**** Northstar (Classic) ****

1235»

Comments

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Just tested with Archangel in the middle, and the enemy didn't get stunned or take damage.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's a strange behaviour. Archangel's passive triggers when Riri or Nova sends enemy airborne. However, they send enemies airborne for more than one turn.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    That's a strange behaviour. Archangel's passive triggers when Riri or Nova sends enemy airborne. However, they send enemies airborne for more than one turn.
    Yep, unfortunate. Go ahead and either of you post in the bugs forum if interested.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Hmm, if the "airborne" status doesn't last until northstar's turn, then I would guess it's an order of operations thing with the expiration of status effects.  The "airborne" status is only one round so it's probably wiped away at the beginning of a new round, immediately before the friendly passives cycle.

I think that is how stun works (at least I know that I need a stun status of at least 2 turns if I want to get the bonus DD damage from passives/CDs at the beginning of my next turn)
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Just had a good chuckle when Northstar sent my Vulture airborne... and I had 10 blue AP. 
    I don't think he will do that again.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    Having used him in his PVP, I can see how he has some utility when he's an essential.  The blue is nice to gather AP, it could be useful for taking out a row of stuff you don't want around (strikes, for example).  His yellow could be a weird anti-Bishop move since invisibility will counter a stun as well.

All that said, he's not nearly good enough to chase in any significant way (past 10 covers or so, anyway) when the game is diluted the way it is and the only way to make reasonable progress on someone is to target them.  You need to focus on the more useful characters.  Well, you should, anyway.  Every character is someone's favorite, I guess.

I think he's pretty well done and some of his powers were fun to use.  Using black to send one person airborne, and they landed and the other person got a huge damage hit (thanks, Okoye) - that was kind of fun.
  • 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    I have NorthStar lvl 74 1 black, 1 yellow. Really boring, I don’t think I can remember any fight where 1 round invisible could make a difference. Perhaps someone has a suggestion?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    111MCH111 said:
    I have NorthStar lvl 74 1 black, 1 yellow. Really boring, I don’t think I can remember any fight where 1 round invisible could make a difference. Perhaps someone has a suggestion?
    As I alluded to above, invisibility will replace a different status.  My Northstar is 2/3/4 so I have a pretty good feel for him, I think.  Anyway, if a teammate is stunned, you might use yellow and get lucky with the random targeting, ending up with them becoming invisible vs stunned and therefore useable.

I suppose it is canonical that this invisibility is only one turn, since he's temporarily blinding you vs someone like IW or Professor X.

None of this is to say he's anything other than a middle-of-the-pack character in terms of usefulness, IMO.  Someone that you can use and not feel bad about it exactly, but hard to justify chasing if your goal is top game performance.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Northstar's power name bugs me. "Running Free". I mean, he can fly at superspeed so why would he ever bother running anywhere?  That would be like being given the option: Super cool jetpack or hiking boots. Unless do you think flying non stop makes him get fat and then he has to hit the gym? He is Canadian and they do like their syrup and bacon. Imagine Northstar on one of those treadmills, I bet he burns out the motors on them all the time and gets banned. No wonder he has to go jogging instead, no gym will take him. Poor Northstar. I have changed my mind -the devs got that spot on.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Suggestions:
    Blue: Raise the damage level
    Yellow: Select the ally you want to target. Or perhaps, lowest health, or anything deterministic -- not random.
    Black: Get rid of the damage component. It's so low, it's useless anyway. Then consider bumping some of the other numbers.

Perhaps:
    1 - 1 AP, 2 tiles
    2 - 2 AP, 2 tiles
    3 - 3 AP, 2 tiles (or maybe 3 tiles?)
    4 - 3 AP, 3 tiles (or maybe 5 tiles?)
    5 - 2 turns airborne

Considering the airborne seems to be there so that you can't spam black many times in the same turn, it'd be nice if he can destroy more than 3AP at 5 covers. Or maybe a condition that he can destroy 1 or 2 more AP as long as his yellow CD is on the board so at least we have more reasons to play his yellow. 

I understand that he destroys 3AP and some tiles to prevent the opponent from making matches in that color, but it's unreliable. The new tiles that fill the board before passing your turn to the opponent might be in the destroyed color anyway.

bluewolf said:
    I think he's pretty well done and some of his powers were fun to use.  Using black to send one person airborne, and they landed and the other person got a huge damage hit (thanks, Okoye) - that was kind of fun.
    So the damage is dealt to the current target and not the one you sent airborne? I thought I misunderstood that part and now I'm confused  :(  Maybe I should try his PvP event.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2020
    I know you changed your mind, but IIRC, there is canon for this (might have just been a single panel in a one off or Wolverine comic).
    Basically someone asked him the same thing and his response was something along the lines of staying in shape.

Also
    Witness my necro powers!
  • Speed283
    Speed283 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I am rather new here and don’t want to be placed in higher MMR, would acquiring Northstar be a good or bad idea?
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Speed283 said:
    I am rather new here and don’t want to be placed in higher MMR, would acquiring Northstar be a good or bad idea?
    He's not a meta character or even a strong one that can carry your team. I personally wouldn't make him the only strong 4-star in my roster.