those shards. My first 5 star with 13 covers!!! Not going to move into 5 star land with just him, though.
    Prof is already in Latests longer than the old standard 18 weeks and looks like he’ll hold the all time high record by the time he leaves.  So it makes sense that people will cover him more easily than a lot of others. 

Congrats!
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm sure they will just pull the rug out from beneath people like last time. 
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Prof. X was added in August, Carnage in October and Beta Ray in December. I expect the next 5* to come out in late February.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    Prof. X was added in August, Carnage in October and Beta Ray in December. I expect the next 5* to come out in late February.
    The Sneak Peek thread says the next 5 will come the week of 1/27, so next week (1/30).  Carnage went to Latests 2 weeks after the HP release, BRB went early but that was probably they weren't going to be in the office 2 weeks after he was released.

So my prediction is 2/13 for Latests.  They want to give the super whales an early adopter advantage while giving other players a reason to move on a 5 two weeks later, while they have a new character boost.
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I honestly don’t know how to feel about him leaving.  The game has decreed “you shall have Professor X and like it”.  Without hoarding I have him at level 473, and my second best is at 457 (Ice). 

I love playing with him because he’s a good character, I use him a lot, and the champ rewards don’t suck.  So I’m not at all unhappy when I see him pop up. But with only 5 Carnage and 4 Bills I kinda want to draw something else. But still...it will feel like something special passed out of my life when he leaves LTs. 
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm with you Andi, my Xavier pulls have been very lopsided. I have 17 Chuck covers (2 from champ rewards), 9 Icemen (2 from Champ rewards), 7 Carnage, and 1 BRB. That was from pulling LTs as soon as I had the CP.

Now that I finally have a Bill, I am saving up until the next 5* moves into the Latest 3.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pulling as I go, i just landed my 460th level for PX; he's pretty rad though so I'm not too upset about it.
  • StillMonsoon3
    StillMonsoon3 Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    Funny how RNG works. My Prof is 5/2/2 with 4 saved covers. Never needed cover swaps more than now. On the other end Carbage is 0/4/0 and BRB is building nicely at 2/2/3 (progressed ideally from 1/1/1 and then 2/2/2/).